Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 PM
"Will F."

Default Samba

Hi,
I recently found a need for me to setup a Samba share for some quick and dirty file copying. I already knew how to do this, but was wondering if it would be worth while to add it to the tips & tricks or howto section.*
Thanks!-will

Old 08-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Ned Slider

Will F. wrote:
Hi,

I recently found a need for me to setup a Samba share for some quick and dirty file copying. I already knew how to do this, but was wondering if it would be worth while to add it to the tips & tricks or howto section.

Thanks!
-will

Hi Will,

I was recently discussing with Akemi (toracat) the need for some Samba
documentation on the Wiki as we see quite a few questions on the forums
from new users, so I'd say go for it.

Ralph may need to give you permissions or create a page for you (please).

Ned

Old 08-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Ned Slider wrote:

Will F. wrote:

Hi,

I recently found a need for me to setup a Samba share for some quick
and dirty file copying. I already knew how to do this, but was
wondering if it would be worth while to add it to the tips & tricks or
howto section.

Thanks! -will

Hi Will,

I was recently discussing with Akemi (toracat) the need for some Samba
documentation on the Wiki as we see quite a few questions on the forums
from new users, so I'd say go for it.

Ralph may need to give you permissions or create a page for you (please).

Ned

Hmm, let's coordinate first about Samba .. if there is *one* package
that can be configured in multiple ways to do the same thing, that's
surely samba ;-)
To be honnest, just writing a 'how to create a share on samba' wiki page
is not enough (my opinion) .. but explaining how to configure the
backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how
to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem
ACLs . etc .. is duplicating the official howto ..

Other thoughts on that ?
--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 08-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Ned Slider

Fabian Arrotin wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Will F. wrote:

[...]

I was looking at it with a view to writing a Wiki guide, but when I
started researching the documentation I got kind of daunted by it and
then wondered if I'd be able to do the topic justice. At that point I
put the whole idea on the back burner.

If someone wants to tackle it, I say go for it. I'll agree it's
certainly not a quick/easy topic to cover for the newer user primarily
as there are a lot of ancillary topics where knowledge is required and
there are lots of different ways to go about achieving the same goals,
not to mention some just want quick and dirty file shares whereas others
want Windows AD integration (or anything in between). This is why I
backed away from the idea of writing something myself!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:09 PM
"Will F."

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It always seemed to me that HowTo pages catered to those people who didn't want to read "millions of pages of manpages" and just wanted things to work now. Turnkey solutions. I completely agree that an article on how to setup a simple public share is REALLY easy and all it takes is a quick Google search or skim of the smb.conf man page. But at the same time, so are the rest of the articles. My vision for this HowTo is really giving the yum command to grab the package, a basic smb.conf, the location on where to put it, and the service name on how to start it. That way someone can get a share up in less than 5 minutes. I believe these are the more CentOS-related bits of Samba.

Getting deeper into the advanced topics of Samba "explaining how to configure the backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem ACLs" seem better suited for samba.org since anyone who wants to implement that really needs intimate knowledge of their environment. I don't think they would want to read a summarized version in a CentOS wiki.

Comments?

Thanks,
-will

Old 08-31-2008, 04:27 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Will F. <will@digitaldev.com> wrote:
> Hi Fabian,
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>
> It always seemed to me that HowTo pages catered to those people who didn't want to read "millions of pages of manpages" and just wanted things to work now. Turnkey solutions. I completely agree that an article on how to setup a simple public share is REALLY easy and all it takes is a quick Google search or skim of the smb.conf man page. But at the same time, so are the rest of the articles. My vision for this HowTo is really giving the yum command to grab the package, a basic smb.conf, the location on where to put it, and the service name on how to start it. That way someone can get a share up in less than 5 minutes. I believe these are the more CentOS-related bits of Samba.
>
> Getting deeper into the advanced topics of Samba "explaining how to configure the backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem ACLs" seem better suited for samba.org since anyone who wants to implement that really needs intimate knowledge of their environment. I don't think they would want to read a summarized version in a CentOS wiki.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thanks,
> -will

I agree with your view. I would suggest you get started with a draft
and we can all join in and make it most suitable for CentOS users.

Akemi

P.S. Could you try avoiding top-posting? Thanks.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Ned Slider

Akemi Yagi wrote:

[...]

Agreed - many hands make light work for a task like this.

As a thought - I'm wondering if the topic needs slitting up into
multiple sections/pages? Maybe something like:

An introduction/overview to samba (users, file permissions etc)
Basic samba setup with example (security=share)
Group shares with examples (security=user)
Printing
AD integration
etc ...

That way folks could chip in more easily on the bits they feel able to
contribute towards and it needn't seem like a herculean task from the
outset.

Thoughts?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Scott Robbins

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:51:24PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Will F. <will@digitaldev.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Fabian,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>>>

>>> Getting deeper into the advanced topics of Samba "explaining how to configure the backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem ACLs" seem better suited for samba.org since anyone who wants to implement that really needs intimate knowledge of their environment. I don't think they would want to read a summarized version in a CentOS wiki.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -will
>>
>> I agree with your view. I would suggest you get started with a draft
>> and we can all join in and make it most suitable for CentOS users.
>>
>> Akemi
>>

> Agreed - many hands make light work for a task like this.
>
> As a thought - I'm wondering if the topic needs slitting up into
> multiple sections/pages? Maybe something like:
>
> An introduction/overview to samba (users, file permissions etc)
> Basic samba setup with example (security=share)
> Group shares with examples (security=user)
> Printing
> AD integration
> etc ...

That seems to me to be the best way. Let's try to put ourselves in the
shoes of someone who just tried to set up samba. Ok, he can go to the
basic guide that Will writes. (Or anyone--and yeah, those of us using
older versions of EMC Celerra at work are stuck on CentOS 4.4--I've lost
track, I think it was Will who mentioned they'd overlooked people using
older versions, but as we're talking about Samba, it's appropriate. 5.x
versions don't work, and I haven't yet tried with later versions of 4.x,
though I have to once my current project is done.)

Ok, that's the home user. Now come the sysadmins, and for them,
something like AD might be important. So, they go to the CentOS wiki,
and they see, aha, an AD article. (If anyone is interested, I have my
own--though about 96 percent is from the samba wiki--at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/adsamba.html. )
And so forth--therefore, I think this idea is excellent.

I would also make the strong recommendation that EVERY article about
samba makes reference to the troubleshooting guides CentOS provides in
the /usr/share/doc/ directory--it's also on the samba website at
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html

That can really be an invaluable resource for all levels of user.

> That way folks could chip in more easily on the bits they feel able to
> contribute towards and it needn't seem like a herculean task from the
> outset.
>
> Thoughts?

See above.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Colonel: Every inch of this installation is under constant, 24-hour
surveillance.
Willow: Including the secret lab?
Colonel: Everything! (pause) What secret lab?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Ned Slider