FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-01-2008, 04:58 AM
Scott Robbins
 
Default Samba

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:52:59PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:51:24PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
>>>
>>>
>
> When I was reading through some documentation a few weeks ago,
> specifically the "Samba by Example" book:
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
>
> I was surprised that the "more basic" examples were commonly using
> security = share. I thought I had read somewhere in the past that
> security = share was either deprecated or at least not recommended hence
> my surprise at seeing it being used in the official documentation.
> Personally I've always used user level security but share level would
> certainly ease a few potential headaches for new users requiring a
> "quick and dirty" share.
>
> Just so we're all on the same page, does anyone know (or have any views)

I don't have enough knowledge to state an informed opinion--however,
you're not wrong, I also definitely remember coming across the fact that
security = share was either deprecated or at least not recommended.


--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Joyce: You belong in a good old fashioned college with keg
parties and boys. Not here with Hellmouths and vampires.
Buffy: Not really seeing the distinction.

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default Samba

Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> Hmm, let's coordinate first about Samba .. if there is *one* package
> that can be configured in multiple ways to do the same thing, that's
> surely samba ;-)
> To be honnest, just writing a 'how to create a share on samba' wiki page
> is not enough (my opinion) .. but explaining how to configure the
> backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how
> to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem
> ACLs . etc .. is duplicating the official howto ..
> Other thoughts on that ?

Having smacked myself rather often with a printout the official HowTo
collection (and that hurts!), I don't think that you really can do a
large wiki article on samba in general without writing (at least a
chapter of a) book.

Probably a series of smaller "Tips and Tricks" would be better here,
just like the rpm page.

So have a TipsAndTricks/Samba page and then have subpages off that,
maybe?

Cheers,

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 09-01-2008, 01:10 PM
"prabhat kumar"
 
Default Samba

Hi Everyone,
I have a few windows XP professional machine and a inux server running machine with samba,
Now,
I want to make a centralized XP* user's using samba server for user authentication, as we are doing in Active Directory service.

In one word I want implement roaming profile.
*(mean suppose there is user sam, now sam can login from any windows XP machine since samba will manage user informatation and profile along with authentication )

How do I do this?


thanks


On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:

Fabian Arrotin wrote:

> Hmm, let's coordinate first about Samba .. if there is *one* package

> that can be configured in multiple ways to do the same thing, that's

> surely samba *;-)

> To be honnest, just writing a 'how to create a share on samba' wiki page

> is not enough (my opinion) .. but explaining how to configure the

> backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how

> to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem

> ACLs . etc .. is duplicating the official howto ..

> Other thoughts on that ?



Having smacked myself rather often with a printout the official HowTo

collection (and that hurts!), I don't think that you really can do a

large wiki article on samba in general without writing (at least a

chapter of a) book.



Probably a series of smaller "Tips and Tricks" would be better here,

just like the rpm page.



So have a TipsAndTricks/Samba page and then have subpages off that,

maybe?



Cheers,



Ralph


_______________________________________________

CentOS-docs mailing list

CentOS-docs@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs




--
Prabhat
http://adminlinux.blogspot.com


_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 09-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default Samba

prabhat kumar wrote:
> How do I do this?

Wrong list? centos-docs is for discussing CentOS documentation (like the
wiki or release notes), you should take that problem to the centos list.

See <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos>.

Cheers,

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
"Akemi Yagi"
 
Default Samba

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> prabhat kumar wrote:
>> How do I do this?
>
> Wrong list? centos-docs is for discussing CentOS documentation (like the
> wiki or release notes), you should take that problem to the centos list.
>
> See <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos>.

Or the samba mailing list at:

https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 PM
"John"
 
Default Samba

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-docs-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-docs-bounces@centos.org]
On Behalf Of Will F.
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:10 PM
To: Mail list for wiki articles
Subject: Re: [CentOS-docs] Samba

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It always seemed to me that HowTo pages catered to those people who didn't
want to read "millions of pages of manpages" and just wanted things to work
now. Turnkey solutions. I completely agree that an article on how to setup a
simple public share is REALLY easy and all it takes is a quick Google search
or skim of the smb.conf man page. But at the same time, so are the rest of
the articles. My vision for this HowTo is really giving the yum command to
grab the package, a basic smb.conf, the location on where to put it, and the
service name on how to start it. That way someone can get a share up in less
than 5 minutes. I believe these are the more CentOS-related bits of Samba.

Getting deeper into the advanced topics of Samba "explaining how to
configure the backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a
pdc), how to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining
Filesystem ACLs" seem better suited for samba.org since anyone who wants to
implement that really needs intimate knowledge of their environment. I don't
think they would want to read a summarized version in a CentOS wiki.

Comments?

Thanks,
-will
---------------------
I think a real good How To on Active Directory Integration would do a great
justice / That is with AD as the Primary and Secondary Domain Controller.
There's a lot more of Unix/Linux Integration in a Windows Domain that meets
the eye than what people realize. Especially in my line of work.



----- Original Message -----
From: "Fabian Arrotin" <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>
To: "Mail list for wiki articles" <centos-docs@centos.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:33:24 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [CentOS-docs] Samba

Ned Slider wrote:
> Will F. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently found a need for me to setup a Samba share for some quick
>> and dirty file copying. I already knew how to do this, but was
>> wondering if it would be worth while to add it to the tips & tricks
>> or howto section.
>>
>> Thanks! -will
>
> Hi Will,
>
> I was recently discussing with Akemi (toracat) the need for some Samba
> documentation on the Wiki as we see quite a few questions on the
> forums from new users, so I'd say go for it.
>
> Ralph may need to give you permissions or create a page for you (please).
>
> Ned

Hmm, let's coordinate first about Samba .. if there is *one* package that
can be configured in multiple ways to do the same thing, that's surely samba
;-) To be honnest, just writing a 'how to create a share on samba' wiki page
is not enough (my opinion) .. but explaining how to configure the backend
(old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a pdc), how to
integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining Filesystem ACLs .
etc .. is duplicating the official howto ..
Other thoughts on that ?
--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net> "Internet network currently down,
TCP/IP packets delivered now by UPS/Fedex ..."



_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 09-01-2008, 02:04 PM
"John"
 
Default Samba

----Original Message-----
From: centos-docs-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-docs-bounces@centos.org]
On Behalf Of Scott Robbins
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 3:25 PM
To: Mail list for wiki articles
Subject: Re: [CentOS-docs] Samba

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:51:24PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Will F. <will@digitaldev.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Fabian,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>>>
>>>

>>> Getting deeper into the advanced topics of Samba "explaining how to
configure the backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a
pdc), how to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining
Filesystem ACLs" seem better suited for samba.org since anyone who wants to
implement that really needs intimate knowledge of their environment. I don't
think they would want to read a summarized version in a CentOS wiki.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -will
>>
>> I agree with your view. I would suggest you get started with a draft
>> and we can all join in and make it most suitable for CentOS users.
>>
>> Akemi
>>
>
> Agreed - many hands make light work for a task like this.
>
> As a thought - I'm wondering if the topic needs slitting up into
> multiple sections/pages? Maybe something like:
>
> An introduction/overview to samba (users, file permissions etc) Basic
> samba setup with example (security=share) Group shares with examples
> (security=user) Printing AD integration etc ...
---------------------------
How about Security=AD err domain How To; See previous Post on this.

JohnStanley
---------------------------

That seems to me to be the best way. Let's try to put ourselves in the
shoes of someone who just tried to set up samba. Ok, he can go to the basic
guide that Will writes. (Or anyone--and yeah, those of us using older
versions of EMC Celerra at work are stuck on CentOS 4.4--I've lost track, I
think it was Will who mentioned they'd overlooked people using older
versions, but as we're talking about Samba, it's appropriate. 5.x versions
don't work, and I haven't yet tried with later versions of 4.x, though I
have to once my current project is done.)

Ok, that's the home user. Now come the sysadmins, and for them, something
like AD might be important. So, they go to the CentOS wiki, and they see,
aha, an AD article. (If anyone is interested, I have my own--though about 96
percent is from the samba wiki--at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/adsamba.html. ) And so
forth--therefore, I think this idea is excellent.

I would also make the strong recommendation that EVERY article about samba
makes reference to the troubleshooting guides CentOS provides in the
/usr/share/doc/ directory--it's also on the samba website at
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html

That can really be an invaluable resource for all levels of user.

>
> That way folks could chip in more easily on the bits they feel able to
> contribute towards and it needn't seem like a herculean task from the
> outset.
>
> Thoughts?

See above.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 ) gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu
--recv-keys EB3467D6


Colonel: Every inch of this installation is under constant, 24-hour
surveillance.
Willow: Including the secret lab?
Colonel: Everything! (pause) What secret lab?
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 PM
"John"
 
Default Samba

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-docs-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-docs-bounces@centos.org]
On Behalf Of Scott Robbins
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 3:25 PM
To: Mail list for wiki articles
Subject: Re: [CentOS-docs] Samba

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:51:24PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Will F. <will@digitaldev.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Fabian,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>>>
>>>

>>> Getting deeper into the advanced topics of Samba "explaining how to
configure the backend (old smbpasswd, newer tdbsam, or ldap when acting as a
pdc), how to integrate in existing Samba/Windows domain/AD , explaining
Filesystem ACLs" seem better suited for samba.org since anyone who wants to
implement that really needs intimate knowledge of their environment. I don't
think they would want to read a summarized version in a CentOS wiki.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -will
>>
>> I agree with your view. I would suggest you get started with a draft
>> and we can all join in and make it most suitable for CentOS users.
>>
>> Akemi
>>
>
> Agreed - many hands make light work for a task like this.
>
> As a thought - I'm wondering if the topic needs slitting up into
> multiple sections/pages? Maybe something like:
>
> An introduction/overview to samba (users, file permissions etc) Basic
> samba setup with example (security=share) Group shares with examples
> (security=user) Printing AD integration etc ...

That seems to me to be the best way. Let's try to put ourselves in the
shoes of someone who just tried to set up samba. Ok, he can go to the basic
guide that Will writes. (Or anyone--and yeah, those of us using older
versions of EMC Celerra at work are stuck on CentOS 4.4--I've lost track, I
think it was Will who mentioned they'd overlooked people using older
versions, but as we're talking about Samba, it's appropriate. 5.x versions
don't work, and I haven't yet tried with later versions of 4.x, though I
have to once my current project is done.)

Ok, that's the home user. Now come the sysadmins, and for them, something
like AD might be important. So, they go to the CentOS wiki, and they see,
aha, an AD article. (If anyone is interested, I have my own--though about 96
percent is from the samba wiki--at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/adsamba.html. ) And so
forth--therefore, I think this idea is excellent.
--------------------------------------------

Nice article at http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/adsamba.html. Care
to add to the Cent Wiki how to do Roaming User Profiles? For AD of course.
Hey you volunteered!!!! Good explanations on it also.

JohnStanley
---------------------------------------------

<snip>


_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM
"prabhat kumar"
 
Default Samba

Is there any any wiki page which will guide or help me for this.

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:

prabhat kumar wrote:

> How do I do this?



Wrong list? centos-docs is for discussing CentOS documentation (like the

wiki or release notes), you should take that problem to the centos list.



See <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos>.



Cheers,



Ralph


_______________________________________________

CentOS-docs mailing list

CentOS-docs@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs




--
Prabhat
http://adminlinux.blogspot.com


_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 09-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default Samba

John wrote:
[something]

It would be great if you could compose your mails in a way so that a
recipient can see which parts of mail came from you and which ones came
from other people.

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org