-   -   Wiki external links (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/14968-wiki-external-links.html)

Dag Wieers 12-07-2007 11:42 PM

Wiki external links

Hi,

I am personally not that fond of the little globe that precedes all the
external links in the Wiki. Often it disturbs in the reading of a
paragraph and whether a links is external or internal should not matter to
the user at all.

I even wonder how many newbies understand why the icon is shown at all.

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Karanbir Singh 12-12-2007 08:02 PM

Wiki external links

Dag Wieers wrote:

Hi,

I am personally not that fond of the little globe that precedes all the
external links in the Wiki. Often it disturbs in the reading of a
paragraph and whether a links is external or internal should not matter to
the user at all.

I've just been working on the wiki and see what you mean. I think its a
good idea to have them there, so people know its a url to an external
site, however we definitely should try and get something that is not as
stark and harsh. I like the way Trac does external urls (eg:
http://trac.edgewall.org/ ) , and their image seems to blend in quite
well into the text around it.

What are the chances we might be able to get something similar ?

Fabian Arrotin 12-12-2007 08:35 PM

Wiki external links

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 21:02 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Dag Wieers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am personally not that fond of the little globe that precedes all the
> > external links in the Wiki. Often it disturbs in the reading of a
> > paragraph and whether a links is external or internal should not matter to
> > the user at all.
>
> I've just been working on the wiki and see what you mean. I think its a
> good idea to have them there, so people know its a url to an external
> site, however we definitely should try and get something that is not as
> stark and harsh. I like the way Trac does external urls (eg:
> http://trac.edgewall.org/ ) , and their image seems to blend in quite
> well into the text around it.
>
> What are the chances we might be able to get something similar ?

copy the icon from their site, view their css, modify ours ? ;-)

From the page source :
<a class="ext-link"
href="http://www.hosted-projects.com/trac/TracDemo/Demo"><span
class="icon">demo site</span>

From their css :
a.ext-link .icon {
background: url(../extlink.gif) left center no-repeat;
padding-left: 16px;

and here is the gif : http://www.edgewall.org/chrome/common/extlink.gif

But i don't know if their css/design is protected or not ?
--
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>
Solution ?

Karanbir Singh 12-12-2007 08:50 PM

Wiki external links

Fabian Arrotin wrote:

What are the chances we might be able to get something similar ?

copy the icon from their site, view their css, modify ours ? ;-)
But i don't know if their css/design is protected or not ?

well, we now have http://projects.centos.org/ :D which runs trac as
well. But to be honest, I was hoping for a smaller hammer.

Ralph Angenendt 12-13-2007 11:39 AM

Wiki external links

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>>> What are the chances we might be able to get something similar ?
>> copy the icon from their site, view their css, modify ours ? ;-)
>> But i don't know if their css/design is protected or not ?
>
> well, we now have http://projects.centos.org/ :D which runs trac as well.
> But to be honest, I was hoping for a smaller hammer.

But it's such a nice hammer.

Let me look which icon it is on the wiki ...

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph Angenendt 12-13-2007 11:46 AM

Wiki external links

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> But it's such a nice hammer.
>
> Let me look which icon it is on the wiki ...

Okay, after having converted it to a png, it doesn't look that nice
anymore. Reverted to the old image ...

Cheers,

Ralph