-   -   nspluginwrapper (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/114563-nspluginwrapper.html)

Scott Robbins 06-27-2008 11:43 AM

nspluginwrapper

As the subject of nspluginwrapper came up recently, it might
be worth mentioning that it's not properly documented.

The README seems to be the official nspluginwrapper README, which, oddly
enough, states that it's used with the command

nspluginwrapper

However, RedHat based systems seem to all use mozilla-config-plugin.
(I'm not sure about other distributions--FreeBSD uses the more intuitive
command nspluginwrapper and gives a message about its usage upon
installation.)

The only way I discovered this was by googling and coming across the
unofficial Fedora FAQ. I don't know if it merits a wiki entry, but
perhaps either a README.RedHat or even a small FAQ entry might be
useful. It would just require a couple of lines, to the effect of

"Note that the command to run nspluginwrapper is

mozilla-config-plugins.

Running mozilla-config-plugins --help will show the available options."

It may be documented elsewhere, but it's not easy to find. At least, I
didn't find it in the wiki or FAQ. The Japanese page which does come up
in a wiki search only mentions it as a package, with no indications
about its use. (My Japanese reading is weak, but even someone who can't
read it at all will see that it's only mentioned once in a list of
packages.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: You're considered somewhat cool.
Oz: I am?
Xander: Is it because you always tend to express yourself in
short, non-commital sentences?
Oz: Could be.

Ned Slider 06-27-2008 12:01 PM

nspluginwrapper

Scott Robbins wrote:

[...]

I don't know if it's of any help as I've not used nspluginwrapper
before, but I stumbled across this guide by Tammy Fox recently:

http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/64-bit/flash64.shtml

Thought I'd mention it in case it might be useful for anyone putting
together any documentation on the subject.

Scott Robbins 06-27-2008 12:19 PM

nspluginwrapper

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 01:01:33PM +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> >As the subject of nspluginwrapper came up recently, it might
> >be worth mentioning that it's not properly documented.

> I don't know if it's of any help as I've not used nspluginwrapper before, but I
> stumbled across this guide by Tammy Fox recently:
>
> http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/64-bit/flash64.shtml

In CentOS, at least for me, it didn't work that way. One did have to
run a command (the aforementioned mozilla-config-plugins) for it to have
an effect. The simplest method that I found, that worked for me was

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#64bit-browser

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Anya: Listen, I have this little project I'm working on, and I
heard you were the person to ask if...
Willow: Yeah, that's me. Reliable dog-geyser-person.

JD 04-22-2011 04:16 AM

nspluginwrapper

Is nspluginwrapper needed for i686 platforms?

g 04-22-2011 08:55 AM

nspluginwrapper

On 04/22/2011 04:16 AM, JD wrote:
> Is nspluginwrapper needed for i686 platforms?

have a look at;

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux-amd64.html

for a better understanding of what nspluginwrapper is about.

hth.

later.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

JD 04-22-2011 03:13 PM

nspluginwrapper

On 04/22/11 01:55, g wrote:
> On 04/22/2011 04:16 AM, JD wrote:
>> Is nspluginwrapper needed for i686 platforms?
> have a look at;
>
> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux-amd64.html
>
> for a better understanding of what nspluginwrapper is about.
>
> hth.
>
> later.
Right. The blub says:

nspluginwrapper allows you to use Netscape compatible (NPAPI) plugins
on platforms that they were not built on - in this instance, using 32bit
browser plugins with x86_64 browsers. This is beta software, and
licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

g 04-22-2011 04:05 PM

nspluginwrapper

On 04/22/2011 03:13 PM, JD wrote:
<>

> As I said, my OS is 32 bit, and all my rpms are 32 bit.
> I have no 64 bit anything.

actually, you stated "Is nspluginwrapper needed for i686 platforms?",
which infers 32 bit. [just kidding with you. no offense intended]

> I was just wondering why I have nspluginwrapper installed,
> as I do not recall deliberately installing it.

if you check back on mozdev page, you will see what all nspluginwrapper
is used with/for.

therefore, it may well be that if you have any of them installed,
nspluginwrapper would be a dependency and yum/rpm does not check to see
if you are running 32 or 64 bit.

further, if you tried an uninstall of the packages that use nspluginwrapper,
you would see nspluginwrapper listed in what is to be removed.

this is my reasoning. not a cold hard fact from reading or trying.

also, i am running 32 bit and nspluginwrapper is installed.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**

JD 04-22-2011 04:33 PM

nspluginwrapper

On 04/22/11 09:05, g wrote:
> On 04/22/2011 03:13 PM, JD wrote:
> <>
>
>> As I said, my OS is 32 bit, and all my rpms are 32 bit.
>> I have no 64 bit anything.
> actually, you stated "Is nspluginwrapper needed for i686 platforms?",
> which infers 32 bit. [just kidding with you. no offense intended]
>
>> I was just wondering why I have nspluginwrapper installed,
>> as I do not recall deliberately installing it.
> if you check back on mozdev page, you will see what all nspluginwrapper
> is used with/for.
>
> therefore, it may well be that if you have any of them installed,
> nspluginwrapper would be a dependency and yum/rpm does not check to see
> if you are running 32 or 64 bit.
>
> further, if you tried an uninstall of the packages that use nspluginwrapper,
> you would see nspluginwrapper listed in what is to be removed.
>
> this is my reasoning. not a cold hard fact from reading or trying.
>
> also, i am running 32 bit and nspluginwrapper is installed.
>

> hth.

I uninstalled it and there was no complaint of any dependency.
It must have been a remnant from F13 when performed the
upgrade to F14, and the next yum update simply installed
updated the F13 version to F14.

Thanx.

JD

James Wilkinson 04-22-2011 06:17 PM

nspluginwrapper

JD wrote:
> I uninstalled it and there was no complaint of any dependency.
> It must have been a remnant from F13 when performed the
> upgrade to F14, and the next yum update simply installed
> updated the F13 version to F14.

Without nspluginwrapper, Firefox plugins run in the same process as
Firefox itself. This means that if a Firefox plugin crashes, it takes
down the entire browser.

With nspluginwrapper, Firefox plugins run in separate processes. This
should mean that a plugin crash only takes down the plugin, which can be
restarted (for example, by reloading the page).

Presumably, this also means that the plugins can run on separate
hardware threads╣: whether this makes any difference to browser
responsiveness is something I have neither investigated nor seen anyone
else investigate.

Hope this helps,

James.

╣ by which I include separate cores

--
E-mail: james@ | I learnt the rules of rugby. There is only one rule.
aprilcottage.co.uk | "Skip it by any means necessary".

g 04-22-2011 07:02 PM

nspluginwrapper

On 04/22/2011 06:17 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
<>

> Without nspluginwrapper, Firefox plugins run in the same process as
<>

> With nspluginwrapper, Firefox plugins run in separate processes.
<>

ahhh. yes. you refreshed the brain cells. [should stick this time] this
was discussed in a 'support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org' thread last year.

> Presumably, this also means that the plugins can run on separate
> hardware threads╣: whether this makes any difference to browser
> responsiveness is something I have neither investigated nor seen anyone
> else investigate.

one would think so. this ability was not discussed.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.