Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Ned Slider

Default CentOS Forums again

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:
A thread has started at the forums for forum users to let folks know
what they would like to see in terms of features/usability:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14921&forum=45

Is someone going to consolidate this into the wiki page ?

No Wiki page yet (I haven't forgotten), but here is a quick summary of
points raised/features requested so far by forum members:

Major
* Persistent logins
* Remember read/unread posts across multiple PCs/logins (per user, not
per machine)
* The remember me, keep cookie for 1 year option looks broken (relates
to the above)

* View first unread post within thread feature
* Ability for users to change registered email address.

Minor
* Thank User button/feature
* Better management of subscribed threads
* Quick links feature

Most of the major issues revolve around having to constantly re-login
every 24 hours and the lack of a view first unread post within thread
feature. One would hope that both of these issues would be addressed as
standard in most major forum software packages. Basically our forum
users just want the features they have come to expect as standard on
other forums, but appear to be lacking in our current software.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>> Ned Slider wrote:
>>>
>>> A thread has started at the forums for forum users to let folks know what
>>> they would like to see in terms of features/usability:
>>>
>>> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14921&forum=45
>>
>> Is someone going to consolidate this into the wiki page ?
>>

> No Wiki page yet (I haven't forgotten), but here is a quick summary of
> points raised/features requested so far by forum members:
>
> Major
> * Persistent logins
> * Remember read/unread posts across multiple PCs/logins (per user, not per
> machine)
> * The remember me, keep cookie for 1 year option looks broken (relates to
> the above)
> * View first unread post within thread feature
> * Ability for users to change registered email address.
>
> Minor
> * Thank User button/feature
> * Better management of subscribed threads
> * Quick links feature
>

> Most of the major issues revolve around having to constantly re-login every
> 24 hours and the lack of a view first unread post within thread feature. One
> would hope that both of these issues would be addressed as standard in most
> major forum software packages. Basically our forum users just want the
> features they have come to expect as standard on other forums, but appear to
> be lacking in our current software.

I would like to resurrect this topic after one month of no movement.
For those who recently joined the maillist, the original post was on
May 31:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-May/004685.html

which continued on:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-June/004687.html

and then on:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2008-June/004790.html

With a growing number of CentOS forum users we need a better piece of
software. Let's push forward this movement, shall we?

And this relates to the establishment of the planned internationalized
centos.org sites for ja, es, de, ru, etc etc. The idea is to use the
same software for all these sites to make management easier. So far,
fr.centos.org is the only one that is already in place (using punBB).
So, developers, can we resume activities on setting up the next target
ja.centos.org which was started sometime ago? If this should be a
separate subject, I will be happy to start a new thread.

Akemi

Akemi

Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 AM
"Marcus Moeller"

Dear Akemi.

> With a growing number of CentOS forum users we need a better piece of
> software. Let's push forward this movement, shall we?

Maybe.

> And this relates to the establishment of the planned internationalized
> centos.org sites for ja, es, de, ru, etc etc. The idea is to use the
> same software for all these sites to make management easier. So far,
> fr.centos.org is the only one that is already in place (using punBB).

I would welcome a wiki based site (as most work is already done in the
wiki) with i18n support, instead. A lot of guys and girls are
currently working on translating content and the already existing
structure ($HOST/$LANG/$SITE) and a simple language switcher could be
added easily.

In my POV there are only a few aspects that cannot be handled with a
wiki system:

- (maybe) planet.centos.org
- dynamic mirror list
- the forums

An option could be to add language specific forums or at least forum
sections for commonly used languages. Localiced forums could also be
handled by user groups in foreign countries (like we already do on
gcug.de).

It is important to keep the content synched for all languages which
would be nearly impossible on splitted sites, you suggested. I was
also a bit shocked that the fr.centos.org sited completly breaks with
the rest of the CentOS.org style.

Best Regards
Marcus

Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> With a growing number of CentOS forum users we need a better piece of
>> software. Let's push forward this movement, shall we?
>
> With the number of things going on at the moment, can we defer this
> conversation to perhaps the first week of Sept ?
>
> - KB

Certainly.

/me is marking the calendar. :-D

Akemi