Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Les Mikesell

Default CentOS Forums again

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

But the differences are in how/when they access, not so much the content of
the questions or answers. These guys seem to do a pretty good job at
running forums with gateways to existing mailling lists with threads mostly
staying together: http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/. I'm on the
backuppc mail list and don't see any difference if someone posts on the
forum instead.

Hmmmm.

How high is the traffic in the mailing lists? How high is the traffic on
the forums?

I don't have any idea since it isn't obvious where anything originates.
I'd guess most of the posting happens on the lists (at least on
backuppc where it is mostly people who were on the list before the forum
gateway existed) but there might be a lot of people who read/search the
forums and some new user questions might come from there.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Karanbir Singh

Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> As far as I can see requirements for the forum, it looks ok. Only the
> email gateway to a mailinglist is not really there, but there is a
> nice forum to RSS gateway which the none-forum lovers may a usable
> alternative.

iirc, its one of the main issues behind wanting a better forum system.
Otherwise, are there any major benefits of moving to another s/w ? At
the moment, and a very real option for the future, is to just stay with
an integrated CMS / Forum / News etc system.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> After doing lots of thinking on that topic, I don't even think that
> gating forum and mailing lists is such a good idea anymore, as you
> really are catering to two completely different mindsets of people.

But it does not need to be like that, a unified system would / should go
a long way in bridging the gap that exists at the moment.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Ned Slider

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Tim Verhoeven wrote:

As far as I can see requirements for the forum, it looks ok. Only the
email gateway to a mailinglist is not really there, but there is a
nice forum to RSS gateway which the none-forum lovers may a usable
alternative.

iirc, its one of the main issues behind wanting a better forum system.
Otherwise, are there any major benefits of moving to another s/w ? At
the moment, and a very real option for the future, is to just stay with
an integrated CMS / Forum / News etc system.

One of the big benefits I see on other forum software is the ability to
jump to the first unread post in a thread, something I haven't noticed a
way of doing on the current system. It's extremely time consuming to
have to reread a whole thread to find out where you last read to and
find the new posts in a thread since your last visit.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ned Slider wrote:
> One of the big benefits I see on other forum software is the ability to
> jump to the first unread post in a thread, something I haven't noticed a
> way of doing on the current system. It's extremely time consuming to
> have to reread a whole thread to find out where you last read to and
> find the new posts in a thread since your last visit.

a mail gateway will solve that problem

Old 06-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Ned Slider

Tim Verhoeven wrote:

My feeling is that the most productive way to get forward with the
website/forum update is to split the forum from the website. In my
experience the forum present in CMS tools aren't made for the amount
of traffic we are having. So something dedicated sound like a better
option. So I have been looking around for open source forum software
that link to ldap without to much effort. I've looked at 3 projects
(Phorum, phpBB and SMF). They all 3 are good looking, well featured
and maintained. Though, only phpBB has a decent built-in LDAP
integration (FreeIPA is built on top of LDAP).

<snip>

So what do people think, did I miss stuff, other suggestions, ...

A thread has started at the forums for forum users to let folks know
what they would like to see in terms of features/usability:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14921&forum=45

Obviously this is approaching the issue from an end user PoV, but it may
be helpful in understanding what the community wants when choosing what
software to use. Personally I would think any of the major dedicated
forum software would be an improvement in terms of features/usability
compared to the current system and provide many of the features that
users are looking for as standard.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
"Daniel de Kok"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Tim Verhoeven
<tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer, I've had a look and the fr.centos.org site
> looks nice. I've also checked the fluxBB project itself and it look
> like the 1.3 version will have hooks that allow you to write some sort
> of plugin that allows you to link it with LDAP. So it is a option,
> although phpBB has that feature built-in which makes getting support
> for it somewhat easier :-)

I'd like to add a +1 for punBB (or now apparently fluxBB). One of the
largest Dutch Linux forums (currently ~300,000 posts, 6,000 users) I
used to be a moderator for, previously used phpBB. There were a lot of
problems with vulnerabilities, posts that were disappearing, and
performance. I suggested to migrate that forum to punBB (since I had
good experiences with it), and since that migration all major problems
disappeared. Pun was a lot simpler, and offered less features, but
certainly worked better and faster.

Take care,
Daniel

Old 06-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ned Slider wrote:
A thread has started at the forums for forum users to let folks know
what they would like to see in terms of features/usability:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14921&forum=45

Is someone going to consolidate this into the wiki page ?

Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Ned Slider

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:
A thread has started at the forums for forum users to let folks know
what they would like to see in terms of features/usability:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14921&forum=45

Is someone going to consolidate this into the wiki page ?

Yes, I could certainly do that.

Unless there is a great urgency, lets leave it for a week or two to
collect responses (plus I'm away from the 3rd-7th) and I'll get on it
when I get back. Unless anyone wants to jump in and do it in the meantime...

Old 06-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Les Mikesell

Ned Slider wrote:

[...]

Why not hook up whatever these guys are using as an email<->forum
gateway so you don't have to log in all the time to reply:
There was really no impact at all on the backuppc list when it was
added other than perhaps a few more beginner-type questions. I don't
know specifically what the gateway software is, but it is independent
from the mail list and appears as a single subscriber.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com