Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
"Jordan Evans"

Default Volunteering for CentOS

Hello

** I recently saw a blog that gave me the idea to volunteer for CentOS http://misterd77.blogspot.com/2008/05/centos-52.html
* and I was wondering if the CentOS community had any work that I could help with. I could help with testing and recompiling

* the packages, but I'm open to any suggestions and if you have any work you need help with thats within my abilities, I
--
Ubuntu, an African word meaning Slackware is too hard for me

Old 05-26-2008, 10:44 PM
"Jordan Evans"

Hello

** I recently saw a blog that gave me the idea to volunteer for CentOS http://misterd77.blogspot.com/2008/05/centos-52.html

* and I was wondering if the CentOS community had any work that I could help with. I could help with testing and recompiling

* the packages, but I'm open to any suggestions and if you have any work you need help with thats within my abilities, I
--
Ubuntu, an African word meaning Slackware is too hard for me

Sorry, I pressed send too soon, I meant to say I will be glad to try my best to help you

Best wishes,

Old 05-27-2008, 08:30 AM
KarthiKeyan

Hello,
******* I am glad to join with you CentOS devs and testers. I am ready to spend my hours for centos testing. I am sure i may help you a little. I will be glad to hlep you like Jordan Evans.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Jordan Evans <jordanevans19@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I recently saw a blog that gave me the idea to volunteer for CentOS
>> http://misterd77.blogspot.com/2008/05/centos-52.html
>> and I was wondering if the CentOS community had any work that I could
>> help with. I could help with testing and recompiling
>> the packages, but I'm open to any suggestions and if you have any work
>> you need help with thats within my abilities, I
>> --
>> Ubuntu, an African word meaning Slackware is too hard for me
>
> Sorry, I pressed send too soon, I meant to say I will be glad to try my best
> to help you

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for volunteering. As a first step I would say that you keep
following this list so you get a idea what is happing inside the
CentOS project. Secondly have a look at the CentOS wiki
(http://wiki.centos.org). It contains a list of project (or possible
projects) and a ToDo section.

I don't know your interests but have a look around and let us know
what you think.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 PM
"Jordan Evans"

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:32 AM, Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Jordan Evans <jordanevans19@gmail.com> wrote:

>> * *I recently saw a blog that gave me the idea to volunteer for CentOS

>> http://misterd77.blogspot.com/2008/05/centos-52.html

>> * and I was wondering if the CentOS community had any work that I could

>> help with. I could help with testing and recompiling

>> * the packages, but I'm open to any suggestions and if you have any work

>> you need help with thats within my abilities, I

>> --

>> Ubuntu, an African word meaning Slackware is too hard for me

> Sorry, I pressed send too soon, I meant to say I will be glad to try my best

> to help you

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for volunteering. As a first step I would say that you keep

following this list so you get a idea what is happing inside the

CentOS project. Secondly have a look at the CentOS wiki

(http://wiki.centos.org). It contains a list of project (or possible

projects) and a ToDo section.

I don't know your interests but have a look around and let us know

what you think.

Regards,

Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Hi Tim,

*** I took a look at the various projects and the ToDo list, the project that interested me Pandora, although I would have to brush up on my python . It seems there is not much information on it though. Another project that interested me was Cranberry but there is also very little information on it.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 AM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Jordan Evans <jordanevans19@gmail.com> wrote:

> I took a look at the various projects and the ToDo list, the project
> that interested me Pandora, although I would have to brush up on my python
> . It seems there is not much information on it though. Another project
> that interested me was Cranberry but there is also very little information
> on it.

Very nice that you find some projects you like. Normally the people
responsable for those projects will respond to your mail. If not mail
again to centos-devel and say explicitly that you would like to help
on a certain project. Also, some people are busy so it may take a
couple of days for them to respond.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 05-28-2008, 02:11 PM
"Daniel de Kok"

Hi Jordan,

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Jordan Evans <jordanevans19@gmail.com> wrote:
> I took a look at the various projects and the ToDo list, the project
> that interested me Pandora, although I would have to brush up on my python
> .

I could use help there, since I am pretty much stuck in the
thesis/work realm . To get started, you'd need some experience with
Python and the Django web framework (which is fairly easy to learn).
There are still many things that need to be done. From the top of my
head, the most urgent things:

- Get up a demo of the current development snapshot.
- Store all Changelog entries for one changelog together in one
record. Now there is a separate table with all the individual entries,
which is slow .
- Add RSS feeds.
- Use a different non-python metadata parser. Maybe the yum C metadata
parser can be used or reused (IIRC it can't be used as-is, because
we're interested in all package versions for Pandora, not just the
latest).

The first three should all be relatively easy to do. If you'd like to
work on one or more of these items, let us know. diffs against the
tree are welcome on this list (so that they don't get lost, and can
get peer-review).

Take care,
Daniel

Old 05-28-2008, 05:17 PM
"Jordan Evans"

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Daniel de Kok <me@danieldk.org> wrote:

Hi Jordan,

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Jordan Evans <jordanevans19@gmail.com> wrote:
> * * I took a look at the various projects and the ToDo list, the project

> that interested me Pandora, although I would have to brush up on my python
> .

I could use help there, since I am pretty much stuck in the
thesis/work realm . To get started, you'd need some experience with

Python and the Django web framework (which is fairly easy to learn).
There are still many things that need to be done. From the top of my
head, the most urgent things:

- Get up a demo of the current development snapshot.

- Store all Changelog entries for one changelog together in one
record. Now there is a separate table with all the individual entries,
which is slow .
- Add RSS feeds.
- Use a different non-python metadata parser. Maybe the yum C metadata

parser can be used or reused (IIRC it can't be used as-is, because
we're interested in all package versions for Pandora, not just the
latest).

The first three should all be relatively easy to do. If you'd like to

work on one or more of these items, let us know. diffs against the
tree are welcome on this list (so that they don't get lost, and can
get peer-review).

Take care,
Daniel

Hi
After I brush up on my python and learn the*Django web framework, I would like to try to get a demo*working and get the changelog thing sorted out, but that won't be for a couple*days.
*
****** Cheers