Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 PM
John Summerfield

Default CentOS 5.2 todo list

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

As last time, I don't really see any content in the slides which needs
to be changed, as we've held those rather generic.
I need the final images on the 28th if they are going to make it into
anaconda this time.

I'm just going through an install and really do not see any need for
changes. And 28th is a tad, ermm, short, especially with the rate Gideon
can be gotten a hold of ...

Add {0,1,2}.centos.pool.ntp.org to the network time protocol
configuration and to the standard ntp.conf file - this still reads
{0,1,2}.rhel.pool.ntp.org at the moment, we have our own pool name since
a few weeks ago.

ok, I can do that now.

As far as I can see the only change needed is in ntp.conf from the ntp
package.

If I understand it correctly, then
/usr/share/system-config-date/dateBackend.py reads /etc/ntp.conf on
startup and processes "server" lines in there to offer you a choice of
ntp servers.

If we really want to make sure, we could also modify
/usr/share/system-config-date/ntp.template - but that would be doing
more than upstream does, as that only contains

server 0.pool.ntp.org

My dhcp server offers an ntp server; _that_ is the one I want used. It
seems weird to me that it isn't.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Ralph Angenendt

John Summerfield wrote:
> My dhcp server offers an ntp server; _that_ is the one I want used. It
> seems weird to me that it isn't.

Nobody forbids you to use that. We are just changing the *default*
stuff for the time configuration utility and the *default* config for
ntpd.

Ralph

Old 05-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Les Mikesell

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:
My dhcp server offers an ntp server; _that_ is the one I want used. It
seems weird to me that it isn't.

Nobody forbids you to use that. We are just changing the *default*
stuff for the time configuration utility and the *default* config for
ntpd.

I think what he means is that if the dhcp server supplies the option for
ntp servers, they should be installed and used automatically more or
less like dns servers are - unless you have set an option to override
with a different setting.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> I think what he means is that if the dhcp server supplies the option for
> ntp servers, they should be installed and used automatically more or
> less like dns servers are - unless you have set an option to override
> with a different setting.

I wasn't talking about any functionality changes here.

Ralph

Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM
John Summerfield

Les Mikesell wrote:

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:
My dhcp server offers an ntp server; _that_ is the one I want used.
It seems weird to me that it isn't.

Nobody forbids you to use that. We are just changing the *default*
stuff for the time configuration utility and the *default* config for
ntpd.

I think what he means is that if the dhcp server supplies the option for
ntp servers, they should be installed and used automatically more or
less like dns servers are - unless you have set an option to override
with a different setting.

Exactly. At present, the offering is either ignored ... or I've made a
goose of myself again.

I don't feel like doing a manual install right now to see what goes on,
but I can't find a RH-ish system that isn't using the value offered by
my dhcp server. Even on C4.

I do think one shouldn't be asked about timezone info by Anaconda if the
DHCP server provides it, and I'm sure it still does, but that isn't what
I had in mind.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:00 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:33 AM, John Summerfield
<debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> Ralph Angenendt wrote:

>>> Nobody forbids you to use that. We are just changing the *default*
>>> stuff for the time configuration utility and the *default* config for
>>> ntpd.
>>>

>> I think what he means is that if the dhcp server supplies the option for
>> ntp servers, they should be installed and used automatically more or less
>> like dns servers are - unless you have set an option to override with a
>> different setting.
>>
> Exactly. At present, the offering is either ignored ... or I've made a goose
> of myself again.

It shouldn't be ignored out of the box.. my system got an updated ntp
but I am not sure if I changed it later. I will have to do a reinstall
to make sure... but it looks like its not ignoring.

> I don't feel like doing a manual install right now to see what goes on, but
> I can't find a RH-ish system that isn't using the value offered by my dhcp
> server. Even on C4.

Thats weird. I need to check my boxes again.

> I do think one shouldn't be asked about timezone info by Anaconda if the
> DHCP server provides it, and I'm sure it still does, but that isn't what I
> had in mind.

Thats a bit more of a change.. I think it would need to be an upstream
change first.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Tim Verhoeven
<tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:

> - Provide a CentOS png to be displayed on the top of the cube (bug #2633)
>
> When using compiz make sure there is a CentOS logo on the 3D cube when
> changing desktops.

Just uploaded a centos logo image file that could be used to replace
the fedora file (see http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2633 ) . The
image is:

http://bugs.centos.org/file_download.php?file_id=487&type=bug

Akemi