Old 11-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Ray Van Dolson

Default HTTP installation method and RELEASE-NOTES file

Hi all; ran this question by the anaconda list, and perhaps this is a
CentOS specific issue. In any case, maybe someone here can clarify...

I notice if I boot CentOS 5 with the askmethod param and choose HTTP
and point to my CentOS directory which is just a copy of all the files
from the CD's, it errors out, and I am forced to revert to the CD
method.

The error I see on the console and in my webserver logs indicate that
anaconda is trying to look for the following files:

RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.UTF-8.html
RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.UTF-8
RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.html
RELEASE-NOTES-en_US

Where the only files on the CD's are RELEASE-NOTES-en.html and
RELEASE-NOTES-en.

The anaconda folks seem to think that CentOS should be using the full
en_US variant:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2007-November/msg00130.html

I don't see a mantis bug on this issue -- has anyone else run into it?
Am I just doing something dumb here?

Ray

Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Scott Silva

on 11/29/2007 8:54 AM Ray Van Dolson spake the following:

[...]

I just did an HTTP install last week with CentOS 5 x86_64 from a loop-mounted
dvd and it worked fine. Could your copying have changed something?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 11-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 09:23:57AM -0800, Scott Silva wrote:
> I just did an HTTP install last week with CentOS 5 x86_64 from a
> loop-mounted dvd and it worked fine. Could your copying have changed
> something?

Actually, looks like I drew my conclusions too soon. Although the
system checks for those RELEASE-NOTES filenames that don't exist, and
then wants to validate the install media (which led me to think that a
CD-ROM install was about to occur despite choosing HTTP via askmethod),
the install does actually still pull from the HTTP source I selected.

So, disregard. Just was a little confusing.

Thanks!
Ray

Old 11-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ray Van Dolson wrote:

I notice if I boot CentOS 5 with the askmethod param and choose HTTP
and point to my CentOS directory which is just a copy of all the files
from the CD's, it errors out, and I am forced to revert to the CD
method.

That is an issue with anaconda, if it finds local install media, it
overrides the askmethod options and just goes ahead with local media,
Try this - boot your machine with the local media and when you get to
the point where it asks for language, ( first dialog ), just remove the
local media, see if it works from remote http or not then.

The error I see on the console and in my webserver logs indicate that
anaconda is trying to look for the following files:

RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.UTF-8.html
RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.UTF-8
RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.html
RELEASE-NOTES-en_US

Where the only files on the CD's are RELEASE-NOTES-en.html and
RELEASE-NOTES-en.

The anaconda folks seem to think that CentOS should be using the full
en_US variant:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2007-November/msg00130.html

That is something worth remembering, so please go go ahead and open an
issue for it on the bugs.centos.org site and assign it to me. I shall
make sure its then looked at for 5.2 release. However, this is not an
issue which will cause the installer to not use an install method.