Old 10-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Default CentOS Directory Server (CDS) and more is available for testing

Angel Marin wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> One thing which is really ugly is that the package does not create a
>> user and group for the directory server and uses "nobody" as a default.
>
> IIRC setup-ds.pl already asks for user/group you want to use for the new
> instance and creates them/sets up the appropriate permissions. So what
> would this rpm-created user buy us?

Yes, it asks - no, it doesn't create:

System User [nobody]: dirserv
The user 'dirserv' is invalid.

So: Opinions on hacking that into the RPMs/setup script?

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Yes, it asks - no, it doesn't create:

System User [nobody]: dirserv
The user 'dirserv' is invalid.

So: Opinions on hacking that into the RPMs/setup script?

Is there a bugreport about this somewhere ?

If that should get into the rpms/setup script is Tim's call....

- KB

Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Yes, it asks - no, it doesn't create:
>>
>> System User [nobody]: dirserv
>> The user 'dirserv' is invalid.
>>
>> So: Opinions on hacking that into the RPMs/setup script?
>
> Is there a bugreport about this somewhere ?

Not that I know - And I wonder if that should happen upstream or here.

> If that should get into the rpms/setup script is Tim's call....

Yeah. I already identified where it has to be changed, so: "TIM! HUHU!"

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 10-17-2008, 01:07 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it asks - no, it doesn't create:
>>
>> System User [nobody]: dirserv
>> The user 'dirserv' is invalid.
>>
>> So: Opinions on hacking that into the RPMs/setup script?
>
> Is there a bugreport about this somewhere ?
>
> If that should get into the rpms/setup script is Tim's call....

IMHO, I would create a bugreport in upstreams bugzilla (and in ours
for reference), document it on the wiki page and wait for upstream to
fix it. I prefer to keep the packages as closely to upstreams as
possible.

In this case is a pretty simple thing that can be done manually, not a
real bug in the code, more a missing feature.

Anyway, if people shout hard enough I just might add it.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Jan-Frode Myklebust

On 2008-10-17, Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So: Opinions on hacking that into the RPMs/setup script?

I would expect it to follow upstream.

Actually the upstream documentation strongly recommends one use
"nobody". Sounds like a bad idea to me (and I use "dirsrv"),
but that's the *strong* recommendation in the installation guide:

"1.2.2. Directory Server User and Group

The setup process sets a user ID (UID) and group ID (GID) as
which the servers will run. The default UID is a non-privileged
(non-root) user, nobody on Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Solaris
and daemon on HP-UX. Red Hat strongly recommends using this
default value."

-jf

Old 12-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Jean-Marc LIGER

Jean-Marc LIGER a écrit :
> Tim Verhoeven a écrit :
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I've build the latest version of CDS yesterday. These are now
>> available in the testing repo. Are there people capable of testing
>> these new packages ? I currently don't have the time/resources for
>> this. So that would be really helpfull.
>>

> We currently use FDS. We'll try to install/replace one replicant with
> CDS. The final roadmap is to use CDS like master.

One instance of CDS is now used as a replicant of the FDS master
(Solaris 9).

The next step is to interrogate this replicant instead of the current
FDS replicant (CentOS 4).

Old 12-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Hugo van der Kooij

Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Jan-Frode Myklebust

On 2009-02-27, Jean-Marc LIGER <jean-marc.liger@siris.sorbonne.fr> wrote:

> CentOS DS is also stable for us in production environment. So It'd be
> fine to add it in the next CentOS 5.3 release.

Just want to add another praise for centos-ds-8.0.0-1.4.el5.centos.4.
Have been running 3 multi-master replicating clusters on it for months
(with around 1 million entries). Works perfectly.

Would love to see the non-beta stamp on it :-)

-jf