Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/)
-   -   Forums (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/691777-forums.html)

Karanbir Singh 08-08-2012 09:50 AM

Forums
 
Hi Guys,

Realistically, what are the best-of forum software out there at the
moment ? And what are the top 10 items on the forums moderators wish
list at this time ?

We can either move the forums to forums.centos.org or export them behind
a proxy at www.centos.org/forums ( I prefer the second option ).

Finally, lots of people seem to think that moving towards a
serverfault.org type of interface is more 'these days' than a
conventional forum setup. Thoughts ?

--
Karanbir Singh
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax
GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel

"Yury V. Zaytsev" 08-08-2012 09:59 AM

Forums
 
On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 10:50 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
> Realistically, what are the best-of forum software out there at the
> moment ? And what are the top 10 items on the forums moderators wish
> list at this time ?

If you are looking for a more support-style software (slim,
minimalistic, easy to use), then it's Phorum + mailing list / NNTP gate
integration that can be easily set up.

If it's more about community-type thing with stupid avatars, captions,
rankings, etc. then you have a choice between IPB / vBulletin (paid for)
or Simple Machines (free).

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev


_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel

Jeff Sheltren 08-08-2012 02:28 PM

Forums
 
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Realistically, what are the best-of forum software out there at the
> moment ? And what are the top 10 items on the forums moderators wish
> list at this time ?
>
> We can either move the forums to forums.centos.org or export them behind
> a proxy at www.centos.org/forums ( I prefer the second option ).
>
> Finally, lots of people seem to think that moving towards a
> serverfault.org type of interface is more 'these days' than a
> conventional forum setup. Thoughts ?
>

I've always been a big fan of phpBB. It's open source and has a
decent plugin system for 3rd party mods as needed.

Your last link seems broken (takes me to a "Welcome to nginx!" page),
so I'm not sure what that is exactly.

-Jeff
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel

Khusro Jaleel 08-08-2012 02:40 PM

Forums
 
On 08/08/12 10:59, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 10:50 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>> Realistically, what are the best-of forum software out there at the
>> moment ? And what are the top 10 items on the forums moderators wish
>> list at this time ?
>
> If you are looking for a more support-style software (slim,
> minimalistic, easy to use), then it's Phorum + mailing list / NNTP gate
> integration that can be easily set up.
>
> If it's more about community-type thing with stupid avatars, captions,
> rankings, etc. then you have a choice between IPB / vBulletin (paid for)
> or Simple Machines (free).
>

Hmm, for whatever reason serverfault type forums have always tended to
attract a lot of people and usually I've found good content/answers
there. I have used stackoverflow, serverfault and possibly 2 others all
with good results, so that may be an option. Not sure how those are
setup in terms of software and licensing though.

I have maintained vBulletin 3.x at previous $work, and it's not always
easy and straightforward to upgrade to a new version, especially when
it's a major upgrade like from 3 -> 4. It was so much hassle to organise
a group of people to test the migration that we never got around to it.
Wordpress is not a forum but when it comes to upgrades, they make it
dead simple. Their notification of new updates process is broken however
as I only find out on twitter when there is a major security issue with it.


_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel

Karanbir Singh 08-08-2012 03:21 PM

Forums
 
On 08/08/2012 03:28 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> Your last link seems broken (takes me to a "Welcome to nginx!" page),
> so I'm not sure what that is exactly.

http://serverfault.com/ is what it should have been. apologies..

--
Karanbir Singh
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax
GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel

Jeff Sheltren 08-08-2012 03:30 PM

Forums
 
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/08/2012 03:28 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>> Your last link seems broken (takes me to a "Welcome to nginx!" page),
>> so I'm not sure what that is exactly.
>
> http://serverfault.com/ is what it should have been. apologies..
>

Ah, thanks!

I think something like that (Q&A type software) can be nice, but it is
not great for a back-and-forth discussion about an issue; e.g. when
people ask a more general question, or it's not a simple answer.

-Jeff
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel

Akemi Yagi 08-08-2012 03:50 PM

Forums
 
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Realistically, what are the best-of forum software out there at the
> moment ? And what are the top 10 items on the forums moderators wish
> list at this time ?

What are described in :

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums

are largely true today.

"The specific requirements raised by the present www.centos.org forum users"

- Multiple persistent logins: so people can login from multiple
machines with the same username/password at the same time
- Remember read/unread posts across multiple PCs/logins per user, not
per machine
- View first unread post within thread feature
- Ability for users to change/edit their registered email address
- Better management of subscribed threads

Personally, the major request is, as I asked multiple times in the
past, that the existing links get retained in the new software. Forum
posts are quoted externally as well as within the forums. If they stop
working after the migration, it would be a great loss of information.
Search engines like Google will eventually re-index the contents but
the internal links/URLs will break permanently.

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel

Karanbir Singh 08-08-2012 04:01 PM

Forums
 
On 08/08/2012 04:50 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Realistically, what are the best-of forum software out there at the
>> moment ? And what are the top 10 items on the forums moderators wish
>> list at this time ?
>
> What are described in :
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
>
> are largely true today.
>
> "The specific requirements raised by the present www.centos.org forum users"
>
> - Multiple persistent logins: so people can login from multiple
> machines with the same username/password at the same time
> - Remember read/unread posts across multiple PCs/logins per user, not
> per machine
> - View first unread post within thread feature
> - Ability for users to change/edit their registered email address
> - Better management of subscribed threads

is there any software out there that meets all this specs ?

What are the top 5, most wellrun forums' around the world ( according to
the forum admins ) ?

>
> Personally, the major request is, as I asked multiple times in the
> past, that the existing links get retained in the new software. Forum
> posts are quoted externally as well as within the forums. If they stop
> working after the migration, it would be a great loss of information.
> Search engines like Google will eventually re-index the contents but
> the internal links/URLs will break permanently.




--
Karanbir Singh
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax
GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel

Karanbir Singh 08-08-2012 04:02 PM

Forums
 
On 08/08/2012 04:30 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> I think something like that (Q&A type software) can be nice, but it is
> not great for a back-and-forth discussion about an issue; e.g. when
> people ask a more general question, or it's not a simple answer.

So, are you saying that we could/should have a Q&A type subsite as well
? or should we not bother ?

--
Karanbir Singh
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax
GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel

Jeff Sheltren 08-08-2012 04:10 PM

Forums
 
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/08/2012 04:30 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>> I think something like that (Q&A type software) can be nice, but it is
>> not great for a back-and-forth discussion about an issue; e.g. when
>> people ask a more general question, or it's not a simple answer.
>
> So, are you saying that we could/should have a Q&A type subsite as well
> ? or should we not bother ?

I think having a Q&A type site should be in addition to the forum, not
a replacement. That's assuming that people think the Q&A
functionality is worth it. It may be that some forum software could
be configured to have a specific Q&A sub-forum (or something along
those lines), I don't know for sure. I'd be willing to research that
some if needed.

-Jeff
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:25 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.