Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Forums

On 08/10/2012 12:17 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> An update on where we are : So far it looks like there are really only 2
> options. SMF and phpBB.

http://vanillaforums.org/ has been quite strongly recommended over
twitter and also personally today by a couple of people. I'd never heard
of it before, anyone have any experience with it?

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM
"Yury V. Zaytsev"

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 22:59 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> I'd never heard of it before, anyone have any experience with it?

Ideologically it's something along the lines of Phorum, but new, fancy,
with more features packed in and by default looks a bit more like
StackOverflow. It all boils down to an assessment of whether it fits
your requirements better than the others or not...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/10/2012 11:13 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 22:59 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> I'd never heard of it before, anyone have any experience with it?
>
> Ideologically it's something along the lines of Phorum, but new, fancy,
> with more features packed in and by default looks a bit more like
> StackOverflow. It all boils down to an assessment of whether it fits
> your requirements better than the others or not...

personally, I think lets thrash our phpbb and smf - and look at
alternatives if we find a blocker that prevents us from using either.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Jeff Sheltren

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> personally, I think lets thrash our phpbb and smf - and look at
> alternatives if we find a blocker that prevents us from using either.

Yes, +1

Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Ned Slider

On 10/08/12 23:52, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Karanbir Singh<mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> personally, I think lets thrash our phpbb and smf - and look at
>> alternatives if we find a blocker that prevents us from using either.
>
> Yes, +1

+1, sounds like a plan.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Trevor Hemsley

On 10/08/12 23:42, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/10/2012 11:13 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 22:59 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> I'd never heard of it before, anyone have any experience with it?
>>
>> Ideologically it's something along the lines of Phorum, but new, fancy,
>> with more features packed in and by default looks a bit more like
>> StackOverflow. It all boils down to an assessment of whether it fits
>> your requirements better than the others or not...
>>

> personally, I think lets thrash our phpbb and smf - and look at
> alternatives if we find a blocker that prevents us from using either.

I've installed SMF in a CentOS 6 VM here and have started to set it up.
It has about a million settings to tweak and some of those are not
immediately obvious to a new forum admin :-) The good news is that it
seems to coexist with selinux quite happily, the only setting I had to
change was to allow httpd to network_connect_db but that's to be
expected as the selinux boolean work_magically is still being worked on.

New board and forum set up seems to be fairly straight forward,
permissions seem a bit incomprehensible but that's probably just a
matter of getting used to what it all means. No doubt I shall make a few
cock ups on the permission front before I get the hang of what it all means.

Overall, so far, I like the look of SMF in its out-of-the-box state more
than I do the phpbb instance that KB has running. That one looks a bit
Janet-and-John to me with big fonts and, thankfully, I'm not yet *quite*
old enough to need large print books again.

Late now so I shall look again tomorrow and see what else I can see.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Guys,

Keen on pushing the forum migration work forward, I've setup a trello
board at :
https://trello.com/board/forum-migration/504710938c6119d7369fc859

everyone who wants to pitch in, please email me your account names /
logins and I'll add you to the board. I had a quick trawl through the
forum thread at
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=38727&forum=1 8
and picked up on the concerns that I could spot, feel free to add more in.

Can we then have a chat on IRC to workout the migration plan and go
ahead run through it ? I'm going to go ahead and propose this friday the
7th at 14:00 UTC as an option. How does that work for everyone ?

Regards,

- KB

Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> Can we then have a chat on IRC to workout the migration plan and go
> ahead run through it ? I'm going to go ahead and propose this friday the
> 7th at 14:00 UTC as an option. How does that work for everyone ?

It may be obvious but just in case... 14:00 UTC translates to "too
early to get up for most people on the US west coast".

Akemi

Old 09-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 09/05/2012 04:45 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> It may be obvious but just in case... 14:00 UTC translates to "too
> early to get up for most people on the US west coast".

what would be a suiteable time ?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Jeff Sheltren

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 04:45 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> It may be obvious but just in case... 14:00 UTC translates to "too
>> early to get up for most people on the US west coast".
>
> what would be a suiteable time ?

I'm fine with 14:00 UTC, but an hour or two later would make it easier
for others on the US west coast to attend -- though I'm not sure who
all is interested.

-Jeff