Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Forums

hi,

On 08/08/2012 09:39 PM, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> in an up-to-date forum software. The data migration might be the
> stumbling block since I get the impression that xoops/newbb boards are
> not exactly widely deployed.

Last week I had a look at the code, and what it does to the mysql db at
the backend. Extracting the forum's, their metadata and mapping that to
threads and posts seems fairly straight forward. The actual Subject +
message body in every case is extractable and linking that upto users is
also possible. This is, the extraction process.

Importing this into whatever is the new system decided on then will need
to be considered.

I think for now we can drop the ldap requirement, none of the other
properties have ldap in place either. The point at which we move, all
users will need to reset passwords. Worse case scenario is that they
will need to do the same whenever we moved to a centralised auth layer (
which might still be a long way off ).

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 08-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/08/2012 10:28 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
> The SMF 'unfriendly license' is probably no longer true.
> http://www.simplemachines.org/about/opensource.php

In which case, would you be willing to undertake an evaluation ?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Les Mikesell

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> The SMF 'unfriendly license' is probably no longer true.
>> http://www.simplemachines.org/about/opensource.php
>
> In which case, would you be willing to undertake an evaluation ?

I'm really the wrong person to do that for a couple of reasons - one
is that I dislike forums in general, and the other is that a local
(Chicago area) system that I use runs SMF so everything it does would
seem as 'natural' as forums can be. I could bounce questions to the
guy who runs it or try some specific tests, though.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/08/2012 11:03 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I'm really the wrong person to do that for a couple of reasons - one
> is that I dislike forums in general, and the other is that a local
> (Chicago area) system that I use runs SMF so everything it does would
> seem as 'natural' as forums can be. I could bounce questions to the
> guy who runs it or try some specific tests, though.

Fair enough..

Might he share the top5 most irritating or defective bits of the software ?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Ant

On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 20:07 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/08/2012 08:01 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> > phpBB has one of the worst track records for forum packages with regards
> > to security issues and they have, as Les mentioned, been promising to
> > "fix" the heart of the problem for many, many years now. Quite a few
> > years ago I grew tired of the "phpBB security hole of the week" game,
> > transitioned everything to SMF, and never once looked back. I routinely
> > turn down gigs that want phpBB if I am unable to convince them to go
> > with SMF - it's just not worth the headaches.
>
> Is it possible to quantify this phpbb security issue ?

I see that the security issue risk has already been debunked but wish to
ass my personal opinion. +1 for phpbb 3.x

I have been running 3 phpbb3 forums since 2009, and in that time have
had zero problems with security issues. The admin pages warn you if you
are not up to date and updates are easy. There has not been anything
significant for quite some time. 2 of these 3 sites rank quite highly on
google searches for the content in question, so they are visible.

The only mod I required was for a 'quick reply' box so that you could
enter your reply without having to load the full blown editor.

Updates have been quick and easy to install, even to the point of
automating diffs of the slightly patched theme and letting you review
the changes. I have not had to reinstall my mod, despite the newer
template patches being merged in.

Themes are plentiful (though many dont stretch properly to a wide screen
monitor - a personal annoyance of mine) but its not hard to find one
that does on one of the phpbb3 theme sites.

The app scales well, My three forums are running on a one old pentium 4
chassis, and one of the forums record a record of 50 concurrent users,
yet the load monitoring shows cpu load rarely exceeds 5%.

It works well on centos 5 & 6

It is highly configurable, I can confirm the wish list matrix is still
correct. Its also widely used and supported - if you need to figure
something out its not hard to find info.

Regards,
Anthony

Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Yedidyah Bar-David

Hi all,

I am a sysadmin in isoc.org.il, lurking here for some 2 years or so,
hardly ever posted. So Hi :-)

I have a little experience with phpbb3, which I thought would be
insignificant compared to others here, but I see very few here actually
talk about their own experience so I might share mine.

Some company developed a web site for us in 2008, and they chose phpbb3
as the forum software. IIRC one of the main creteria was Hebrew support,
which is irrelevant for the centos case, but which obviously limited the
choices considerably. It was a one-time contract, and I was to maintain
it. Basically all was well. The main issues we had were with spam. Not
sure how the CFA - Centos Forum Administrator - is going to take care of
this, and I have a feeling that spammers are attracted to phpbb-based
forums more than to others - so it might be an issue more than it used
to be. In our case, we first installed recaptcha - quite recommended -
slightly changing the anonymous posting policy and related stuff every
few months, then writing some cron scripts that would alert us if they
identify something that seems like a spammers attack, the common case
being many new user registrations that did not post for a few hours or
so - the assumption being that real normal people register to a forum
when they want to post, later making these crons automatically delete
these users, and eventually giving up, as the forums were basically
dead - a few posts a year - and closing them for posting, later dropping
them altogether. Noone later complained about them being closed, so we
didn't bother spending more time and thought about this.

Making phpbb3 use recaptcha wasn't that easy, BTW - it was 4 years ago,
but IIRC there are no real "modules", something you plug in and activate,
as in e.g. drupal, but actually "mods", which are more like patches, with
most of them, instead of being real diff files, are human-directed
instructions about how and what to change. I might be wrong about this,
but this needs to be checked prior to deciding.
--
Didi

Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Ant

On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 09:23 +0300, Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:
<snip>

> Making phpbb3 use recaptcha wasn't that easy, BTW - it was 4 years ago,
> but IIRC there are no real "modules", something you plug in and activate,
> as in e.g. drupal, but actually "mods", which are more like patches, with
> most of them, instead of being real diff files, are human-directed
> instructions about how and what to change. I might be wrong about this,
> but this needs to be checked prior to deciding.

Recaptcha is in by default now. The built in anti-spam is updated
regularly as required. I can advise working anti-spam off list, but I
wont go in to detail here as its a cat and mouse game.

Anthony

Old 08-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Les Mikesell

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/08/2012 11:03 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I'm really the wrong person to do that for a couple of reasons - one
>> is that I dislike forums in general, and the other is that a local
>> (Chicago area) system that I use runs SMF so everything it does would
>> seem as 'natural' as forums can be. I could bounce questions to the
>> guy who runs it or try some specific tests, though.
>>

> Fair enough..
>
> Might he share the top5 most irritating or defective bits of the software ?

The only real issue he mentioned on the admin side was dealing with
link spam and he uses these plugins:

stopspammer - http://www.stopforumspam.com/ -
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547
mod httpbl - http://www.projecthoneypot.org/ -
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2155

He says captcha doesn't work because now spammers are mostly paid humans...

He did point out that he doesn't have to deal with scaling problems -
the two sites he runs are pretty low volume. Something larger might
need caching tools or php accelerators.

On the user side, when you visit a forum, it's 'new' status changes at
the top level even if you don't read all of the new postings (but they
remain marked as new when you go back to that forum). This may
affect the 'show all new postings results too - or at least there is
some quirk that can make things you haven't read disappear under some
conditions.

And from my use of the system the RSS feed only gives a few lines of
a posting, not the whole article, so it isn't usable to read through
google reader or other aggregator - but that might be configurable
somewhere.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 08/09/2012 09:50 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> The only real issue he mentioned on the admin side was dealing with
> link spam and he uses these plugins:

I think that is something every website needs to handle - we will need
to as well. At the moment its all manual, hopefully we can adapt and
automate atleast some of the tracking + removal in the new system.

> He says captcha doesn't work because now spammers are mostly paid humans...

nice

> And from my use of the system the RSS feed only gives a few lines of
> a posting, not the whole article, so it isn't usable to read through
> google reader or other aggregator - but that might be configurable
> somewhere.

I believe this is tuneable in most systems these days.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

An update on where we are : So far it looks like there are really only 2
options. SMF and phpBB.

Trevor is looking into SMF ( and a couple of others as well )

I've setup a phpbb instance, setup some scripts for user and content
migration and ported over a single forum from the xoops setup in place
now. Details for this are now with the existing forum moderatots - lets
see what they come back with.

By no means does this mean that a decision has been taken : if there are
other better options out there, please do highlight them here.

- KB