Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Forums

On 08/08/2012 05:10 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> I think having a Q&A type site should be in addition to the forum, not
> a replacement. That's assuming that people think the Q&A
> functionality is worth it. It may be that some forum software could
> be configured to have a specific Q&A sub-forum (or something along
> those lines), I don't know for sure. I'd be willing to research that
> some if needed.

go for it Let us not hold you back from doing a bit of research!

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Les Mikesell

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> "The specific requirements raised by the present www.centos.org forum users"
>
> - Multiple persistent logins: so people can login from multiple
> machines with the same username/password at the same time
> - Remember read/unread posts across multiple PCs/logins per user, not
> per machine
> - View first unread post within thread feature
> - Ability for users to change/edit their registered email address
> - Better management of subscribed threads

But if you are looking for new users, as in people that don't like
forums in general or don't like the current implementation, a good RSS
feed would be a big plus. That is, something that you could plug into
google reader or other aggregator and get the complete posting and a
link to reply from your phone or browser without having to log in
until you want to post or reply.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Ned Slider

On 08/08/12 17:01, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/08/2012 04:50 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Karanbir Singh<mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Realistically, what are the best-of forum software out there at the
>>> moment ? And what are the top 10 items on the forums moderators wish
>>> list at this time ?
>>
>> What are described in :
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
>>
>> are largely true today.
>>
>> "The specific requirements raised by the present www.centos.org forum users"
>>
>> - Multiple persistent logins: so people can login from multiple
>> machines with the same username/password at the same time
>> - Remember read/unread posts across multiple PCs/logins per user, not
>> per machine
>> - View first unread post within thread feature
>> - Ability for users to change/edit their registered email address
>> - Better management of subscribed threads

I agree. We had these discussions ages ago. Nothing has changed since
then from my perspective. The results of those discussions is summarised
here:

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums

> is there any software out there that meets all this specs ?

Probably not - there are always compromises. That said, IIRC the options
were evaluated and phpBB came out on top as most other serious
contenders were eliminated based on their license conditions.

As a user the best forums I have ever used have almost exclusively been
vBulletin, which has always been a non-starter for CentOS as it's not
free/open source. Simple Machines is another that features quite highly
but failed the license requirements. At which point you are really
plucking solutions from towards the bottom of the tree.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Ned Slider

On 08/08/12 10:50, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi Guys,

<snip>

> Finally, lots of people seem to think that moving towards a
> serverfault.org type of interface is more 'these days' than a
> conventional forum setup. Thoughts ?

That's not a forum. I've never heard anyone on the CentOS forums ask for
anything like that. If others want it then that's fine but lets not
confuse it with a replacement for the current forums.

That's like saying lets replace the mailing lists with twitter because
twitter is more modern and popular "these days".

JMHO

Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/08/2012 05:42 PM, Ned Slider wrote:
> That's not a forum. I've never heard anyone on the CentOS forums ask for
> anything like that. If others want it then that's fine but lets not
> confuse it with a replacement for the current forums.

How would you define the difference in the Q&A style posts and a forum ?
i.e what characteristics make a q&a interface not be a forum like setup
( and impact usability therefore )

Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Jeff Sheltren

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> How would you define the difference in the Q&A style posts and a forum ?
> i.e what characteristics make a q&a interface not be a forum like setup
> ( and impact usability therefore )

In my opinion, the Q&A type posts are really hard to read as a
discussion and ask/answer multiple questions (like a discussion would)
or have any flow aside from "here's the answer". You end up with
multiple "answers" (potentially voted up/down), and then each of those
can have some seemingly random comments below them. You don't get the
ability to "quote" posts, or have a back-and-forth type discussion
such as you would be able to do with most (all?) forum software, and
the end result is it's quite hard to read/understand beyond a simple
question and answer.

That's my personal issue with the Q&A type sites, there may be other
issues as well -- I don't use/frequent them enough to know much beyond
that.

-Jeff

Old 08-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Jeff Sheltren <jeff@tag1consulting.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> How would you define the difference in the Q&A style posts and a forum ?
>> i.e what characteristics make a q&a interface not be a forum like setup
>> ( and impact usability therefore )
>
> In my opinion, the Q&A type posts are really hard to read as a
> discussion and ask/answer multiple questions (like a discussion would)
> or have any flow aside from "here's the answer". You end up with
> multiple "answers" (potentially voted up/down), and then each of those
> can have some seemingly random comments below them. You don't get the
> ability to "quote" posts, or have a back-and-forth type discussion
> such as you would be able to do with most (all?) forum software, and
> the end result is it's quite hard to read/understand beyond a simple
> question and answer.

Thanks, Jeff, for the note. I find the same. The Q&A style posts are
far from what a forum is supposed to be. Let's forget about it for now
when discussing a forum replacement.

Akemi

Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/08/2012 06:03 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> Thanks, Jeff, for the note. I find the same. The Q&A style posts are
> far from what a forum is supposed to be. Let's forget about it for now
> when discussing a forum replacement.

ok. its going to be far easier and simpler ( if there is such a thing )
migrating to another forum stack that works in a similar manner to what
we already have in place.

- KB

Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 08/08/2012 11:55 AM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> How would you define the difference in the Q&A style posts and a forum ?
>> i.e what characteristics make a q&a interface not be a forum like setup
>> ( and impact usability therefore )
>
> In my opinion, the Q&A type posts are really hard to read as a
> discussion and ask/answer multiple questions (like a discussion would)
> or have any flow aside from "here's the answer". You end up with
> multiple "answers" (potentially voted up/down), and then each of those
> can have some seemingly random comments below them. You don't get the
> ability to "quote" posts, or have a back-and-forth type discussion
> such as you would be able to do with most (all?) forum software, and
> the end result is it's quite hard to read/understand beyond a simple
> question and answer.
>
> That's my personal issue with the Q&A type sites, there may be other
> issues as well -- I don't use/frequent them enough to know much beyond
> that.

I agree ... I hate the Q&A/serverfault type setups

Old 08-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Nux!

On 08.08.2012 15:28, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> I've always been a big fan of phpBB. It's open source and has a
> decent plugin system for 3rd party mods as needed.

+1 phpBB

Has a large user base and (I imagine) developer base. The likely
security issues will be promptly fixed. :-)

Nux!
www.nux.ro