Old 08-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Alain Reguera Delgado

Default Updating The CentOS Artwork Repository

hi Guys,

I already began to download a working copy of The CentOS Artwork
Repository with the intention of committing up the changes I've been
working on through these last 3 years and this way, put in place all the
information you need to test, verify and validate the work. I'm using a
slow commutated connection with an average speed of 5KB/s but things are
going on. I think the new directory structure should be online to the
end of this month, if everything goes as planned so far.

The CentOS Artwork Repository has changed significantly from that
version currently online to that one I pretend to share this month. The
directory structure currently online suffered significant changes as to
be completely replaced. A preview of the new directory structure I want
to share is in the following file:

http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=tcar.tree.bz2

I would like to know what do we do with the old directory structure
currently available online (https://projects.centos.org/svn/artwork/)?
Do we remove it completely in the sake of the new one, or do we preserve
it in some other place (maybe under tags/)? ...

Once all the information be online and ready to be used, my plan is to
update the wiki page (http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork) to introduce the
changes and the steps you need to follow in order to test the new
directory structure of The CentOS Artwork Repository. This info might
probably answer some of the questions laying around.

Best Regards,

--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera@gmail.com>

Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 08/02/2012 03:03 AM, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> I already began to download a working copy of The CentOS Artwork
> Repository with the intention of committing up the changes I've been
> working on through these last 3 years and this way, put in place all the
> information you need to test, verify and validate the work. I'm using a
> slow commutated connection with an average speed of 5KB/s but things are
> going on. I think the new directory structure should be online to the
> end of this month, if everything goes as planned so far.

That sounds great! Is there anything that we can do to help with that
5KB/s situation ?

> The CentOS Artwork Repository has changed significantly from that
> version currently online to that one I pretend to share this month. The
> directory structure currently online suffered significant changes as to
> be completely replaced. A preview of the new directory structure I want
> to share is in the following file:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=tcar.tree.bz2
>
> I would like to know what do we do with the old directory structure
> currently available online (https://projects.centos.org/svn/artwork/)?
> Do we remove it completely in the sake of the new one, or do we preserve
> it in some other place (maybe under tags/)? ...

yeah, tag it away. Also, if you are doing a lot of your work offline,
have you considered git-svn ?

> Once all the information be online and ready to be used, my plan is to
> update the wiki page (http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork) to introduce the
> changes and the steps you need to follow in order to test the new
> directory structure of The CentOS Artwork Repository. This info might
> probably answer some of the questions laying around.

That sounds good. We are starting to redo the website and the content
under there as well, so we might be able to use some of the Artwork
things already done by you.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 08-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Alain Reguera Delgado

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/02/2012 03:03 AM, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
>> I already began to download a working copy of The CentOS Artwork
>> Repository with the intention of committing up the changes I've been
>> working on through these last 3 years and this way, put in place all the
>> information you need to test, verify and validate the work. I'm using a
>> slow commutated connection with an average speed of 5KB/s but things are
>> going on. I think the new directory structure should be online to the
>> end of this month, if everything goes as planned so far.
>
> That sounds great! Is there anything that we can do to help with that
> 5KB/s situation ?

Being patience, if it is not much to ask. I don't think I could find
something faster by now. This connection is very expensive and hard to
maintain where I'm living at.

>> Once all the information be online and ready to be used, my plan is to
>> update the wiki page (http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork) to introduce the
>> changes and the steps you need to follow in order to test the new
>> directory structure of The CentOS Artwork Repository. This info might
>> probably answer some of the questions laying around.
>
> That sounds good. We are starting to redo the website and the content
> under there as well, so we might be able to use some of the Artwork
> things already done by you.

Nice. Most of my attention now is focused on centos-art.sh script and
its documentation. However, there are already some artistic motifs
inside the repository that could be useful.

It would be very convenient (in the sake of automation) if you could
define all the images we need to re-brand or update, for each visual
manifestation The CentOS Project is made of (e.g., Distributions,
Websites, Promotions, etc.) in order to define their models inside the
repository. Later, based on such models, graphic designers could create
the artistic motifs that are applied to such models. The funny think
here is that you can create several models and several artistic motifs
and then apply them one another as you need. Everything is done with the
centos-art.sh script which uses the directory structure that is being
uploaded to https://projects.centos.org/svn/artwork/trunk/.

I would like to inform that the http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork page was
updated with some of these ideas and would appreciate if you check it
and fix it as long as needed.

Best Regards,

--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera@gmail.com>

Old 08-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Alain Reguera Delgado

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
> That sounds great! Is there anything that we can do to help with that
> 5KB/s situation ?

Karan,

I was thinking a bit more about your kind proposition of help.

I don't see any possible way in Cuba of having a higher connection speed
from home right now, but you (and others) could help me to maintain the
one I am able to use by sending monetary donations to my Caribbean
Transfer debit card through www.cash2cuban.com or
www.caribbeantransfers.com web sites.

The how to donate information could be added to my personal wiki page so
everyone knows how to proceed on donations.

For the matter of numbers, consider that 60 hours of a full Internet
commutated connection with 5KB of average speed is available for foreign
people only, at a cost of 50 CUC (see
http://home.enet.cu/informaciones/tarifas.htm) per moth. However,
because I'm Cuban not a foreign person, I cannot buy myself the Internet
account directly to the ISP[1] and need to pay it through a foreign
people whom may charge between 40 and 70 CUC of additional cost for
it[2]. Thus, the final cost for this sort of connection is found between
90 and 120 CUC a month.

Karan, thank you so much for interesting in this.

[1]: This is a politic of ETECSA (www.etecsa.cu), the ISP of Cuba.
[2]: This depends of the foreign person you find. Specially, if there
are several persons between the foreign person whom buy the account to
the ISP and the person whom sell the account to you.
--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera@gmail.com>