Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Gianluca Cecchi

Default info about CR repo

Hello,
going through the Open Atrium Portal it seems that the final release
could be close....
And at the same time both the 6.3 individual packages and 0-day
updates are available.
As I saw something similar with 6.2 coming very close to upstream
release, I have a question:
the CR repo is not something that gets packages available as soon as
rpm packages pass QA, correct?
So the aim is to avoid CR if possible and use it only if the time
between upstream release and CentOS is becoming huge....
Something like a contingency plan and not a planned thing...
Am I correct?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Gianluca Cecchi

In the mean time I also found this link:
http://centosnow.blogspot.it/2012/06/centos-project-release-times.html
and this one
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38003&forum=14
So probably after 6.3 release completes, there could be some
time-place on the list to discuss about it...

Old 07-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 07/09/2012 07:44 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> In the mean time I also found this link:
> http://centosnow.blogspot.it/2012/06/centos-project-release-times.html
> and this one
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38003&forum=14
> So probably after 6.3 release completes, there could be some
> time-place on the list to discuss about it...

The CR repository is where we will release packages if we are going to
have a delay in our point release caused by issues getting some packages
ready, etc.

So, if there are show-stopper issues that will prevent or greatly
prolong the release ... and our goal is 2-3 weeks ... then we will
release what we have in stages.

If there are critical updates included in the point release, then we may
go ahead and release those if they will run on the previous version as
built before the 2-3 week period. (Note: This was not the case in the
6.3 release, there were no Immediate or Critical security updates
included with 6.3)

Releasing these packages in this manner will slow down the main release
(we have to QA how releasing part of the upgrade and not the rest, etc.)
... so we will not always do it. But we will use the CR repository if
we have issues or critical security updates that are being delayed.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/09/2012 10:33 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> the CR repo is not something that gets packages available as soon as
> rpm packages pass QA, correct?

thats right.

At the moment, we dont test individual packages against the last release
tree. We only test things as a whole ( i.e. in a way that everything is
in place once its been built ).

In order to do the CR/ work properly, we then need to test each update,
without the other updates and new packages included in the next release.
If we can find a way to automate this testing and get reasonable
coverage around those tests, we can push to CR/ in pretty much real time
as things are built and tested via QA.

Ofcourse, there could be issues introduced down the road as newer
packages that come later, then have issues causing earlier packages to
need a rebuild. People using CR/ would then need to keep that in mind.

On the other hand, we could wait for the tree's to get to a 'final'
stage and then push the difference out - while the next release ISOS are
finalised and tested ( during this phase there is very little churn in
the rpms - except for anaconda and its dep tree, and maybe centos-release ).

You are right, now is a good time to solve these issues and be ready
with a functional setup for when 6.4 comes around.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax