-   -   LinuxTag Feedback : A CentOS Cloud Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/672162-linuxtag-feedback-centos-cloud-kernel.html)

Karanbir Singh 05-29-2012 11:33 AM

LinuxTag Feedback : A CentOS Cloud Kernel

hi,

One of the things that came up in the LinuxTag Conversations was that we
should have a lightweight Cloud Optimised CentOS kernel, to compliment
the CentOS Plus one that we have already.

What does everyone on the list feel about something of that nature ? and
what would the highlights of this kernel be ?

- KB
--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

David Hrbáč 05-29-2012 11:38 AM

Dne 29.5.2012 13:33, Karanbir Singh napsal(a):
> hi,
>
> One of the things that came up in the LinuxTag Conversations was that we
> should have a lightweight Cloud Optimised CentOS kernel, to compliment
> the CentOS Plus one that we have already.
>
> What does everyone on the list feel about something of that nature ? and
> what would the highlights of this kernel be ?
>
> - KB

Hi,
Sounds pretty good to me. Vmware support (eth, vga) out-of-the-box is
mandatory for me to use such kernel.
DH

Kailash Marthi 05-29-2012 11:46 AM

LinuxTag Feedback : A CentOS Cloud Kernel

> hi,
>
> One of the things that came up in the LinuxTag Conversations was that we
> should have a lightweight Cloud Optimised CentOS kernel, to compliment
> the CentOS Plus one that we have already.

> What does everyone on the list feel about something of that nature ? and
> what would the highlights of this kernel be ?

> - KB

support for SR-IOV drivers for GPUs, ethernet, infiniband with KVM, Xen
would be top requirements

Karanbir Singh 05-29-2012 01:27 PM

On 05/29/2012 12:46 PM, Kailash Marthi wrote:
>> One of the things that came up in the LinuxTag Conversations was that we
>> should have a lightweight Cloud Optimised CentOS kernel, to compliment
>> the CentOS Plus one that we have already.
> support for SR-IOV drivers for GPUs, ethernet, infiniband with KVM, Xen
> would be top requirements

Wont those sort of things typically be targeting a host kernel rather
than a cloud instance kernel ( and are those bits not already there -
except Xen on dom0 )

- KB