-   -   Automating Artwork Production (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/631456-automating-artwork-production.html)

Alain Reguera Delgado 02-10-2012 11:06 PM

Automating Artwork Production

Hello,

I've been in silence a long time so far because it is very difficult
for me to have real Internet access. However, I've kept myself working
for CentOS and now, I publish what I've been doing for you to evaluate
and propose considerations. I know the wiki is not the best place to
post this information, but it is the only one I have access to
(because restrictions on my side, not yours). Excuse me for that.

The centos-art.sh script:

http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=centos-art.sh.tar.bz2

Documentation about the CentOS Artwork Repository (centos-art.sh
script included):

http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=tcar-ug-xhtml.tar.bz2

The CentOS Artwork Repository Tree for which all automation was done.

http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=tcar.tree.bz2

The centos-web.cgi:

http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=centos-web.tar.bz2

That's it for now. I'll try to download the mailing list archives to
read your comments and when possible replay them.

Thank you very much for all the work you do. I'll try to be back as
soon as possible.

Best Regards,
al.

Steven Crothers 03-18-2012 11:21 PM

Automating Artwork Production

I'm assuming all these graphics are placeholders and not the final product?

Also, there seems to be a few problems with the code, they're overly
simple mistakes (make sure to test perhaps?)

In Apps/page.py at 536 you actually use the character for a copyright
symbol. This is improper, W3 Schools has a few really great tutorials
for web design for beginners [1].

In Apps/page.py at 144 you improperly call the configuration parser,
specifically you are calling an object directly. How did this work in
your test environment exactly? It doesn't quite conform to the current
Python version, or how the module was designed [2].

In Apps/page.py at 257 you area also using the config parser (again,
improperly since you never even attempted to load a configuration
before using its values [3], odd, now sure how that worked in testing
either).

I stopped attempting to run the code after this point, because it
appears that it is beyond repair, unusable and and simply does not
conform to any known standard of writing code.

I'm afraid this email will not reach you in time to prevent you from
making additional mistakes, but perhaps when you get the internet back
again you can utilize the few links I've included in this email to
develop properly.
If this email seems condescending in anyway, it's probably because it
is. I'm actually a little distressed that a completely non-working
model has been submitted publicly to the list as an actual response to
the need for a new site. It also appears that sometime between now and
March 1st of last year, all the existing discussion appears to have
been thrown out. I don't recall there being a discussion on the list
about /this/ particular direction with the site (in terms of extreme
brokenness, it was expected that something functional would be
designed).

It does appear however that a new group of people will have to be put
together in order to develop the new site, I'm expecting though that
because you are "Artwork SIG Lead" [4] you will be personally biased
against the idea of another submission.

I suppose this can now conclude my stance on this submission of
"artwork" to the list and its attempt to be accepted by the list.

1. http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entities.asp
2. http://docs.python.org/library/configparser.html
3. http://docs.python.org/library/configparser.html#ConfigParser.RawConfigParser.rea d
4. http://wiki.centos.org/Team

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Alain Reguera Delgado
<alain.reguera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been in silence a long time so far because it is very difficult
> for me to have real Internet access. However, I've kept myself working
> for CentOS and now, I publish what I've been doing for you to evaluate
> and propose considerations. I know the wiki is not the best place to
> post this information, but it is the only one I have access to
> (because restrictions on my side, not yours). Excuse me for that.
>
> The centos-art.sh script:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=centos-art.sh.tar.bz2
>
> Documentation about the CentOS Artwork Repository (centos-art.sh
> script included):
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=tcar-ug-xhtml.tar.bz2
>
> The CentOS Artwork Repository Tree for which all automation was done.
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=tcar.tree.bz2
>
> The centos-web.cgi:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe t=centos-web.tar.bz2
>
> That's it for now. I'll try to download the mailing list archives to
> read your comments and when possible replay them.
>
> Thank you very much for all the work you do. I'll try to be back as
> soon as possible.
>
> Best Regards,
> al.

Steven Crothers
steven.crothers@gmail.com

Alain Reguera Delgado 03-23-2012 11:10 PM

On 3/19/12, Steven Crothers <steven.crothers@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm assuming all these graphics are placeholders and not the final product?

I posted the placeholder and the code that interacts with it
(centos-art.sh), but I cannot posted the content that let you verify
such thing because of Internet limitations on my side at this moment.
However, it is definitly my plan to post all the repository content to
let you not just produce the art works but the documentation related
to respository structure itself and other manuals you need to create
for whatever purpose.

At this moment I can tell you that once you've defined the Models
(i.e., the SVG files), the Backgrounds images and palettes information
inside the directory tree posted, producing all the CentOS-5.5
artwork production is a matter of few minutes only. This creates the
information needed to rebrand SRPMs very quick and will surely reduce
the rebranding time in the long time. Obviously, it is necessary to
define which are the files we need to rebrand before doing any
rebranding through the repository and the automation tool. I tried to
explain these things in the documentation link posted
(centos-art.xhtml).

> Also, there seems to be a few problems with the code, they're overly
> simple mistakes (make sure to test perhaps?)

I'm sure they do exist, even I tested it and worked for me (otherwise
be sure I wouldn't post it). The cgi code I posted (centos-web.cgi) is
a few weeks intention to learn Python doing something that could be
usefull. I'm not a Python expert and need to learn a lot about it. I
think the CentOS website must be simple, very simple indeed, and I'll
try to express that in a Python program that would be glad to share in
the community. I'm agree with the visual distribution you posted on
the wiki.

> I stopped attempting to run the code after this point, because it
> appears that it is beyond repair, unusable and and simply does not
> conform to any known standard of writing code.

Not much to say about that. I don't expect to learn how to run before
how to walk first. In that sake, I accept your observation.

> If this email seems condescending in anyway, it's probably because it
> is. I'm actually a little distressed that a completely non-working
> model has been submitted publicly to the list as an actual response to
> the need for a new site.

Well, it doesn't work the way you expect, but I warranty you (again)
that in my CentOS-5.5 workstation it does work. Remember, this is not
a solution yet. Just an intention to create one. Now I now that it
doesn't work for you so I will try to make a better proposition when
time permit me.

> It also appears that sometime between now and
> March 1st of last year, all the existing discussion appears to have
> been thrown out. I don't recall there being a discussion on the list
> about /this/ particular direction with the site (in terms of extreme
> brokenness, it was expected that something functional would be
> designed).

Keep working on your ideas and if no answer is returned, keep working
on your ideas anyway. The needs has been identified already, let's use
those needs as base to create the solutions that satisfy them.
Sometimes it is difficult to understand how much effort people need in
order to keep themselves going on without breaking themselves to stop
working in the former idea that motivated them to start. Consider that
I had to reduce my computer time to 4 hours a day and near 8 on
weekends. I'm working very hard to have more computer time and a more
frequent Internet access so we be able to strength our communication
and CentOS collaborations.

In all directions, I'm very glad to see your response and hope to see
more like this soon. Thank you very much Steven for taking the time.

Best Regards,
al.