FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default pulp as a private mirror resource

hi guys,

I've been looking at using pulp ( pulpproject.org ) as a means to
promote rpms into the evolving repos ( updates/ extras/ plus/ etc ) as
opposed to static repos ( os/ ). So that people running large infra do
not need to rely on the msync targets, leaving those available for
public mirror use.

This is very much a spike test to see if pulp is usable for such a role.
The thinking is that there is a .centos.org hosted pulp master ( or a
few ) and Content nodes in various geo distributed places, with every
one wanting to run a private mirror just bringing up a content node,
associating it with the repo's they care about and letting that content
instance sync on schedule. removing the need to repo-manage completely.

The pulp project guys have been very very receptive of constructive
criticism and have even offered to take up some of the recommendations I
had, as feature requests. So even if we do find there are massive holes
that are not filled in a way by pulp today, there might be scope for
them to find workarounds or even see if they can find suitable fix's

I have asked on IRC and the main list for people who might be willing to
help trial and evaluate this process, but havent been able to get much
support. So asking here as well, anyone with a few machines willing to
spend a few hours working out the issues that such a setup might have ?

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax
GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default pulp as a private mirror resource

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I've been looking at using pulp ( pulpproject.org ) as a means to
> promote rpms into the evolving repos ( updates/ extras/ plus/ etc ) as
> opposed to static repos ( os/ ). So that people running large infra do
> not need to rely on the msync targets, leaving those available for
> public mirror use.

Not sure I understand the project concept. I don't ever want to
mirror anything anywhere or do anything that needs per-disto,
per-version configuration and maintenance, but I'd love to be able to
point yum at a pair of my own proxies (preferred/failover) and have
those proxies cache things in a configurable/usable way.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default pulp as a private mirror resource

On 01/27/2012 07:55 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I've been looking at using pulp ( pulpproject.org ) as a means to
>> promote rpms into the evolving repos ( updates/ extras/ plus/ etc ) as
>> opposed to static repos ( os/ ). So that people running large infra do
> Not sure I understand the project concept. I don't ever want to
> mirror anything anywhere or do anything that needs per-disto,
> per-version configuration and maintenance, but I'd love to be able to
> point yum at a pair of my own proxies (preferred/failover) and have
> those proxies cache things in a configurable/usable way.
>

This effort is targeting people who want to run complete distro mirrors
internally within their own network.

--
Karanbir Singh
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax
GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 01-28-2012, 03:30 AM
Les Mikesell
 
Default pulp as a private mirror resource

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 01/27/2012 07:55 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> I've been looking at using pulp ( pulpproject.org ) as a means to
>>> promote rpms into the evolving repos ( updates/ extras/ plus/ etc ) as
>>> opposed to static repos ( os/ ). So that people running large infra do
>> Not sure I understand the project concept. *I don't ever want to
>> mirror anything anywhere or do anything that needs per-disto,
>> per-version configuration and maintenance, but I'd love to be able to
>> point yum at a pair of my own proxies (preferred/failover) and have
>> those proxies cache things in a configurable/usable way.
>>
>
> This effort is targeting people who want to run complete distro mirrors
> internally within their own network.

I'd like a program that fixed the underlying reasons that make you
need a local distro mirror, but don't think copying a bunch of stuff
just because it is there is the solution.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default pulp as a private mirror resource

On 01/28/2012 04:30 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I'd like a program that fixed the underlying reasons that make you
> need a local distro mirror, but don't think copying a bunch of stuff
> just because it is there is the solution.
>

feel free to write something, suggest an app. This specific efforts has
a different problem:solution pair.

--
Karanbir Singh
+44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax
GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default pulp as a private mirror resource

On 01/27/2012 04:13 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I've been looking at using pulp ( pulpproject.org ) as a means to
> promote rpms into the evolving repos ( updates/ extras/ plus/ etc ) as
> opposed to static repos ( os/ ). So that people running large infra do
> not need to rely on the msync targets, leaving those available for
> public mirror use.
>
> This is very much a spike test to see if pulp is usable for such a role.
> The thinking is that there is a .centos.org hosted pulp master ( or a
> few ) and Content nodes in various geo distributed places, with every
> one wanting to run a private mirror just bringing up a content node,
> associating it with the repo's they care about and letting that content
> instance sync on schedule. removing the need to repo-manage completely.
>
> The pulp project guys have been very very receptive of constructive
> criticism and have even offered to take up some of the recommendations I
> had, as feature requests. So even if we do find there are massive holes
> that are not filled in a way by pulp today, there might be scope for
> them to find workarounds or even see if they can find suitable fix's
>
> I have asked on IRC and the main list for people who might be willing to
> help trial and evaluate this process, but havent been able to get much
> support. So asking here as well, anyone with a few machines willing to
> spend a few hours working out the issues that such a setup might have ?
>
> - KB
>

It seams that I would have use for this project, so I will try to find
some time to help out. I will not promise anything, but I AM interested
in this.

First off, I will study the docs and then probably create one server
instance to see how this works.

Do you have server set up? Any time frame so I can decide what and when
I could set aside some time?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
trusty Spiderman...
StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 01-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default pulp as a private mirror resource

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 01/28/2012 04:30 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I'd like a program that fixed the underlying reasons that make you
>> need a local distro mirror, but don't think copying a bunch of stuff
>> just because it is there is the solution.
>>
>
> feel free to write something, suggest an app. This specific efforts has
> a different problem:solution pair.

I think the problem is generally the same. Or problems: yum with a
mirrorlist makes caching problematic, without one it has a failure
point, and yum doesn't do repeatable updates. But if you would
arrange the picture on the pulp site into small groups of clients
doing different services at several different remote sites it might be
easier to why I don't think an intermediate mirror is a good solution.
What I want is to be able to test updates to a machine configured
for a service, then repeat that update predictably across the set of
machines at disparate locations, perhaps concurrently with another set
at a different update level. I'd prefer to not bother the official
mirrors for more than one copy of a package, but not badly enough to
copy packages I don't need or create my own failure point. I have
standard caching proxies at most locations, but they don't help much
until you have pulled a copy from each mirror. Everyone with more
than one machine at a location is going to have the caching issue.
Everyone with different testing groups is going to have the multiple
state issue. There has to be a way to deal with the problems that
doesn't involve maintaining a mirror per-distribution, per-version,
per-location, per-reproducible-state. Even if a tool makes that
easy, it can't be the right thing to do. Who even wants to keep track
of the last user of each mirror to know when to deactivate it?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org