Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Les Mikesell

Default What name would be acceptable for Desktop version of CentOS?

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury@shurup.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 10:38 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> EPEL's policy is to not replace any upstream packages so there is
>> generally no versioning issue if they are the only additional repo
>
> There is much more than just that to it, read inconsistent package
> naming, "public" libraries residing together with the application in the
> same package and the list goes on.
>
> On top of this there are things like packages compiled against libraries
> with different ABI versions etc., which very quickly gets messy once
> your package base becomes sufficiently large and you are mixing sources.
>
> All of this can only be fully resolved by a substantial effort to keep
> repositories compatible, which in turn requires the resources that
> neither RF or EPEL have to spare.

I think this misses the point that they can't be compatible for the
common case where RF wants to have a newer version of something that
in turn needs newer supporting libraries. No amount of resources can
solve an inherent conflict when the distribution and packaging systems
don't have a concept of having multiple versions installed
concurrently.

> There have been some efforts to keep the repositories "reasonably"
> compatible from both sides, but that's pretty much as far as you can get
> given current situation; it will never be perfect.

The design is just not there to permit it. Look at something as
simple and frequently desired as running two different java
applications under different jvm versions. The OS itself has no
problem with that, but you can't get the packaging tools to deal with
it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
"Yury V. Zaytsev"

> I think this misses the point that they can't be compatible for the
> common case where RF wants to have a newer version of something that
> in turn needs newer supporting libraries.

They certainly can, read libcompatXXX...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury@shurup.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 11:09 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> I think this misses the point that they can't be compatible for the
>> common case where RF wants to have a newer version of something that
>> in turn needs newer supporting libraries.
>
> They certainly can, read libcompatXXX...

Isn't that just for shared C libs? What about perl/python/java/php,
etc. where the new app you want needs supporting versions of things
that will break the older packages you want to keep?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 01/23/2012 05:28 PM, David Hrbáč wrote:
> Dne 23.1.2012 15:36, Ljubomir Ljubojevic napsal(a):
>> All 3rd party repos have their own pace. RepoForge for instance does
>> not care what happens in EPEL. I see a need for possible "override of
>> certain packages in "master" repository for the "desktop distro" so
>> upgrade and install paths are stable.
>
> So, Epel does so?
> DH

Yury and David, forgive me for not being thorough in my statement.
I do not accuse RepoForge of anything, all of you guys there do your
best and I appreciate it. Bad choice of words. And I especially should
have limited this statement to audio/video codec subsistem (gstreamer
particularly). My sincere apologies. But you have to concede that
consequence for noob user is the same regardless of the cause.

I wanted to explain that with conflicts between aTrpms, RepoForge and
EPEL (and others) regular user must have larger knowledge how to resolve
those conflicts via yum commands.

I regard EPEL as second level repository (base/updates/centosplus/extras
and ElRepo are first), RepoForge third level repository and aTrpms forth
level repository (compiling/rebuilding environment issues and other
stuff). That is why I singled out RepoForge and not some other repository.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 01/24/2012 12:03 AM, Andreas Kasenides wrote:

> @LL
> I have been toying with the idea of a CentOS DT edition (or Desktop
> Modification edition) for several months now.

As Original Poster, I urge, plead and ask EVERYONE to stop going
off-topic. This IS development mailing list, not even General mailing list.

My question was THE NAME of fork (or guidance) that will be acceptable
for CentOS project. Period.

I will prepare the draft of what I think should be done, with all the
pros and cons, and will see with project leaders where to hold debate,
either on one of the CentOS ml's, or we will find neutral/acceptable
mailing list or forums thread to start the debate and contemplation
about further steps.

Thank you for your understanding,

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic