-   -   What name would be acceptable for Desktop version of CentOS? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/623337-what-name-would-acceptable-desktop-version-centos.html)

Brian Mathis 01-20-2012 04:42 PM

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:
> Dear developers of CentOS, I plan to create/start Desktop
> version/fork/respin of CentOS, practically just to add useful packages,
> modified repository with prioritized third-party repositories, maybe few
> tweaks, and built ISO and repositories, so we are not limited to messing
> with manually adding third-party repositories and dealing with
> dependency problems. Basic repositories will remain from CentOS project.
>
> I plan to latter on ask about endorsement, maybe even hosting/mirroring
> project or even running it under the CentOS project flag. I will have to
> formulate my goals for the project and see how it resonates with you,
> developers of CentOS.
>
> For the time being, to keep the ball rolling, I have question about the
> name that you find acceptable (even in the case that I can not find
> common ground with CentOS project and it remains on the sidelines):
>
> 1. CentDOS (Community Enterprize Desktop Operating System)
> 2. DentOS *(Desktop Enterprize Operating System)
> 3. CentOS-DE (Community Enterprize Operating System - Desktop Edition)
> 4. Any new suggestion?
>
> I personally and few other people like the first name, CentDOS.
>
> --
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic

"CentOS Desktop" would be sufficiently descriptive and not overly
confusing. We already have issues (just by nature) with confusion on
the different parallel generations (4, 5, 6). The fact that "CentOS"
is an acronym should not be taken too seriously, as it easily stands
on it's own as a word with a brand behind it.

"CentDOS" is too close to MS-DOS, which could be taken as some sort of
free DOS replacement.

❧ Brian Mathis

Matt Rose 01-20-2012 04:53 PM

On 01/20/2012 12:34 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Dear developers of CentOS, I plan to create/start Desktop
> version/fork/respin of CentOS, practically just to add useful packages,
> modified repository with prioritized third-party repositories, maybe few
> tweaks, and built ISO and repositories, so we are not limited to messing
> with manually adding third-party repositories and dealing with
> dependency problems. Basic repositories will remain from CentOS project.
>
> I plan to latter on ask about endorsement, maybe even hosting/mirroring
> project or even running it under the CentOS project flag. I will have to
> formulate my goals for the project and see how it resonates with you,
> developers of CentOS.
>
> For the time being, to keep the ball rolling, I have question about the
> name that you find acceptable (even in the case that I can not find
> common ground with CentOS project and it remains on the sidelines):
>
> 1. CentDOS (Community Enterprize Desktop Operating System)
> 2. DentOS (Desktop Enterprize Operating System)
> 3. CentOS-DE (Community Enterprize Operating System - Desktop Edition)
> 4. Any new suggestion?
>
> I personally and few other people like the first name, CentDOS.

CentDOS has negative connotations, both with respect to MS-DOS, and
Denial of Service. As well the td letter combination sounds a little
clumsy.

CentOS - DE or CentOS Desktop would be perfectly acceptable, as long as
the CentOS project itself was fine with you using their trademark.

You could also be a little adventurous and call it something entirely
different, like Chocolate. (though that probably popped into my head
because of Linux Mint).

Matt

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 01-20-2012 05:24 PM

On 01/20/2012 06:53 PM, Matt Rose wrote:
> You could also be a little adventurous and call it something entirely
> different, like Chocolate. (though that probably popped into my head
> because of Linux Mint).

I would like to stay as close as possible to CentOS name, because it
practically is CentOS, with third-party repositories enabled. Intention
is to provide easily installable packages from various repositories, but
I have no desire to make it into developing distro, just a bunch of
carefully chosen and above all as stable as possible packages sitting on
top of the CentOS (with as little as possible replaced packages) that
will attract Desktop users wanting stability above all, but not
knowledgeable enough to decide what package from what repository they
are to chose.

I have not made any decision yet about a name, and I am very well aware
of negative implications some proposed names have, that is precisely why
I asked for a fresh perspective and additional input. I did not want to
put any ideas into your heads, but I have chosen instead to hear your
original sentiment.

Problem with CentOS-DE I see is that it consists of two words when you
say it, it would be better that it is one fluid word that clearly
defines it in conversation.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Les Mikesell 01-20-2012 05:37 PM

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:

> I would like to stay as close as possible to CentOS name, because it
> practically is CentOS, with third-party repositories enabled. Intention
> is to provide easily installable packages from various repositories, but
> I have no desire to make it into developing distro, just a bunch of
> carefully chosen and above all as stable as possible packages sitting on
> top of the CentOS (with as little as possible replaced packages) that
> will attract Desktop users wanting stability above all, but not
> knowledgeable enough to decide what package from what repository they
> are to chose.

Why bother spinning an install for that? A repository-release file
and list of packages or group for yum should work on top of a standard
install. I've always thought there should be some standard/easy way
for anyone to publish a set suitable for some particular use, but I
don't think it really exists.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Matt Rose 01-20-2012 05:40 PM

On 01/20/2012 01:24 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 01/20/2012 06:53 PM, Matt Rose wrote:
>> You could also be a little adventurous and call it something entirely
>> different, like Chocolate. (though that probably popped into my head
>> because of Linux Mint).
>
> Problem with CentOS-DE I see is that it consists of two words when you
> say it, it would be better that it is one fluid word that clearly
> defines it in conversation.

DesCent? Slightly negative connotations, but I like the way it rolls
off the tongue. If you wanted more association you could call it DesCentOS.

Matt

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 01-20-2012 05:56 PM

On 01/20/2012 07:37 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic<office@plnet.rs> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to stay as close as possible to CentOS name, because it
>> practically is CentOS, with third-party repositories enabled. Intention
>> is to provide easily installable packages from various repositories, but
>> I have no desire to make it into developing distro, just a bunch of
>> carefully chosen and above all as stable as possible packages sitting on
>> top of the CentOS (with as little as possible replaced packages) that
>> will attract Desktop users wanting stability above all, but not
>> knowledgeable enough to decide what package from what repository they
>> are to chose.
>
> Why bother spinning an install for that? A repository-release file
> and list of packages or group for yum should work on top of a standard
> install. I've always thought there should be some standard/easy way
> for anyone to publish a set suitable for some particular use, but I
> don't think it really exists.

The problem is that regular CentOS .repo files, and .repo files of all
third-party repositories have no concept of "priorities", so what must
be done is to totally replace all .repo files, and I do not feel
comfortable with calling such a move a minor one. Also, At least on
repository must be more important then stock CentOS repositories, so
overrides can be done.

My wish is to create LiveDVD, and even regular install ISO's with at
least ElRepo driver packages, and those ISO's can not be called CentOS
since CentOS brand = ~100% RHEL clone without any additions.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 01-20-2012 06:03 PM

On 01/20/2012 07:56 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
>> I would like to stay as close as possible to CentOS name,
>> because it practically is CentOS, with third-party
>> repositories enabled
>
> You know, the CentOS project takes much care to avoid coming
> 'too close' to the trade marks of others ... It is just
> unfriendly not to respect that effort and history, and to
> consciously try to be 'as close as possible' to the mark of
> another
>
> the proposed name form will cause brand confusion in the mind
> of un-careful readers who do not follow 'inside baseball'
> branding issues. It will result in 'load' coming to the
> CentOS support venues, rather than the place that shipped
> non-CentOS code. When the such confused souls do show up
> anyway in CentOS support venue, the load will fall on people
> other than your sub-project, Ljubomir. Is this just?
>
> Please choose something else

Once again, THAT IS why I am asking here before I make any decision. My
first impulse was CentDOS, but I chose to suppress it and come here and
ask for projects opinion what is and what is not acceptable, and choose
from acceptable ones.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Akemi Yagi 01-20-2012 06:07 PM

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:

> My wish is to create LiveDVD, and even regular install ISO's with at
> least ElRepo driver packages,

You might remember this story:

http://dag.wieers.com/blog/centos-based-livecd-at-froscon

Akemi