Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Ferry Huberts

Default mirror setup/layout

Hi list

I'm mirroring some centos trees for my site.
I've seen that currently the (for example) 6 directory links to the 6.2
directory.

How about reversing that: let 6 always contain the latest and let 6.2
(latest) link to the 6 (base)?

There is at least the advantage (for me) that I only have to rsync a
single tree (base). Also I think it's much clearer :-)
--
Ferry Huberts

Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 01/05/2012 03:07 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I'm mirroring some centos trees for my site.
> I've seen that currently the (for example) 6 directory links to the 6.2
> directory.
>
> How about reversing that: let 6 always contain the latest and let 6.2
> (latest) link to the 6 (base)?

It is much easier to populate 6.x and then just change symlink. In your
suggestion, they would have to move all files from 6 to 6.x, then
populate 6 with new files. during that last period, we would not be able
to use yum.

> There is at least the advantage (for me) that I only have to rsync a
> single tree (base). Also I think it's much clearer :-)

I only sync 6 , not 6.x. There is no need if you anly want latest. 6
anyway points to latest 6.x, I do not see what your problem can bee.

Actually, I use mrepo and ISO files for base repo, and rsync only
updates, and other repo's.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Ferry Huberts

On 05-01-12 17:19, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 03:07 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>> Hi list
>>
>> I'm mirroring some centos trees for my site.
>> I've seen that currently the (for example) 6 directory links to the 6.2
>> directory.
>>
>> How about reversing that: let 6 always contain the latest and let 6.2
>> (latest) link to the 6 (base)?
>
> It is much easier to populate 6.x and then just change symlink. In your
> suggestion, they would have to move all files from 6 to 6.x, then
> populate 6 with new files. during that last period, we would not be able
> to use yum.
>

>> There is at least the advantage (for me) that I only have to rsync a
>> single tree (base). Also I think it's much clearer :-)
>
> I only sync 6 , not 6.x. There is no need if you anly want latest. 6
> anyway points to latest 6.x, I do not see what your problem can bee.

After reading this and checking the rsync man page again, I rediscovered
the -L option. After trying that it seems to work great for me.

Thanks for the hint :-)

--
Ferry Huberts

Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 01/05/2012 02:07 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
> There is at least the advantage (for me) that I only have to rsync a
> single tree (base). Also I think it's much clearer :-)

As a matter of interest - what sort of a use case do you have wherein
the updates/ repo is not needed ?

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Ferry Huberts

On 05-01-12 17:58, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 02:07 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>> There is at least the advantage (for me) that I only have to rsync a
>> single tree (base). Also I think it's much clearer :-)
>
> As a matter of interest - what sort of a use case do you have wherein
> the updates/ repo is not needed ?

see my other mail, Ljubomir gave me a nice hint :-)

--
Ferry Huberts