Old 12-29-2011, 04:09 AM
lowlux

Default custom iso spin

I am also interested in doing this...

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Larry Brigman <larry.brigman@gmail.com> wrote:

I see the small ISO images but I would like
to build something custom but not a live image.

What tools do you use to create these images?

Is there some documentation on building a custom iso spin?
I would also like to be able to drive the tools.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 AM
夜神 岩男

On 12/29/2011 02:09 PM, lowlux wrote:
> I am also interested in doing this...
>
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Larry Brigman <larry.brigman@gmail.com
> <mailto:larry.brigman@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I see the small ISO images but I would like
> to build something custom but not a live image.
>
> What tools do you use to create these images?
> Is there some documentation on building a custom iso spin?
> I would also like to be able to drive the tools.

I was just about to ask this exact same question. I use livecd-creator
and some ks files to create livecds, and that's nice, but I have a need
now to create a more complete network-boot installer which includes a
lot of changes/different packages.

And I completely don't remember how to do it anymore. There is a utility
for this, and its not livecd-creator (or the gui revisor thing, either)
grrrr...

Anyone?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Scott Rineer

How about using pxe and cobbler instead.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Patrick Lists

On 29-12-11 12:32, Scott Rineer wrote:
> How about using pxe and cobbler instead.

I don't think that a PXE/Cobbler setup is capable of creating an ISO
image. At least I have never heard of nor read about this possibility.

Regards,
Patrick

Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Jeff Sheltren

I see the small ISO images but I would like
to build something custom but not a live image.

What tools do you use to create these images?
Is there some documentation on building a custom iso spin?
I would also like to be able to drive the tools.

Here is the LiveCD project page which describes all the tools and steps needed to create a LiveCD. *The page is a bit dated I see, but the information is still mostly valid.

https://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/
-Jeff*

Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Jeff Sheltren

2011/12/28 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato@yahoo.co.jp>

On 12/29/2011 02:09 PM, lowlux wrote:

> I am also interested in doing this...

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Larry Brigman <larry.brigman@gmail.com

> <mailto:larry.brigman@gmail.com>> wrote:

> * * I see the small ISO images but I would like

> * * to build something custom but not a live image.

> * * What tools do you use to create these images?

> * * Is there some documentation on building a custom iso spin?

> * * I would also like to be able to drive the tools.

I was just about to ask this exact same question. I use livecd-creator

and some ks files to create livecds, and that's nice, but I have a need

now to create a more complete network-boot installer which includes a

lot of changes/different packages.

And I completely don't remember how to do it anymore. There is a utility

for this, and its not livecd-creator (or the gui revisor thing, either)

grrrr...

*I agree with Scott that it sounds like pxe booting (you could also use the netboot iso/usb disk if you prefer) and kickstart sounds like it'll meet your needs. *If you really want to create a custom installer, that's a bit more difficult, but you're probably thinking of the Fedora tools like Revisor.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Custom
-Jeff

Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
夜神 岩男

On 12/29/2011 11:20 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> 2011/12/28 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato@yahoo.co.jp
> <mailto:supergiantpotato@yahoo.co.jp>>
>
> On 12/29/2011 02:09 PM, lowlux wrote:
> > I am also interested in doing this...
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Larry Brigman
> <larry.brigman@gmail.com <mailto:larry.brigman@gmail.com>
> > <mailto:larry.brigman@gmail.com
> <mailto:larry.brigman@gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >
> > I see the small ISO images but I would like
> > to build something custom but not a live image.
> >
> > What tools do you use to create these images?
> > Is there some documentation on building a custom iso spin?
> > I would also like to be able to drive the tools.
>
> I was just about to ask this exact same question. I use livecd-creator
> and some ks files to create livecds, and that's nice, but I have a need
> now to create a more complete network-boot installer which includes a
> lot of changes/different packages.
>
> And I completely don't remember how to do it anymore. There is a utility
> for this, and its not livecd-creator (or the gui revisor thing, either)
> grrrr...
>
> I agree with Scott that it sounds like pxe booting (you could also use
> the netboot iso/usb disk if you prefer) and kickstart sounds like it'll
> meet your needs. If you really want to create a custom installer, that's
> a bit more difficult, but you're probably thinking of the Fedora tools
> like Revisor.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Custom

My intent was specifically to get away from livecds, which is all that
Revisor can do. Its really buggy anyway (putting it lightly).

As a followup, the ISO creation suite for installers that underlies
everything is part of anaconda-runtime.
/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/buildinstall is what I was looking for.

Getting at these tools was the whole point of my post. I'm not the OP
here, but I think he was after the same thing.

buildinstall is a script that changes a directory with a
dependency-complete package list into a bootable file system, ready to
be iso9660'd -- but as an install media (what we want), *not* as a
livecd (not what we want).

Cobbler stands on top of buildinstall, yumdownloader and a few other
things, but doesn't seem to be geared towards installations as much as
diskless PXE boot for live systems -- though ks can of course be used
for mass installs, but has its own problems when given a lot of
non-standard media types to install to and dual- and triple-boot
systems. Unfortunately this is the problem I have right now.

Anyway, after having run buildinstall I get a noisy build -- noisier
than I remember it being. The main problems have to do with thinks like
awk not being linked correctly, or selinux policy files not being found,
or especially install-info docs not being located. Tracking these down
is a pain, because apparently the spec files indeed do *not* contain
complete dependency information... which sucks, but is workable.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 12/29/2011 08:04 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 29-12-11 12:32, Scott Rineer wrote:
>> How about using pxe and cobbler instead.
>
> I don't think that a PXE/Cobbler setup is capable of creating an ISO
> image. At least I have never heard of nor read about this possibility.

Not to create an ISO, to allow for user specific kickstart installs.

There is no reason to create a dozen different ISO types with this or
that set of packages. Use PXE and a separate kickstart file to create
as many variant installs as you want from the main tree.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Karanbir Singh

hey,

On 12/29/2011 04:21 AM, Larry Brigman wrote:
> I see the small ISO images but I would like
> to build something custom but not a live image.

So, in CentOS-6, we have the capability to churn our almost arbitrary
number of 'spins' at buildtime and have them tested / released in sync
with the main distro ( eg. the minimal install iso set ).

Have an interesting idea that could potentially appeal to more than just
yourself and your kitchen sink ? why not do this as a part of the CentOS
buildprocess and have the results pushed in sync with the main distro.

We could, should there be a need, even have rpms that are not a part of
the distro ( eg. somethings from an external third party repo ). There
would be some stuff that needs resolved and make sure all licenses etc
are in place, and some level of assurances are in place for upgrade path
etc. But it can be done, fairly easily.

> What tools do you use to create these images?

we have only ever used anaconda. There are various other tools that are
around, some more popular at various points in time than others - but
within the CentOS space - we have only used anaconda.

> Is there some documentation on building a custom iso spin?
> I would also like to be able to drive the tools.

What does that mean 'drive the tools' ?

- KB

Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Larry Brigman

On 12/29/2011 04:21 AM, Larry Brigman wrote:

> I see the small ISO images but I would like

> to build something custom but not a live image.

So, in CentOS-6, we have the capability to churn our almost arbitrary

number of 'spins' at buildtime and have them tested / released in sync

with the main distro ( eg. the minimal install iso set ).

Have an interesting idea that could potentially appeal to more than just

yourself and your kitchen sink ? why not do this as a part of the CentOS

buildprocess and have the results pushed in sync with the main distro.

We could, should there be a need, even have rpms that are not a part of

the distro ( eg. somethings from an external third party repo ). There

would be some stuff that needs resolved and make sure all licenses etc

are in place, and some level of assurances are in place for upgrade path

etc. But it can be done, fairly easily.

That sounds good.* I have built ISO's with upstream packages that weren't available
even from EPEL.
*

> What tools do you use to create these images?

we have only ever used anaconda. There are various other tools that are

around, some more popular at various points in time than others - but

within the CentOS space - we have only used anaconda.

I take it the tools are in anaconda-runtime or their dependency set?
*

> Is there some documentation on building a custom iso spin?

> I would also like to be able to drive the tools.

What does that mean 'drive the tools' ?

I have used buildinstall from anaconda-runtime package but trying
my same recipe that I used from Centos 5 doesn't work.* So I wonder,

*if I was giving the correct input to the tool or if the project has a set of
scripts that provide that input in some manner that would better
document the tools?