-   -   Ruby and Rails packaging effort (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/607097-ruby-rails-packaging-effort.html)

Anthony J Burton 12-06-2011 04:06 PM

Ruby and Rails packaging effort

I am working on getting Ruby and Rails working via RPMs on CentOS. It seems like much could be ported from Fedora, but that could very well be crazy talk on my part. We have a client who is using CentOS for whom we are delivering a working application, albeit with a lot of manual labor to get a working Ruby environment. Getting it working with RPM is part of the requirements and I'd like this to translate into a benefit for CentOS, if possible.

We're using fpm right now to package the application. I have built and maintained RPMs in the past but am unfamiliar with the peculiarities of legacy commitments in CentOS (i.e. Ruby+Rails is a fast moving target; CentOS implies more stability).

Any advice on getting this completed is welcomed.

Thanks,
Anthony

Ali Corbin 12-06-2011 05:19 PM

Ruby and Rails packaging effort

I am working on getting Ruby and Rails working via RPMs on CentOS. It seems like much could be ported from Fedora, but that could very well be crazy talk on my part. We have a client who is using CentOS for whom we are delivering a working application, albeit with a lot of manual labor to get a working Ruby environment. Getting it working with RPM is part of the requirements and I'd like this to translate into a benefit for CentOS, if possible.

We're using fpm right now to package the application. I have built and maintained RPMs in the past but am unfamiliar with the peculiarities of legacy commitments in CentOS (i.e. Ruby+Rails is a fast moving target; CentOS implies more stability).

Any advice on getting this completed is welcomed.

Thanks,

Anthony

EPEL has ruby and rubygems packages available for both rhel/centos 5 and 6.
It appears that you need to install them and then use gem to install ruby on rails.
Ali

Jarod Watkins 12-07-2011 02:33 AM

Ruby and Rails packaging effort

I would suggest for you to package the Rails app with RPM and include
the Ruby Gems in the vendor directory (see bundler and packing gems).
That way you only depend on Ruby as a true dependency and can have up
to date gems. Some of the Ruby Gems in EPEL are way out of date and
you will run into issues with dependencies.

Håvard Sørli 12-08-2011 07:22 PM

On 07. des. 2011 04:33, Jarod Watkins wrote:
> I would suggest for you to package the Rails app with RPM and include
> the Ruby Gems in the vendor directory (see bundler and packing gems).
> That way you only depend on Ruby as a true dependency and can have up
> to date gems. Some of the Ruby Gems in EPEL are way out of date and
> you will run into issues with dependencies.

The best you could do for the community is to update the old Ruby Gems
in EPEL. Then a lot more people get a better Ruby experience. Your
customer would also get more general and better tested software.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#Contributing_to_EPEL