Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Johnny Hughes

Default CentOS errata

On 11/29/2011 06:24 AM, Peter Meier wrote:
>> Sometime ago I also tried to write a scrapper script in python to get
>> all the erratas. My major crib that time was:
>> 1. No fixed format of the subject line which made it difficult to
>> scrap the package name
>
> I think this is something that CentOS could improve in general about
> how their Erratas are available. Karanbir Singh recently mentioned on
> #pulp, that if there is something that could be done to help to
> integrate CentOS better into pulp, this should be brought up to the
> CentOS developers. (If I understood his comment correctly....)
>
> So this is imho something that could be brought up on the centos-devel
> list, or on the more appropriate one, if that doesn't fit there.
>
> Hence, I CC this to the centos-devel list. I hope this is fine for everybody.

We can not "copy" what they have, this would be a term of service breach
of their "Errata Portal"

We can point to things, we can't copy them ... hence the links and the
announce list.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Peter Meier

> We can not "copy" what they have, this would be a term of service breach
> of their "Errata Portal"
>
> We can point to things, we can't copy them ... hence the links and the
> announce list.

But the errata could also be made available in additional format than
only by mail? That would not include to "copy" them, wouldn't it?

~pete

Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Lamar Owen

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 04:16:32 PM Peter Meier wrote:
> But the errata could also be made available in additional format than
> only by mail? That would not include to "copy" them, wouldn't it?

Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, but this seems to be the sort of thing RSS was designed to do.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Pete,

On 11/29/2011 09:16 PM, Peter Meier wrote:
> But the errata could also be made available in additional format than
> only by mail? That would not include to "copy" them, wouldn't it?

The issue is that we cant use / consume info published inside rhn, any
of it. Doing so puts not only us in violation of their AUP and Terms,
but everyone who uses CentOS. Its too big a deal to risk.

Having said that, I think the issue really boils down to :
1) What should be included in a release announcement

2) Can this info be available in a format that is consumable without
need to scrape.

So we really just need to work out (1), doing (2) is now quite easy, the
entire buildsystem uses a json / rest api that can be extended in either
direction ( both into the system and outside the system to user/consumer
stacks ). An example would be getting a callback when a package one
subscribes to gets an update, along with a json object that contains
metadata around the update.

I believe pulp is getting functionality that allows arbitrary content
consumption, so a plugin that could map centos-errata-metadata into a
format pulp can consume would be the way to go. Ideally the spacekwalk
people will stop scraping the mailing lists as well.

Btw, I'm not on the pulp list, so lets trust you to bridge.

- KB

Old 12-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/29/2011 09:29 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, but this seems to be the sort of thing RSS was designed to do.

Rss works for a trigger, so we could feed in a rss document with the
last 500 rpms that were updated. And have an api sort of call that
people can make to retrieve metadata about the updates.

The reason why doing this inside rss is a problem is that there is no
way to tell how much or what point-in-time the client machine is in, and
feeding that info back upto the app, so it can do a diff and feed in the
relevant metadata is going to be super-expensive, a massive text
document and then we end up trying to re-implement a 'yum list updates'
- only it would need to be across every point release.

- KB