Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Default Please, push tzdata update from CR into main 6.0 repo.

Vreme: 11/02/2011 08:16 AM, Alex/AT piše:
> Good day.
>
> The "tzdata-2011h-3.el6.noarch.rpm" needs to be pushed into mainline 6.0
> repo ASAP. The mainline 6.0 repo version of tzdata contains no update
> for latest Russian (and maybe some others, don't know) timezone changes,
> causing major headaches.
>
> I know it's against mainline policy, but here overal stability is an
> issue. Probably it has to be pushed as .centos update variant.
> --

Yes, Russian government did change it's timezone settings regarding
Summer/Spring +/-1h switch. It should not create any other problems.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 11/02/2011 10:45 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Vreme: 11/02/2011 08:16 AM, Alex/AT piše:
>> Good day.
>>
>> The "tzdata-2011h-3.el6.noarch.rpm" needs to be pushed into mainline 6.0
>> repo ASAP. The mainline 6.0 repo version of tzdata contains no update
>> for latest Russian (and maybe some others, don't know) timezone changes,
>> causing major headaches.
>>
>> I know it's against mainline policy, but here overal stability is an
>> issue. Probably it has to be pushed as .centos update variant.
>> --
> Yes, Russian government did change it's timezone settings regarding
> Summer/Spring +/-1h switch. It should not create any other problems.
And whoever needs the updated package should grab it from the /cr/ repo
(or , in simpler words, use the /cr/ repo) .
I really see no reason to change the policy of updates because of this
package.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM
"Yury V. Zaytsev"

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 11:13 +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> I really see no reason to change the policy of updates because of this
> package.

Think of the horrible time management mess in heterogeneous systems
across two continents, where CentOS 6 without CR enabled by default is
combined with CentOS 5 (which has already received this update) and
other distributions.

If it doesn't affect your personal machines, it doesn't mean that it
doesn't affect hundreds of thousands of other servers. Anyway, it's too
late now, by this time most would cherry-pick this update from CR...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/02/2011 10:13 AM, Manuel Wolfshant piše:
> On 11/02/2011 10:45 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 11/02/2011 08:16 AM, Alex/AT piše:
>>> Good day.
>>>
>>> The "tzdata-2011h-3.el6.noarch.rpm" needs to be pushed into mainline 6.0
>>> repo ASAP. The mainline 6.0 repo version of tzdata contains no update
>>> for latest Russian (and maybe some others, don't know) timezone changes,
>>> causing major headaches.
>>>
>>> I know it's against mainline policy, but here overal stability is an
>>> issue. Probably it has to be pushed as .centos update variant.
>>> --
>> Yes, Russian government did change it's timezone settings regarding
>> Summer/Spring +/-1h switch. It should not create any other problems.
> And whoever needs the updated package should grab it from the /cr/ repo
> (or , in simpler words, use the /cr/ repo) .
> I really see no reason to change the policy of updates because of this
> package.

Yeah, I was thinking about upstream clone policy after posting.

Maybe it could find it's way into Extras repo? That should keep it
policy safe and make sure that time zone on systems from other parts of
the world have correct time in Russia.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 11/02/2011 11:19 AM, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 11:13 +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> I really see no reason to change the policy of updates because of this
>> package.
> Think of the horrible time management mess in heterogeneous systems
> across two continents, where CentOS 6 without CR enabled by default is
> combined with CentOS 5 (which has already received this update) and
> other distributions.
>
> If it doesn't affect your personal machines,
Given the figures that you have mentioned, I suspect that my "personal"
machines are in the same order of magnitude as yours. And they also span
several continents.
And we have a clear policy regarding updates. Including pushing
"emergency fixes" to those that need it.But our policy does not mandate
changes in the distro policy, it gets adapted according to it.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 AM
"Alexey Asemov (Alex/AT)"

R P Herrold <herrold@centos.org> писал(а) в своём письме Wed, 02 Nov 2011
21:37:15 +0400:

> ... this particular package is usually a trivial package to
> rebuild -- BUT THE Java related one is NOT. Local authorities
> dont plan ahead, and fixing the matter is already documented
> in the wiki with the 'rebuilding SRPMs' article

Yes, it's not only tzdata that requires attention. At least PHP and Java
packages are urging for some care as well.
But the tzdata is the package with most impact, it may be pushed into
extras, as said before.

Alexey Asemov (Alex/AT)