-   -   moving the CR repo into mainstream release (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/593454-moving-cr-repo-into-mainstream-release.html)

Ferry Huberts 11-01-2011 01:40 PM

On 11/01/2011 03:15 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> We are still in the early days of CentOS-6, and perhaps a change in
> policy at this time might be acceptable. I'd like to propose moving the
> CR repo into the mainline repos. So the change I'm proposing is :
>
> - to have a /6/ release that is always updated.

I would welcome this very much, it makes my mirroring setup much easier
in that I don't have to update it every time a 6.x release comes out
(since I'm only interested in mirroring the latest release ofcourse)

--
Ferry Huberts

Karanbir Singh 11-01-2011 01:48 PM

On 11/01/2011 02:40 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> I would welcome this very much, it makes my mirroring setup much easier
> in that I don't have to update it every time a 6.x release comes out
> (since I'm only interested in mirroring the latest release ofcourse)

It is actually going to add a lot of complexity to the mirroring setup.
There will no longer be consistent point release tree's, and the /6/
target will keep changing, all the time. So you will need to carry on
mirroring the entire centos/6/ tree anyway

the exact mechanics of how we implement this would still need to be
worked out.

- KB

christoph 11-01-2011 01:49 PM

moving the CR repo into mainstream release

> hi guys,
>

> We are still in the early days of CentOS-6, and perhaps a change in
> policy at this time might be acceptable. I'd like to propose moving the
> CR repo into the mainline repos. So the change I'm proposing is :
>
> - to have a /6/ release that is always updated.
>
> - to have the /6.X/ releases that are contained to within that point release
>
> what this means is that /6/ will point at the most recent release of
> 6.X/ for the os/& isos/ repo. The other repos would be local to the /6/
> symlink, and will be always updated ( and stay that way ).
>
> there is going to be quite a lot of implications backend / mirror side
> that we will need to work out, but its effort + pain as a one off, for
> what can be a major improvement in the user experience.
>
> thoughts ?
>
> - KB

Hello

I agree. The CR-Repo is very much appreciated and - imho - should have a place in the mainline repo.
This might also take some load off of the mirrors during point release time (as most packages from /os
are already updated via /cr - for those who use it. Did I get that one right?)
Changing my mirrorlayout should be no problem.

+1

all the best
Christoph

Ferry Huberts 11-01-2011 01:53 PM

On 11/01/2011 03:48 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/01/2011 02:40 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>>
>> I would welcome this very much, it makes my mirroring setup much easier
>> in that I don't have to update it every time a 6.x release comes out
>> (since I'm only interested in mirroring the latest release ofcourse)
>>

> It is actually going to add a lot of complexity to the mirroring setup.
> There will no longer be consistent point release tree's, and the /6/
> target will keep changing, all the time. So you will need to carry on
> mirroring the entire centos/6/ tree anyway
>
> the exact mechanics of how we implement this would still need to be
> worked out.

ok thanks.

(my mirror is just a rsync with a local ISP's mirror)

--
Ferry Huberts

Karanbir Singh 11-01-2011 01:55 PM

On 11/01/2011 02:53 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>> the exact mechanics of how we implement this would still need to be
>> worked out.
> (my mirror is just a rsync with a local ISP's mirror)

In which case you should be ok to retain the existing targets etc, you
will just need a bit more space to mirror into, quite a bit more space.

- KB

Karanbir Singh 11-01-2011 01:56 PM

moving the CR repo into mainstream release

On 11/01/2011 02:49 PM, christoph wrote
> I agree. The CR-Repo is very much appreciated and - imho - should have a place in the mainline repo.
> This might also take some load off of the mirrors during point release time (as most packages from /os
> are already updated via /cr - for those who use it. Did I get that one right?)
> Changing my mirrorlayout should be no problem.

that does imply that we get hardlinking right, and people are running
rsync with -H

- KB

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 11-01-2011 01:56 PM

moving the CR repo into mainstream release

It looks like there is need in little clarification / saying it more clear

Vreme: 11/01/2011 03:15 PM, Karanbir Singh piše:
> hi guys,
>
> We are still in the early days of CentOS-6, and perhaps a change in
> policy at this time might be acceptable. I'd like to propose moving the
> CR repo into the mainline repos. So the change I'm proposing is :
>
> - to have a /6/ release that is always updated.

Does this means CR packages would go into updates repo? I use ISO = os
repo, + updates repo, for mirroring.

> - to have the /6.X/ releases that are contained to within that point release

So in 6.1 would go all CR packages and further updates until 6.2 packages?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Christoph Galuschka 11-01-2011 02:04 PM

moving the CR repo into mainstream release

> On 11/01/2011 02:49 PM, christoph wrote
>>/ I agree. The CR-Repo is very much appreciated and - imho - should have a place in the mainline repo.
/>>/ This might also take some load off of the mirrors during point release time (as most packages from /os
/>>/ are already updated via /cr - for those who use it. Did I get that one right?)
/>>/ Changing my mirrorlayout should be no problem.
/>
> that does imply that we get hardlinking right, and people are running
> rsync with -H
>
> - KB
-H is used, thanks to http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalMirror
I assume, /cr will be emptied resp. moved to /updates once the point release is done?

cheers
Christoph

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 11-01-2011 02:16 PM

Vreme: 11/01/2011 04:04 PM, Christoph Galuschka piše:
>> On 11/01/2011 02:49 PM, christoph wrote
>>> / I agree. The CR-Repo is very much appreciated and - imho - should have a place in the mainline repo.
> />>/ This might also take some load off of the mirrors during point release time (as most packages from /os
> />>/ are already updated via /cr - for those who use it. Did I get that one right?)
> />>/ Changing my mirrorlayout should be no problem.
> />
>> that does imply that we get hardlinking right, and people are running
>> rsync with -H
>>
>> - KB
> -H is used, thanks to http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalMirror
> I assume, /cr will be emptied resp. moved to /updates once the point release is done?

Can you please properly reply to posts? I receive them as separate
threads and it is hard to follow.

Thanks

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Digimer 11-01-2011 02:47 PM

On 11/01/2011 10:48 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/01/2011 02:40 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>>
>> I would welcome this very much, it makes my mirroring setup much easier
>> in that I don't have to update it every time a 6.x release comes out
>> (since I'm only interested in mirroring the latest release ofcourse)
>>

> It is actually going to add a lot of complexity to the mirroring setup.
> There will no longer be consistent point release tree's, and the /6/
> target will keep changing, all the time. So you will need to carry on
> mirroring the entire centos/6/ tree anyway
>
> the exact mechanics of how we implement this would still need to be
> worked out.
>
> - KB

Personally, I'd prefer to keep CR separate and have the main releases as
they've been.

The idea behind CentOS is that it is super stable and matches upstream.
I worry that merging CR will hurt the stability. I've enabled CR on some
test nodes and started seeing issues, minor though they may be.

So +1 to keeping the status quo. :)

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com