-   -   Testers needed: nx (upgrade to the 3.5.0 series) and freenx (SELinux fix) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/591201-testers-needed-nx-upgrade-3-5-0-series-freenx-selinux-fix.html)

Akemi Yagi 10-25-2011 04:22 PM

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> I did test these, works with selinux fix. It turned to out be a case of
> virt-install new VM on a remote machine; yum install nx and freenx on
> this remote machine; install the nx client from nomachine.com - setup it
> to use GNOME desktop, paste in the client.id_dsa.key and connect.
>
> I did haveto yum groupinstall Desktop and X Window System to get the
> remote GUI to come up. And then I had to install a bunch of fonts to
> make things look right ( http://www.karan.org/stuff/Screenshot-5.png was
> what I got without the fonts )

Thanks for testing.

I forgot to mention that the selinux fix was needed only for CentOS-6.
CentOS-5 did not need any adjustment.

What to include as 'Requires' can be tricky. NX needs a desktop for
sure but it can be gnome or KDE or even something else. So far, it's
up to the user to make sure X and a desktop are available when using
NX.

Akemi

Johnny Hughes 10-25-2011 05:13 PM

On 10/25/2011 11:22 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>
>> I did test these, works with selinux fix. It turned to out be a case of
>> virt-install new VM on a remote machine; yum install nx and freenx on
>> this remote machine; install the nx client from nomachine.com - setup it
>> to use GNOME desktop, paste in the client.id_dsa.key and connect.
>>
>> I did haveto yum groupinstall Desktop and X Window System to get the
>> remote GUI to come up. And then I had to install a bunch of fonts to
>> make things look right ( http://www.karan.org/stuff/Screenshot-5.png was
>> what I got without the fonts )
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
> I forgot to mention that the selinux fix was needed only for CentOS-6.
> CentOS-5 did not need any adjustment.
>
> What to include as 'Requires' can be tricky. NX needs a desktop for
> sure but it can be gnome or KDE or even something else. So far, it's
> up to the user to make sure X and a desktop are available when using
> NX.

I concur with this ... obviously one has many options for an X desktop
(gnome, KDE, XFCE, twm, etc.).

Because there is no "package" or "group" that is a generic "GUI Window
Manager" (although, there could be one added that each of the windows
managers provide ... that would be an upstream decision), the only
requires that NX should have, IMHO, is things that make it work with any
Window Manager. It assumes that you have a working GUI and a working X
and you want to share that desktop it. Otherwise we get people who want
to use NX with XFCE or KDE that also need a bunch of gnome packages for
the requirements (if we picked metacity as the WM).

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 10-25-2011 07:17 PM

Vreme: 10/25/2011 07:13 PM, Johnny Hughes piše:
> Because there is no "package" or "group" that is a generic "GUI Window
> Manager" (although, there could be one added that each of the windows
> managers provide ... that would be an upstream decision), the only
> requires that NX should have, IMHO, is things that make it work with any
> Window Manager. It assumes that you have a working GUI and a working X
> and you want to share that desktop it. Otherwise we get people who want
> to use NX with XFCE or KDE that also need a bunch of gnome packages for
> the requirements (if we picked metacity as the WM).

How about creating several virtual packages for each case?

I am also considering the use/recompilation of autoplus and easylife
packages from Fedora as install helpers.

(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

trusty Spiderman...

Farkas Levente 10-25-2011 07:24 PM

On 10/25/2011 06:22 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>
>> I did test these, works with selinux fix. It turned to out be a case of
>> virt-install new VM on a remote machine; yum install nx and freenx on
>> this remote machine; install the nx client from nomachine.com - setup it
>> to use GNOME desktop, paste in the client.id_dsa.key and connect.
>>
>> I did haveto yum groupinstall Desktop and X Window System to get the
>> remote GUI to come up. And then I had to install a bunch of fonts to
>> make things look right ( http://www.karan.org/stuff/Screenshot-5.png was
>> what I got without the fonts )
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
> I forgot to mention that the selinux fix was needed only for CentOS-6.
> CentOS-5 did not need any adjustment.
>
> What to include as 'Requires' can be tricky. NX needs a desktop for
> sure but it can be gnome or KDE or even something else. So far, it's
> up to the user to make sure X and a desktop are available when using
> NX.

unfortunately there is no RequiresGroup in rpm:-(
even it'd be useful for me too:-)

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

Johnny Hughes 10-25-2011 07:38 PM

On 10/25/2011 02:17 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Vreme: 10/25/2011 07:13 PM, Johnny Hughes piše:
>> Because there is no "package" or "group" that is a generic "GUI Window
>> Manager" (although, there could be one added that each of the windows
>> managers provide ... that would be an upstream decision), the only
>> requires that NX should have, IMHO, is things that make it work with any
>> Window Manager. It assumes that you have a working GUI and a working X
>> and you want to share that desktop it. Otherwise we get people who want
>> to use NX with XFCE or KDE that also need a bunch of gnome packages for
>> the requirements (if we picked metacity as the WM).
>>

> How about creating several virtual packages for each case?
>
> I am also considering the use/recompilation of autoplus and easylife
> packages from Fedora as install helpers.

There are already group installs for XFCE or Gnome or KDE ... one only
needs to pick one of those, along with the "X Windows" group.

What I see as the fix for this is to have all the applicable packages
"Provides: WindowManger" (the applicable package from xcfe, kde, and
gnome, for example). But this would need to be done upstream.

Since we already have groups for each of the big 3 "Desktops" ... I
don't see the need to do anything else.

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 10-25-2011 07:50 PM

Vreme: 10/25/2011 09:38 PM, Johnny Hughes piše:
> What I see as the fix for this is to have all the applicable packages
> "Provides: WindowManger" (the applicable package from xcfe, kde, and
> gnome, for example). But this would need to be done upstream.

Doesn't *have* to be upstream since it is virtual package, helper.
Extras repo could provide them.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 10-25-2011 07:59 PM

Vreme: 10/25/2011 09:24 PM, Farkas Levente piše:
>> What to include as 'Requires' can be tricky. NX needs a desktop for
>> sure but it can be gnome or KDE or even something else. So far, it's
>> up to the user to make sure X and a desktop are available when using
>> NX.
>
> unfortunately there is no RequiresGroup in rpm:-(
> even it'd be useful for me too:-)

Since Groups can have diverse packages even on the systems with same
base, RHEL 6.x multiple versions are fine example, there never can be
"RequiresGroup". What would be nice to see would be "Recomended:", or
"Optional:" instead of "Requires:", so you can install additional
packages, but they would not be removed if you remove main package.

Is "dirty solution" where rpm package would use post-install script to
run yum command (or set "due to be installed") to install all optional
packages (if user agrees)?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Akemi Yagi 11-03-2011 06:54 PM

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> What I see as the fix for this is to have all the applicable packages
> "Provides: *WindowManger" (the applicable package from xcfe, kde, and
> gnome, for example). *But this would need to be done upstream.
>
> Since we already have groups for each of the big 3 "Desktops" ... I
> don't see the need to do anything else.

Johnny,

You have already published nx/freenx for CentOS-5. Now, there does not
seem to be any known problem with CentOS-6. Can we have this version
released for CentOS-6 as well?

If/when enhancement is needed, that can be included in an update to
the packages (for both c5 and c6) later on.

Akemi

Akemi Yagi 11-22-2011 05:20 PM

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we have this version
> released for CentOS-6 as well?

Bump.

I see more and more people trying to find NX for CentOS-6. Then others
respond by recommending the stuff from ATrpms (bad, because it is
obsolete and not maintained) or from PUIAS (seems good).

I think CentOS should offer NX but if this is going to be not so easy,
the PUIAS repo is not a bad choice for users who want it now (and for
the future as well?).

Akemi

Johnny Hughes 11-22-2011 08:05 PM

On 11/22/2011 12:20 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can we have this version
>> released for CentOS-6 as well?
>
> Bump.
>
> I see more and more people trying to find NX for CentOS-6. Then others
> respond by recommending the stuff from ATrpms (bad, because it is
> obsolete and not maintained) or from PUIAS (seems good).
>
> I think CentOS should offer NX but if this is going to be not so easy,
> the PUIAS repo is not a bad choice for users who want it now (and for
> the future as well?).

lets get 6.1 out and I will get it in the extras repo then