Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Karanbir Singh

Default signing drpms

hi

I've noticed that no one seems to be signing drpms. Is there a reason
for that ? or is it just down to inconvenient ( its a bit messy needing
to get drpms into secure-box type environments ), and of academic
interest ( in that the re-assembled rpm will be signed, and need to go
through a verify process ).

- KB

Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Jeff Johnson

On Sep 27, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> hi
>
> I've noticed that no one seems to be signing drpms. Is there a reason
> for that ? or is it just down to inconvenient ( its a bit messy needing
> to get drpms into secure-box type environments ), and of academic
> interest ( in that the re-assembled rpm will be signed, and need to go
> through a verify process ).

drpms are a binary patch to *.rpm … after application the patched end result
*.rpm has digests and (if present in the original) a signature.

You will have to look at yum to detect how/where/if that signature is verified
after drpm patching.

Additional signatures for drpm patches could be done. yes very messy
and overly complex as a distribution means. rsync of *.rpm instead of drpm
is perhaps sounder/saner/simpler approach to distributing software. drpms
are focussed on minimum bandwidth usage as highest priority.

73 de Jeff