Old 09-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Ben Galliart

Default CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Following the strong recommendation on the CentOS-announce mailing list, we had added the centos-release-cr package to our kickstart for PXE based installs. Since the release of 5.7, this kickstart fails since the centos-release-cr package can no longer be found.

Given that there is a 5.7/cr directory, it appears the plans include having CR being an on-going convention rather than a on-time thing just for 5.7. If I understand this correctly that CR will be used again once upstream releases 5.8, then I would like to be able to leave centos-release-cr as part of my kickstart so it is already configured for the next batch of CR updates.

Is it possible to add centos-release-cr to the 5.7/cr sometime soon?

Also, on a somewhat related issue, is there a reason why this is not an single noarch package?

Thanks

Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Marcus Moeller

Am 15.09.2011 03:13, schrieb Ben Galliart:
> Following the strong recommendation on the CentOS-announce mailing list, we had added the centos-release-cr package to our kickstart for PXE based installs. Since the release of 5.7, this kickstart fails since the centos-release-cr package can no longer be found.
>
> Given that there is a 5.7/cr directory, it appears the plans include having CR being an on-going convention rather than a on-time thing just for 5.7. If I understand this correctly that CR will be used again once upstream releases 5.8, then I would like to be able to leave centos-release-cr as part of my kickstart so it is already configured for the next batch of CR updates.
>
> Is it possible to add centos-release-cr to the 5.7/cr sometime soon?

The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
right, Karan )

So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
default.

Greets
Marcus

Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Gianluca Cecchi

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:

> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
> right, Karan )
>
> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
> default.

Based on this, I would expect an update from a 5.6 cr enabled server
to 5.7 to remove/disable it.
Instead I see both the rpm installed and repository still enabled...
Do I have to manually operate in some way?

Gianluca

Old 09-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Leon Fauster

Am 15.09.2011 um 11:34 schrieb Marcus Moeller:
> Am 15.09.2011 03:13, schrieb Ben Galliart:
>> Following the strong recommendation on the CentOS-announce mailing list, we had added the centos-release-cr package to our kickstart for PXE based installs. Since the release of 5.7, this kickstart fails since the centos-release-cr package can no longer be found.
>>
>> Given that there is a 5.7/cr directory, it appears the plans include having CR being an on-going convention rather than a on-time thing just for 5.7. If I understand this correctly that CR will be used again once upstream releases 5.8, then I would like to be able to leave centos-release-cr as part of my kickstart so it is already configured for the next batch of CR updates.
>>
>> Is it possible to add centos-release-cr to the 5.7/cr sometime soon?
>
> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
> right, Karan )
>
> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
> default.

Well, why not - if i'm doing an installation
while the distribution is in transition phase?

The mentioned "remove" is done by the changing
symlink (eg. 5 -> 5.6 changed to 5 -> 5.7).

By doing this, the cr repo target is then changed
automagically to the new cr directory (yum/cr-repo-file
looks only for $releasever).

If so - a generic centos-release-cr-5.el5.centos rpm
would do the work (what it does already).

--
LF

By the way - the cr rpm is arch specific but that is not
necessary because the distinguishing $basearch entry.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 09/15/2011 12:34 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Am 15.09.2011 03:13, schrieb Ben Galliart:
>> Following the strong recommendation on the CentOS-announce mailing list, we had added the centos-release-cr package to our kickstart for PXE based installs. Since the release of 5.7, this kickstart fails since the centos-release-cr package can no longer be found.
>>
>> Given that there is a 5.7/cr directory, it appears the plans include having CR being an on-going convention rather than a on-time thing just for 5.7. If I understand this correctly that CR will be used again once upstream releases 5.8, then I would like to be able to leave centos-release-cr as part of my kickstart so it is already configured for the next batch of CR updates.
>>
>> Is it possible to add centos-release-cr to the 5.7/cr sometime soon?
> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
> right, Karan )
This was the first approach but it was changed. The implemented approach
is for /cr to remain in place, the repository links from the repo
definition will point to the new URL automatically. However the
repository will be populated only during the transition phase of a new
minor release ( i.e for instance after RHEL 5.8 is out but before CentOS
5.8 is released ).

> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
> default.
that is true. It is useful only during the transitional phase between
RHEL's launch of a new dot release and CentOS catching up.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Xavier Bachelot

On 09/15/2011 12:18 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 12:34 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
>> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
>> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
>> right, Karan )
> This was the first approach but it was changed. The implemented approach
> is for /cr to remain in place, the repository links from the repo
> definition will point to the new URL automatically. However the
> repository will be populated only during the transition phase of a new
> minor release ( i.e for instance after RHEL 5.8 is out but before CentOS
> 5.8 is released ).
>
>> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
>> default.
> that is true. It is useful only during the transitional phase between
> RHEL's launch of a new dot release and CentOS catching up.

What's wrong with always having the CR repo installed and enabled ? It
might be empty outside of transition periods, but this shouldn't hurt,
right ? My understanding is there is no QA difference between a package
pushed to the updates or one pushed to the cr repo, thus base + updates
+ cr repos should stack up nicely.

Regards,
Xavier

Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 09/15/2011 01:34 PM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 12:18 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> On 09/15/2011 12:34 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>>> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
>>> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
>>> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
>>> right, Karan )
>> This was the first approach but it was changed. The implemented approach
>> is for /cr to remain in place, the repository links from the repo
>> definition will point to the new URL automatically. However the
>> repository will be populated only during the transition phase of a new
>> minor release ( i.e for instance after RHEL 5.8 is out but before CentOS
>> 5.8 is released ).
>>
>>> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
>>> default.
>> that is true. It is useful only during the transitional phase between
>> RHEL's launch of a new dot release and CentOS catching up.
> What's wrong with always having the CR repo installed and enabled ? It
> might be empty outside of transition periods, but this shouldn't hurt,
> right ?
right. the reported issue here is that they are trying to import the
centos-cr package via the kickstart and there is no such package yet in
CentOS 5.7

> My understanding is there is no QA difference between a package
> pushed to the updates or one pushed to the cr repo, thus base + updates
> + cr repos should stack up nicely.
that is correct. Actually the process is quite simple, packages are
first pushed to the CentOS X.n/cr/ and then hardlinked to the Centos
X.n+1/os ( or /updates, depending on the origin)

Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Gianluca Cecchi

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:

>> * My understanding is there is no QA difference between a package
>> pushed to the updates or one pushed to the cr repo, thus base + updates
>> + cr repos should stack up nicely.
> that is correct. Actually the process is quite simple, packages are
> first pushed to the CentOS X.n/cr/ *and then hardlinked to the Centos
> X.n+1/os ( or /updates, depending on the origin)

One could download the 5.6 cr package
centos-release-cr-5-6.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
and put it inside a local server from where to get and install during
kickstart post section.
But I think that it would work during installation of a 5.6 system,
but not work during an installation of a 5.7 system, as the command
"rpm -qR centos-release-cr" says:

centos-release = 5-6.el5.centos.1
config(centos-release-cr) = 10:5-6.el5.centos.1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1

Correct?

Could it be made a general package in the name (centos-release-cr) and contain
centos-release >= 5-6.el5.centos.1
?
Don't know about
config(centos-release-cr) = 10:5-6.el5.centos.1
requirement meaning though...

Gianluca

Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Xavier Bachelot

On 09/15/2011 12:51 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 01:34 PM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>>> This was the first approach but it was changed. The implemented approach
>>> is for /cr to remain in place, the repository links from the repo
>>> definition will point to the new URL automatically. However the
>>> repository will be populated only during the transition phase of a new
>>> minor release ( i.e for instance after RHEL 5.8 is out but before CentOS
>>> 5.8 is released ).

>>> that is true. It is useful only during the transitional phase between
>>> RHEL's launch of a new dot release and CentOS catching up.
>> What's wrong with always having the CR repo installed and enabled ? It
>> might be empty outside of transition periods, but this shouldn't hurt,
>> right ?
> right. the reported issue here is that they are trying to import the
> centos-cr package via the kickstart and there is no such package yet in
> CentOS 5.7

Great, so this should be easily fixable once we've reached a consensus
this package is needed even for otherwise empty centos/x.y/cr.
Count me as +1 for this.

As a workaround for the possibly missing package in the kickstart, one
can still add the '--ignoremissing' option to the %package directive.

>> My understanding is there is no QA difference between a package
>> pushed to the updates or one pushed to the cr repo, thus base + updates
>> + cr repos should stack up nicely.
> that is correct. Actually the process is quite simple, packages are
> first pushed to the CentOS X.n/cr/ and then hardlinked to the Centos
> X.n+1/os ( or /updates, depending on the origin)

Thanks for your answer.

Regards,
Xavier

Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Ben Galliart

>From Marcus Moeller:
> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
> right, Karan )
>
> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
> default.

If CR is the recommended way to get security fixes during transition periods, then I would prefer to have systems opt-in ahead of time during the installs instead of at the last minute.

It seems odd to "strongly recommend everyone using CentOS-5 install and update their system using this repository" but then say it shouldn't be part of a kickstart. Is it recommended to install using the repo or not?

It also discourages use of the CR repo if the official method of using the repo only is provided when the distribution version is in transition. Most users are expecting the output of "yum update" to reflect if there is additional updates available for their system. It seems like users are now expected to also manually track the CentOS twitter page for additional instructions or availability of a repo release RPM. If that is the case, then to avoid confusion when yum normally would show no updates available, maybe yum should be modified to also provide details from Twitter as to what additional update steps are available and when.