Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Les Mikesell

Default CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Tom Sorensen <tsorensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which is exactly what we have now.
>
> yum install centos-release-cr
>
> Done. And now it's enabled.

Assuming you read this mail list daily, and didn't try it during the
time the rpm didn't exist there. That should cover maybe 2% of the
centos base out there...

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Xavier Bachelot

On 09/28/2011 03:13 PM, Tom Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Kevin Stange<kevin@steadfast.net> wrote:
>> On 09/28/2011 04:32 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>> If it's not on by default, it should be an RPM package in a repo enabled
>> by default or a magic "cr enable utility" needs to be on the system by
>> default. If it defaults to on, then it should be in centos-release.
>
> Which is exactly what we have now.
>
> yum install centos-release-cr
>
> Done. And now it's enabled.

Providing you have the extras repo enabled, which is currently the
default but could be discussed in the light of staying as close as
possible to upstream and which provides 3rd party packages not coming
from upstream and conflicting with others 3rd party repositories. I
don't see how enabling a repository providing non-upstream packages
helps if you want only the updates from upstream and not anything else.

If using the CR repo is now the preferred way to get _all_ upstream
updates, then it should be enabled by default and come from the same rpm
that enables the updates repo, that is in the centos-release package.

So to summarize my use case, I want all upstream updates, including the
ones from the cr repo, but I don't want the extras repo. Having the rpm
providing the cr repo definition in the extras repo doesn't work for me.
But indeed, I know ways around this...

Regards,
Xavier