Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Xavier Bachelot

Default CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

On 09/23/2011 10:25 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 08:16 PM, Ben Galliart wrote:
>> On 09/17/2011, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>>> Now back to the question on hand, centos-release-cr in 5.7..
>>
>>> Perhaps the best place for the centos-release-cr is in the updates/
>>> repo, rather than the /cr/ repo, since that way it would further reduce
>>> the barrier for people to opt-in, a simple 'yum install
>>> centos-releae-cr' would get them on the track, and keep them there till
>>> such time as they want to opt-out.
>>
>> Is there any ETA as to when this could be done or at least decided on?
>
> There is no need to upgrade anything. If you installed the package, you
> are on CR ... then and now.
>
> The CentOS-CR repo points to /5/cr/ (which is 5.7 now and was 5.6 when
> the repo file was released).
>
> It (/cr/) is currently empty because 5.7/os and 5.7/updates contain all
> the RPMS that are required to update from 5.6 (or any other version of
> CentOS).
>
> When 5.8 is released, the RPMs that are part of 5.8 will get put into
> the /5.7/cr/ and allow people who are opted in to get the updates before
> the 5.8 release.
>
> I think maybe putting the RPM in "extras", so it is easier to install is
> doable ... but not a huge issue.
>
> In fact, I have put it there. centos-release-cr is now in extras.

What's the reasoning for putting centos-release-cr in the extras repo ?
Imho, the package would fit better in either the updates or cr
repositories (with a preference for the later), because these 2 repos
allows to get upstream updates and only that, while extras carries a lot
of packages not coming from upstream. Providing a repository yum
configuration from within said repository is quite usual for other repos
and it looks strange to have to use one repo to get the conf for another.

The use case is to kickstart an install with base + updates + cr in
order to have a fully updated and updatable system with only packages
from upstream. Adding extras to the mix to be able to pull just the
centos-release-cr package makes the use of other 3rd party repositories
more difficult, as extras and 3rd party repo can and do provide
overlapping packages. This is true for epel, I guess this is true for
others 3rd party repos. Indeed, this can be worked around, but this adds
some complexity.

Regards,
Xavier

Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Време: 09/28/2011 10:31 AM, Xavier Bachelot пише:
> On 09/23/2011 10:25 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> Is there any ETA as to when this could be done or at least decided on?
>>
>> There is no need to upgrade anything. If you installed the package, you
>> are on CR ... then and now.
>>
>> The CentOS-CR repo points to /5/cr/ (which is 5.7 now and was 5.6 when
>> the repo file was released).
>>
>> It (/cr/) is currently empty because 5.7/os and 5.7/updates contain all
>> the RPMS that are required to update from 5.6 (or any other version of
>> CentOS).
>>
>> When 5.8 is released, the RPMs that are part of 5.8 will get put into
>> the /5.7/cr/ and allow people who are opted in to get the updates before
>> the 5.8 release.
>>
>> I think maybe putting the RPM in "extras", so it is easier to install is
>> doable ... but not a huge issue.
>>
>> In fact, I have put it there. centos-release-cr is now in extras.
>>
> What's the reasoning for putting centos-release-cr in the extras repo ?
> Imho, the package would fit better in either the updates or cr
> repositories (with a preference for the later), because these 2 repos
> allows to get upstream updates and only that, while extras carries a lot
> of packages not coming from upstream. Providing a repository yum
> configuration from within said repository is quite usual for other repos
> and it looks strange to have to use one repo to get the conf for another.

Base repos must reflect what upstream is publishing. Thus, any extra
packages must go elswhere.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 09/28/2011 03:31 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> On 09/23/2011 10:25 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> Is there any ETA as to when this could be done or at least decided on?
>>
>> There is no need to upgrade anything. If you installed the package, you
>> are on CR ... then and now.
>>
>> The CentOS-CR repo points to /5/cr/ (which is 5.7 now and was 5.6 when
>> the repo file was released).
>>
>> It (/cr/) is currently empty because 5.7/os and 5.7/updates contain all
>> the RPMS that are required to update from 5.6 (or any other version of
>> CentOS).
>>
>> When 5.8 is released, the RPMs that are part of 5.8 will get put into
>> the /5.7/cr/ and allow people who are opted in to get the updates before
>> the 5.8 release.
>>
>> I think maybe putting the RPM in "extras", so it is easier to install is
>> doable ... but not a huge issue.
>>
>> In fact, I have put it there. centos-release-cr is now in extras.
>>
> What's the reasoning for putting centos-release-cr in the extras repo ?
> Imho, the package would fit better in either the updates or cr
> repositories (with a preference for the later), because these 2 repos
> allows to get upstream updates and only that, while extras carries a lot
> of packages not coming from upstream. Providing a repository yum
> configuration from within said repository is quite usual for other repos
> and it looks strange to have to use one repo to get the conf for another.
>
> The use case is to kickstart an install with base + updates + cr in
> order to have a fully updated and updatable system with only packages
> from upstream. Adding extras to the mix to be able to pull just the
> centos-release-cr package makes the use of other 3rd party repositories
> more difficult, as extras and 3rd party repo can and do provide
> overlapping packages. This is true for epel, I guess this is true for
> others 3rd party repos. Indeed, this can be worked around, but this adds
> some complexity.

It is not in the CR repo, because it's purpose is to enable the CR repo.
If you have to manually download it and install it (instead of using
yum) to enable the repo, then it kind of defeats the purpose for it to
be an RPM in the first place. We could just provide the .repo file and
say to put it in /etc/yum.repos.d/

It is not in updates because updates is just that ... updates to the
packages already in base. Updates is not the place for "Extra" packages
that we need to distribute which are not in the upstream RPMS. That is
what extras is for...

Extras, on the other hand, is exactly for this kind of package. It is a
package, provided by CentOS, that is not upstream ... and is not
replacing a package written by upstream. Extras is also enabled by
default, so all that is required is to run:

yum install centos-release-cr

To get it installed and enabled. Once installed, it is enabled and it
works from that point on.

My personal opinion is that an RPM is not even necessary for this repo
... and that all we should do is put a repo file in the repository
itself and tell people do download it ... but if we are going to have an
RPM for it, then that RPM should be hosted in the Extras repository.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Xavier Bachelot

On 09/28/2011 10:39 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Време: 09/28/2011 10:31 AM, Xavier Bachelot пише:

>>> There is no need to upgrade anything. If you installed the package, you
>>> are on CR ... then and now.
>>>
>>> The CentOS-CR repo points to /5/cr/ (which is 5.7 now and was 5.6 when
>>> the repo file was released).
>>>
>>> It (/cr/) is currently empty because 5.7/os and 5.7/updates contain all
>>> the RPMS that are required to update from 5.6 (or any other version of
>>> CentOS).
>>>
>>> When 5.8 is released, the RPMs that are part of 5.8 will get put into
>>> the /5.7/cr/ and allow people who are opted in to get the updates before
>>> the 5.8 release.
>>>
>>> I think maybe putting the RPM in "extras", so it is easier to install is
>>> doable ... but not a huge issue.
>>>
>>> In fact, I have put it there. centos-release-cr is now in extras.
>>>
>> What's the reasoning for putting centos-release-cr in the extras repo ?
>> Imho, the package would fit better in either the updates or cr
>> repositories (with a preference for the later), because these 2 repos
>> allows to get upstream updates and only that, while extras carries a lot
>> of packages not coming from upstream. Providing a repository yum
>> configuration from within said repository is quite usual for other repos
>> and it looks strange to have to use one repo to get the conf for another.
>>

> Base repos must reflect what upstream is publishing. Thus, any extra
> packages must go elswhere.

This package is special, as it provides only yum confs and no binaries
or anything else, and is needed to actually get the updates upstream is
publishing. To be a bit bold, this is not different than the
centos-release package, which is not in extras either.
Actually, the cr repo definition could just be added to the
centos-release package, possibly disabled by default.

Regards,
Xavier

Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Xavier Bachelot

On 09/28/2011 11:07 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> My personal opinion is that an RPM is not even necessary for this repo
> ... and that all we should do is put a repo file in the repository
> itself and tell people do download it ... but if we are going to have an
> RPM for it, then that RPM should be hosted in the Extras repository.

Why not put the cr repo definition in the centos-release then ? Either
enabled or disabled.

Regards,
Xavier

Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Kevin Stange

On 09/28/2011 04:07 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> [...]
> packages already in base. Updates is not the place for "Extra" packages
> that we need to distribute which are not in the upstream RPMS. That is
> what extras is for...
>
> Extras, on the other hand, is exactly for this kind of package. It is a
> package, provided by CentOS, that is not upstream ... and is not
> replacing a package written by upstream. Extras is also enabled by
> default, so all that is required is to run:
>
> yum install centos-release-cr
>
> To get it installed and enabled. Once installed, it is enabled and it
> works from that point on.
>
> My personal opinion is that an RPM is not even necessary for this repo
> ... and that all we should do is put a repo file in the repository
> itself and tell people do download it ... but if we are going to have an
> RPM for it, then that RPM should be hosted in the Extras repository.

What is the reason for this mentality? KB specifically and strongly
recommended using CR between 5.6 and 5.7 because that entire time users
are without kernel and other security updates, some of which may be
exploitable easily. Yet you suggest that rather than making it simple
to add the CR repo to an existing installation with a single "yum"
command and easily include the repo into a kickstart without having
write a post-install script, to make sure that users must do all the
work of a) discovering that CR exists in the first place and b) manually
downloading a file and then putting it in the correct place.

I think CR is extremely important unless CentOS will make a commitment
to turn around all new upstream releases within 2 weeks, which recently
has not happened. CR needs to be widely publicized, easy to install,
and easy to opt-in early and permanently to avoid leaving so many
unpatched servers in the wild.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer

Phone: 312-602-2689 x203
Fax: 312-602-2688

Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Kevin Stange

On 09/28/2011 04:09 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 10:39 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Време: 09/28/2011 10:31 AM, Xavier Bachelot пише:

>>> What's the reasoning for putting centos-release-cr in the extras repo ?
>>> Imho, the package would fit better in either the updates or cr
>>> repositories (with a preference for the later), because these 2 repos
>>> allows to get upstream updates and only that, while extras carries a lot
>>> of packages not coming from upstream. Providing a repository yum
>>> configuration from within said repository is quite usual for other repos
>>> and it looks strange to have to use one repo to get the conf for another.
>>>

>> Base repos must reflect what upstream is publishing. Thus, any extra
>> packages must go elswhere.
>>
> This package is special, as it provides only yum confs and no binaries
> or anything else, and is needed to actually get the updates upstream is
> publishing. To be a bit bold, this is not different than the
> centos-release package, which is not in extras either.
> Actually, the cr repo definition could just be added to the
> centos-release package, possibly disabled by default.

No, no, no, why do we want to sabotage CR? Why does everyone hate it so
much?

If it's going to be in the base release file and disabled by default,
now we make it even harder, instead of (easy) "yum install" or (less
easy) wget into proper place, now you're saying users are going to need
to edit files or use "yum --enablerepo" to get updates.

This is an important repo with security patches that could otherwise be
months delayed. This should not be something hidden from users.

I still think it should be opt-out, but I can accept that it is not in
the mission to break individual release compatibility with upstream by
default. Let's NOT intentionally make it harder to install this,
please, please.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer

Phone: 312-602-2689 x203
Fax: 312-602-2688

Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Xavier Bachelot

On 09/28/2011 11:16 AM, Kevin Stange wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 04:09 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>> On 09/28/2011 10:39 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>>> Време: 09/28/2011 10:31 AM, Xavier Bachelot пише:

>>> Base repos must reflect what upstream is publishing. Thus, any extra
>>> packages must go elswhere.
>>>
>> This package is special, as it provides only yum confs and no binaries
>> or anything else, and is needed to actually get the updates upstream is
>> publishing. To be a bit bold, this is not different than the
>> centos-release package, which is not in extras either.
>> Actually, the cr repo definition could just be added to the
>> centos-release package, possibly disabled by default.
>
> No, no, no, why do we want to sabotage CR? Why does everyone hate it so
> much?
>
> If it's going to be in the base release file and disabled by default,
> now we make it even harder, instead of (easy) "yum install" or (less
> easy) wget into proper place, now you're saying users are going to need
> to edit files or use "yum --enablerepo" to get updates.
>
> This is an important repo with security patches that could otherwise be
> months delayed. This should not be something hidden from users.
>
> I still think it should be opt-out, but I can accept that it is not in
> the mission to break individual release compatibility with upstream by
> default. Let's NOT intentionally make it harder to install this,
> please, please.

I certainly don't want to sabotage cr and I completely agree it is
mandatory to close the security updates gap between point releases, and
as such, I very much welcome the work done on this.

I think at this point my preference would go to have the cr repo
definition in the centos-release package and have it enabled by default,
just like the regular updates repo (and actually, I would even say
extras should not be enabled by default in order to be even closer to
what upstream provides, but this is a different matter). I said the cr
could be disabled by default only because some people are of the opinion
it should be opt-in rather than opt-out, but that's another point to
discuss. What I'd like to be cleared now is how to have the repo
definition available, as easily as possible.

Regards,
Xavier

Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Kevin Stange

On 09/28/2011 04:32 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 11:16 AM, Kevin Stange wrote:
>> This is an important repo with security patches that could otherwise be
>> months delayed. This should not be something hidden from users.
>>
> I certainly don't want to sabotage cr and I completely agree it is
> mandatory to close the security updates gap between point releases, and
> as such, I very much welcome the work done on this.

Glad to hear.

> I think at this point my preference would go to have the cr repo
> definition in the centos-release package and have it enabled by default,
> just like the regular updates repo (and actually, I would even say
> extras should not be enabled by default in order to be even closer to
> what upstream provides, but this is a different matter). I said the cr
> could be disabled by default only because some people are of the opinion
> it should be opt-in rather than opt-out, but that's another point to
> discuss. What I'd like to be cleared now is how to have the repo
> definition available, as easily as possible.

I would be very happy with that configuration, so long as it's a single
easy command (no thinking, copy and paste) for users to get the CR repo
or it's on by default. However, I agree in principle that to stay true
to the goals of CentOS it may not be appropriate.

If it's not on by default, it should be an RPM package in a repo enabled
by default or a magic "cr enable utility" needs to be on the system by
default. If it defaults to on, then it should be in centos-release.

Ideally, anyone who knows they want to stay behind on a previous CentOS
release (and accepts that risk) knows how to prevent upgrading and will
be able to figure out how to disable the CR as well.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer

Phone: 312-602-2689 x203
Fax: 312-602-2688

Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Tom Sorensen

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Kevin Stange <kevin@steadfast.net> wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 04:32 AM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> If it's not on by default, it should be an RPM package in a repo enabled
> by default or a magic "cr enable utility" needs to be on the system by
> default. *If it defaults to on, then it should be in centos-release.

Which is exactly what we have now.

yum install centos-release-cr

Done. And now it's enabled.

Tom Sorensen