Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Gianluca Cecchi

Default info on cr announce list

Hello,
at announce message as in
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2011-August/017689.html
I can see in particular:

- All contents in the CR repo will be announced into a separate
announcement list; once 5.7 is released the announcements will be
re-sent to the centos-announce list.

Now I'm testing it on a CentOS 5.6 x86_64 system and indeed after
enabling the CR repo it pulls and updates about 70 packages and it is
working ok (comparing with a RH EL system I can see some difference,
probably due to latest upstream updates not already ib sync). Same
kernel version as upstream in particular.

But I can't see any message at
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-cr-announce/

Is this because archives are not populated or because the activation
of the dedicated announce list is going to be a future step?
Is CR aim only to provide security related packages or all the updates
released by upstream provider in the mean time that CentOS official
5.7 isos are released?
Any way to easily see what is the date current CentOS CR is in sync
with? And any easy way to see time stamp of latest upstream update?

BTW: during June and July the qaweb.dev.centos.org web site was filled
with the calendar estimated section too and I found it very useful to
have a synthetic view of milestones.
Currently it is empty for 5.7 and 6.1. Is this due only to the huge
amount of parallel work going through or are there any other reasons?

Thanks in advance and keep on with the great work!
Gianluca

Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 08/29/2011 01:41 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Hello,
> at announce message as in
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2011-August/017689.html
> I can see in particular:
>
> - All contents in the CR repo will be announced into a separate
> announcement list; once 5.7 is released the announcements will be
> re-sent to the centos-announce list.

Thats my fault for not announcing anything there, the tricky situation
was re-announcing everything; There are 8 pending updates to go into
5.6/CR/ I will push those out today and do the announcements.

Also, given that the list had zero subscribers - it was borderline
academic...

- KB

Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Blake Dunlap

Also, given that the list had zero subscribers - it was borderline

academic...

- KB

Actually, I wouldn't say that. The archive pages are just as much of a parse target as the lists themselves.

-Blake

Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Blake,

On 08/30/2011 08:02 PM, Blake Dunlap wrote:
> Actually, I wouldn't say that. The archive pages are just as much of a
> parse target as the lists themselves.

right, I've just setup the entire 5.6/cr stuff to announce though a
script. its going to use the same format as the regular centos-5
announcements.

The only negative in doing things in this manner is that when the same
rpm set is released into os/ and updates/ we will end up with dupe
content, and no real way to update the archive for the announce-cr list.
ie: it would have been nice to have a mechanism that would workout and
add something in <blink>this announcement superseded by that
announcement</blink>; But that needs quite a bit more work

- KB