Old 07-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Karanbir Singh

Default Boot.Kernel.Org and CentOS

hi guys,

About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to get that
install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed quite
a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively intrusive.
The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy with
a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if anyone
would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make things
work off b.k.o

Regards,

- KB
--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh@centos.org> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
> CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to get that
> install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed quite
> a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively intrusive.
> The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy with
> a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if anyone
> would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make things
> work off b.k.o
>
> Regards,
>
> - KB
> --
> Karanbir Singh
> +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
> ICQ: 2522219 * *| Yahoo IM: z00dax * * *| Gtalk: z00dax
> GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc

I think I can do that.

--
------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

Old 07-29-2011, 02:01 AM
Corey Quinn

On Jul 28, 2011, at 5:20 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
> CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to get that
> install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed quite
> a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively intrusive.
> The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy with
> a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if anyone
> would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make things
> work off b.k.o

I'll pick this up and run with it as well.

-- Corey / KB1JWQ

Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 AM
"James A. Peltier"

| On Jul 28, 2011, at 5:20 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
|
| > hi guys,
| >
| > About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
| > CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to get
| > that
| > install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed
| > quite
| > a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively
| > intrusive.
| > The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy
| > with
| > a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if
| > anyone
| > would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make
| > things
| > work off b.k.o
|
| I'll pick this up and run with it as well.
|
| -- Corey / KB1JWQ

Booting ISO images is available in a git branch of iPXE which is a fork of gPXE for which b.k.o. is built around. I'm already using it to boot installation media for Windows and GNU/Linux from ISOs. Doing it from the LiveCDs is pretty damn simple.

See http://git.ipxe.org/people/mcb30/ipxe.git/shortlog/refs/heads/httpsan

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group

Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 AM
"James A. Peltier"

Okay I've got some preliminary code that will do it, but I'd like a bit more detail as to how you plan on implementing it. Is there an intention to have a boot.centos.org server for which menu options that a user can choose from is selectable? i.e.

Boot CentOS 5 x32 Install
Boot CentOS 5 x64 Install
Boot CentOS 5 x32 Live
Boot CentOS 5 x64 Live

Boot CentOS 6 x32 Install
Boot CentOS 6 x64 Install
Boot CentOS 5 x32 Live
Boot CentOS 5 x64 Live

and then these choose the ISO from a mirror closest to them or would you just like a CD image that just net boots the appropriate version? What is it that you would like?

| | On Jul 28, 2011, at 5:20 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
| |
| | > hi guys,
| | >
| | > About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
| | > CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to
| | > get
| | > that
| | > install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed
| | > quite
| | > a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively
| | > intrusive.
| | > The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy
| | > with
| | > a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if
| | > anyone
| | > would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make
| | > things
| | > work off b.k.o
| |

Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/29/2011 09:12 AM, James A. Peltier wrote:
> Okay I've got some preliminary code that will do it, but I'd like a bit more detail as to how you plan on implementing it. Is there an intention to have a boot.centos.org server for which menu options that a user can choose from is selectable? i.e.

That would be good yes, what sort of a setup is needed behind
boot.centos.org ?

> and then these choose the ISO from a mirror closest to them or would you just like a CD image that just net boots the appropriate version? What is it that you would like?

Since you are looking into this, why dont you go ahead and make a
recommendation - that would be a good place to start from. We can tweak
/ tune stuff from there onward. In terms of testing things, perhaps a
single image that is directly usable would be an easy way to move
forward, we can then later see whats involved in working through the
mirrorlist.centos.org stuff to have closest-known-good-image come into
play. How does that sound ?

- KB

Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> That would be good yes, what sort of a setup is needed behind
> boot.centos.org ?

we can get the sources from boot.fp.o and adjust the sources to centos.

------------

Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh@centos.org> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
> CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to get that
> install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed quite
> a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively intrusive.
> The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy with
> a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if anyone
> would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make things
> work off b.k.o
>
> Regards,
>
> - KB
> --
> Karanbir Singh
> +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
> ICQ: 2522219 * *| Yahoo IM: z00dax * * *| Gtalk: z00dax
> GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc

I have contacted warthog9 and him added centos 6.x into boot.kernel.org

warthog9 asked if someone wants to add centos 6.x live images into
boot.kernel.org, if yes, here are git address ->

http://boot.kernel.org/.git/

I can try to do it later if no others interested in doing this.

------------

Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 08/03/2011 11:30 PM, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
> I have contacted warthog9 and him added centos 6.x into boot.kernel.org

great! was it literally just a case of listing the distro there ? I seem
to remember that the installer, and the initrd needed to be patched at
one stage, is that no longer the case ?

Also, I'm still keen to head what James Peltier has to recommend abou
the ipxe stuff he has been looking into.

Feel free to go for the livecd's at b.k.o as well and if there is
anything we need to plumb into the distro-build process at our end, let
me know and we can look into that too.

- KB

Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
"James A. Peltier"

| On 08/03/2011 11:30 PM, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
| > I have contacted warthog9 and him added centos 6.x into
| > boot.kernel.org
| >

| great! was it literally just a case of listing the distro there ? I
| seem
| to remember that the installer, and the initrd needed to be patched at
| one stage, is that no longer the case ?
|
| Also, I'm still keen to head what James Peltier has to recommend abou
| the ipxe stuff he has been looking into.
|
| Feel free to go for the livecd's at b.k.o as well and if there is
| anything we need to plumb into the distro-build process at our end,
| let
| me know and we can look into that too.
|
| - KB

Nope, patching is still required ATM. I've tried the sanboot option even with iPXE and it tanks miserably. This is because once the OS has booted it can't see anything holding the iso image any more. This would likely be the case for b.k.o as well since iPXE is based off of gPXE which b.k.o is working from. I think I have a work-around but not fully tested yet.