Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default ksplice and CentOS

hi guys,

lots of people on this list are keen on contributing to the CentOS
effort - and one place where we could, as a group of people, make a
massive difference is being able to deliver a ksplice upgrade model. A
couple of people have started in silo's to try and get something
together but I feel it might be a good time to try and see if we can do
somethng as a group.

Do we have people on the list who find the idea of rebootless kernel
upgrades interesting ? Is there some desire to try and make that happen
within the CentOS Ecosystem ?

- KB

Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Jerry Amundson

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> lots of people on this list are keen on contributing to the CentOS
> effort - and one place where we could, as a group of people, make a
> massive difference is being able to deliver a ksplice upgrade model. A
> couple of people have started in silo's to try and get something
> together but I feel it might be a good time to try and see if we can do
> somethng as a group.
>
> Do we have people on the list who find the idea of rebootless kernel
> upgrades interesting ? Is there some desire to try and make that happen
> within the CentOS Ecosystem ?

So you mean, developing from the ground up, something "ksplice-like"?
The "ksplice" I see out there is closed source, and was purchased by
Oracle today, for what it's worth... :-(

jerry

Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 03:56:48PM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:

> So you mean, developing from the ground up, something "ksplice-like"?
> The "ksplice" I see out there is closed source, and was purchased by
> Oracle today, for what it's worth... :-(

And in typical Oracraple tradition immediately dropped support for RHEL
and Suse.

John
--
If you can give your son or daughter only one gift, let it be enthusiasm.

-- Bruce Barton (1886-1967), American author, advertising expert

Old 07-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/21/2011 09:56 PM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> So you mean, developing from the ground up, something "ksplice-like"?
> The "ksplice" I see out there is closed source, and was purchased by
> Oracle today, for what it's worth... :-(

ksplice has always been GPL friendly, or I've been lead to believe by
the guys who wrote it originally. I have a git clone from earlier this
year and it clearly indicates the code as being GPLv2.

Happy to publish it.

- KB

Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 04:03:41PM -0500, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 03:56:48PM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> >
> > So you mean, developing from the ground up, something "ksplice-like"?
> > The "ksplice" I see out there is closed source, and was purchased by
> > Oracle today, for what it's worth... :-(
>
> And in typical Oracraple tradition immediately dropped support for RHEL
> and Suse.

Sorry to reply to my own message but they've also removed CentOS from
the list of supported platforms.

John

Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Jerry Amundson

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 07/21/2011 09:56 PM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> So you mean, developing from the ground up, something "ksplice-like"?
>> The "ksplice" I see out there is closed source, and was purchased by
>> Oracle today, for what it's worth... :-(
>
> ksplice has always been GPL friendly, or I've been lead to believe by
> the guys who wrote it originally. I have a git clone from earlier this
> year and it clearly indicates the code as being GPLv2.
>
> Happy to publish it.

Please do! :-)
The download links in this WikiPedia article are already zapped as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksplice

jerry

Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 21 July 2011 22:09, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:

> Sorry to reply to my own message but they've also removed CentOS from
> the list of supported platforms.

Do I live in a parallel universe?
http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/supported-kernels
has

Ksplice Uptrack supported kernels
Ksplice Uptrack can bring the following kernels up to date with the
latest important security and bug fix patches:

Red Hat and CentOS
All CentOS and RHEL 6 kernels starting with with the official release
All CentOS and RHEL 5 non-Xen kernels starting with 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5
(released Dec. 5, 2008)
All CentOS and RHEL 5 Xen kernels starting with 2.6.18-128.1.14.el5xen
(released June 1, 2009)
All CentOSPlus 5 non-Xen kernels starting with
2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.centos.plus (released Dec. 17, 2008)
All CentOSPlus 5 Xen kernels starting with
2.6.18-128.1.14.el5.centos.plusxen (released June 20, 2009)
All CentOS and RHEL 4 non-Xen kernels starting with 2.6.9-67.EL
(released Nov. 15, 2007)
All CentOSPlus 4 "plus.c4" and "plus.c4smp" kernels starting with
2.6.9-78.0.8.EL (released Nov. 5, 2008)

and so on?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Tru Huynh

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 04:10:10PM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> > On 07/21/2011 09:56 PM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> >> So you mean, developing from the ground up, something "ksplice-like"?
> >> The "ksplice" I see out there is closed source, and was purchased by
> >> Oracle today, for what it's worth... :-(
> >
> > ksplice has always been GPL friendly, or I've been lead to believe by
> > the guys who wrote it originally. I have a git clone from earlier this
> > year and it clearly indicates the code as being GPLv2.
> >
> > Happy to publish it.
>
> Please do! :-)
> The download links in this WikiPedia article are already zapped as well.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksplice

http://dev.centos.org/~tru/ksplice/
original files and signed with their key

from the included README:

Ksplice
Copyright (C) 2007-2009 Ksplice, Inc.
Authors: Jeff Arnold, Anders Kaseorg, Tim Abbott

it under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2.

For more information about Ksplice, please see <http://www.ksplice.com/>.

Installation instructions:
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

Notable Build Dependencies:
- GNU binary file descriptor (BFD) library (version 2.15 or later)
(available in Debian's binutils-dev package and in other distributions)

Tru
--
Tru Huynh (mirrors, CentOS i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)

Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Tru Huynh

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:18:44PM +0100, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 22:09, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry to reply to my own message but they've also removed CentOS from
> > the list of supported platforms.
> >
> Do I live in a parallel universe?
> http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/supported-kernels
> has
>
> Ksplice Uptrack supported kernels
> Ksplice Uptrack can bring the following kernels up to date with the
> latest important security and bug fix patches:

but the header reads:
On July 21, 2011, Oracle announced that it has acquired Ksplice.
...`
points to http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/Acquisitions/ksplice/index.html
and http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/435791
Oracle believes it will be the only enterprise Linux provider that can offer
zero downtime updates, and expects to make the Ksplice technology a standard
feature of Oracle Linux Premier Support.

Time will tell

Tru
--
Tru Huynh (mirrors, CentOS i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)

Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Gianluca Cecchi

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> Do I live in a parallel universe?
> http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/supported-kernels
> has
>
> Ksplice Uptrack supported kernels
> Ksplice Uptrack can bring the following kernels up to date with the
> latest important security and bug fix patches:
>
> Red Hat and CentOS
> All CentOS and RHEL 6 kernels starting with with the official release
> All CentOS and RHEL 5 non-Xen kernels starting with 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5
> (released Dec. 5, 2008)
> All CentOS and RHEL 5 Xen kernels starting with 2.6.18-128.1.14.el5xen
> (released June 1, 2009)
> All CentOSPlus 5 non-Xen kernels starting with
> 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.centos.plus (released Dec. 17, 2008)
> All CentOSPlus 5 Xen kernels starting with
> 2.6.18-128.1.14.el5.centos.plusxen (released June 20, 2009)
> All CentOS and RHEL 4 non-Xen kernels starting with 2.6.9-67.EL
> (released Nov. 15, 2007)
> All CentOSPlus 4 "plus.c4" and "plus.c4smp" kernels starting with
> 2.6.9-78.0.8.EL (released Nov. 5, 2008)
>
> and so on?

yes but then in download links you can find only Fedora and Ubuntu.
Also if you select "trial ksplice" only these two distributions ...
while before you could try RH EL and CentOS too and evaluate the
product before buy.
In fact I tried it when there was a serious bug in kernel with root
privileges escalation (CVE-2010-3081) and an open exploit
and verified its goodness.
So +1 for me

Gianluca