Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Karanbir Singh

Default ksplice and CentOS

Hi,

On 07/22/2011 05:15 AM, SZ Quadri wrote:
> Please proceed ahead. This is one of the most interesting stuff -
> applying most of the security patches without rebooting on production
> servers.

So, what are you going to be doing to help?

- KB

Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
R P Herrold

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> later code can be published using any license. the license for the
>> earlier code cannot be changed

> So you can take GPL code, change it a little and make it copyrighted
> (non-GPL)? What about the parts of the code already published under GPL?

Ljubomir --

Please go participate in Debian-legal, or Fedora-legal or such
other non-lawyer debate and speculation societies. This is
so clearly out of scope here

-- Russ herrold

Old 07-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> So, what are you going to be doing to help?

It would be good to learn how exactly would development go.

- What is programing language,
- what are current caveats, bugs
- what are the goals for the future,
- and what is estimated number of developers and testers required/desired.

That would help people decide what they could offer.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 07-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 07/22/2011 12:29 AM, Brandon Ooi wrote:
> I would not be surprised if we see RH do something about this. They
> contribute the most to linux development of anybody. Anybody know
> someone at RH to see if there are plans? Possibly done on the Fedora
> side and trickle down to RHEL/CentOS?

As Jeff and Russ already pointed out - it would be interesting to see
what Red Hat do at their end, or even if they consider this sort of a
deployment scenario as something their customers would be keen on.
However, we are quite a large community here within the CentOS arena,
and given that there are quite a few people who use CentOS, who are also
insterested in this sort of a scenario - now is a good opportunity to
put together some efforts and see if we can solve this problem, for
ourselves.

In terms of people who cant help : Maybe we can get Marian to host a
webinar or something of that nature that people interested could attend
and see for themselves what the implications are, how the work might be
done and what is needed to make things happen. I would be happy to
organise something of this nature, should Marian agree.

- KB

Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/22/2011 02:12 AM, Cia Watson wrote:
> guys, and gals? :-)

apologies... I did mean all the cool people of the world!

- KB

Old 07-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 07/22/2011 09:54 AM, Marian Marinov wrote:
> I spoke with my colleges about Ksplice and one very interesting question
> popped up:
>
> What will happen with our fork efforts if Oracle suddenly patent the Ksplice
> software ?

There are some patents(?) already involved :
http://www.faqs.org/patents/assignee/ksplice-inc/

- http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100269105
- http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100269106

> I know that in Europe we don't have the problem with software pattents and the
> GPL will protect us from any issues like that.
>
> However what is the situation in the US and other countries that have software
> pattents ?

Carrying content that has patent or regional restrictions is always
going to be a tricky question for what we are doing in .centos.org - but
there are people we can talk to about stuff like this if there is a need
to clear stuff up.

- KB

Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Charlie Brady

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> > later code can be published using any license. the license for the
> > earlier code cannot be changed
>
> So you can take GPL code, change it a little and make it copyrighted
> (non-GPL)?

It is already copyrighted, whether GPL or not. If you own the copyright,
you can distribute a new version which is under a different license, and
therefore is not GPL.

If you don't own the copyright, any version you distribute must be GPL.

> What about the parts of the code already published under GPL?

Those are already GPL.

Please take the time to read the GPL, and FSF's FAQ on licensing.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ok, now with some git, you can get the base code from :

git clone git://nazar.karan.org/testing/ksplice

web ui at : https://nazar.karan.org/cgit/ksplice/

with mirror's at

https://gitorious.org/centos/ksplice and
https://github.com/CentOS/ksplice

merge across mirrors via hooks ( lets see how that works out.. )

push changes via github / gitorious or git-email..

- KB

Old 07-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Marian Marinov

On Friday 22 July 2011 14:50:20 Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/22/2011 12:29 AM, Brandon Ooi wrote:
> > I would not be surprised if we see RH do something about this. They
> > contribute the most to linux development of anybody. Anybody know
> > someone at RH to see if there are plans? Possibly done on the Fedora
> > side and trickle down to RHEL/CentOS?
>
> As Jeff and Russ already pointed out - it would be interesting to see
> what Red Hat do at their end, or even if they consider this sort of a
> deployment scenario as something their customers would be keen on.
> However, we are quite a large community here within the CentOS arena,
> and given that there are quite a few people who use CentOS, who are also
> insterested in this sort of a scenario - now is a good opportunity to
> put together some efforts and see if we can solve this problem, for
> ourselves.
>
> In terms of people who cant help : Maybe we can get Marian to host a
> webinar or something of that nature that people interested could attend
> and see for themselves what the implications are, how the work might be
> done and what is needed to make things happen. I would be happy to
> organise something of this nature, should Marian agree.
>
> - KB

The next three weeks I will be extremely busy around my company, so I would
not be able before 14.Aug. But after that I'll be more then happy to host a
webinar on ksplice and what I already have tested.

Best regards,
Marian Marinov
CEO of 1H Ltd.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 AM
"Dmitry E. Mikhailov"

Hi,

How can I help?

I can do QA/testing on my hardware, but all six servers I could use for tests
are all on C5 aboutand I'm not quite ready to move them on to C6 so I could
have no more than two C6 boxes now.

Are you going to do a single ksplice patch out of an entire upstream vendor's
C6 patchset?

Best regards,
Dmitry Mikhailov