FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Cia Watson
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:37:26 +0100
Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> lots of people on this list are keen on contributing to the CentOS
> effort - and one place where we could, as a group of people, make a
> massive difference is being able to deliver a ksplice upgrade model.
> A couple of people have started in silo's to try and get something
> together but I feel it might be a good time to try and see if we can
> do somethng as a group.
>
> Do we have people on the list who find the idea of rebootless kernel
> upgrades interesting ? Is there some desire to try and make that
> happen within the CentOS Ecosystem ?

guys, and gals? :-)

They recently introduced something called kexec-tools in Debian
(testing /wheezy) and for those in the linux mint debian arena (LMDE),
it didn't go well. I'm currently using Debian testing (not mintified)
and don't have it installed. Here's the description, in case it's
helpful:

This tool is used to load a kernel in memory and reboot into
the kernel loaded in memory using the kexec system call.

Here's a link:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/kexec-tools

Cia W

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 04:15 AM
SZ Quadri
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

On 07/21/2011 10:39 PM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

> Ho-hum. We'll see. Oracle is becoming one of the most evil companies as

> far as my opinion counts.



Sounds like a good reason for us to pickup on ksplice and see if we, as

a group of people, can create an alternative.



- KB

_______________________________________________

+1
Please proceed ahead. This is one of the most interesting stuff - applying most of the security patches without rebooting on production servers.

Oracle has not followed the community tradition and collectively we can bring back this exiting stuff to mainstream Linux.


_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 04:50 AM
"Dmitry E. Mikhailov"
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

On Friday 22 July 2011 07:12, Cia Watson wrote:
> This tool is used to load a kernel in memory and reboot into
> the kernel loaded in memory using the kexec system call.
FIrst of all, kexec is not ksplice. kexec allows to reboot kernel without
rebooting hardware, but it's still a reboot and a usual disruption of
services associated with it. ksplice is a quite another thing. It allows to
apply patches to an already running kernel with no disruption of services.

Second, kexec is included in CentOS already:
[tn@ibm2 cropgui]$ rpm -q kexec-tools
kexec-tools-1.102pre-96.el5_5.4

Not sure whether default CentOS kernels support kexec system call.


Best regards,
Dmitry Mikhailov
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Marian Marinov
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

I spoke with my colleges about Ksplice and one very interesting question
popped up:

What will happen with our fork efforts if Oracle suddenly patent the Ksplice
software ?

I know that in Europe we don't have the problem with software pattents and the
GPL will protect us from any issues like that.

However what is the situation in the US and other countries that have software
pattents ?

Marian
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

Jeff Johnson wrote:
>
> On Jul 21, 2011, at 7:29 PM, Brandon Ooi wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Sam Wilson <kahn@the-mesh.org
>> <mailto:kahn@the-mesh.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I too am sad to see KSplice gobbled up by (evil corporation here).
>> Though I am in the same boat as Khusro in that I probably can't
>> really contribute to active development I am sure I have some
>> hardware that can be dedicated to testing and QA for a KSplice fork.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Sam
>>
>>
>> I would not be surprised if we see RH do something about this. They
>> contribute the most to linux development of anybody. Anybody know
>> someone at RH to see if there are plans? Possibly done on the Fedora
>> side and trickle down to RHEL/CentOS?
>>
>
> Um, does it matter what Oracle and RedHat are doing?
>
> This is Centos, most users are here because they cannot afford to
> pay for either RedHat or Oracle product for whatever reason.
>
> To paraphrase a recent LWN quote-of-the-week (and not from smooge ;-)
>
> If you're not paying for THEIR product, you ARE their product.
>
> If you would like be "product", while have fun!
>
> Meanwhile if splice is useful and their is interest, you're gonna have
> to generate a kernel patch stream somehow in order to make splice
> Just Work (and continue to work) in CentOS.
>
> 73 de Jeff
>

There are CentOSPlus kernels available. They can be modified as desired.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
trusty Spiderman...
StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 07/21/2011 11:09 PM, Marian Marinov wrote:
>> It would be great if we put the project in GitHub or Gitorius so we can all
>> collaborate on the solution.
>
> I've literally just put the git repo together and am pushing it out with
> a few mirrors. Stay tuned for urls
>
> - KB
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS-devel mailing list
> CentOS-devel@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
>
>

Will you have to change a name for a fork? Maybe "cksplice"?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
trusty Spiderman...
StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

Marian Marinov wrote:
> I spoke with my colleges about Ksplice and one very interesting question
> popped up:
>
> What will happen with our fork efforts if Oracle suddenly patent the Ksplice
> software ?
>
> I know that in Europe we don't have the problem with software pattents and the
> GPL will protect us from any issues like that.
>
> However what is the situation in the US and other countries that have software
> pattents ?
>
> Marian
>

Any code released as GPL can be forked as long as fork is also GPL. Can
Oracle even change the license for code published as GPL? I am really
interested to hear "official" responce from someone that knows this by
heart.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
trusty Spiderman...
StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Manuel Wolfshant
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

On 07/22/2011 01:11 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Marian Marinov wrote:
>> I spoke with my colleges about Ksplice and one very interesting question
>> popped up:
>>
>> What will happen with our fork efforts if Oracle suddenly patent the Ksplice
>> software ?
>>
>> I know that in Europe we don't have the problem with software pattents and the
>> GPL will protect us from any issues like that.
>>
>> However what is the situation in the US and other countries that have software
>> pattents ?
>>
>> Marian
>>
> Any code released as GPL can be forked as long as fork is also GPL. Can
> Oracle even change the license for code published as GPL?

later code can be published using any license. the license for the
earlier code cannot be changed


> I am really
> interested to hear "official" responce from someone that knows this by
> heart.
>

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> later code can be published using any license. the license for the
> earlier code cannot be changed
>

So you can take GPL code, change it a little and make it copyrighted
(non-GPL)? What about the parts of the code already published under GPL?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
trusty Spiderman...
StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Ferry Huberts
 
Default ksplice and CentOS

On 07/22/2011 12:49 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> later code can be published using any license. the license for the
>> earlier code cannot be changed
>>
>
> So you can take GPL code, change it a little and make it copyrighted
> (non-GPL)? What about the parts of the code already published under GPL?
>
no you can not. gpl does not allow this. once a file is gpl licensed it is
so forever until all copyright holders agree to change the license.


grtz

--
Ferry Huberts
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org