Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default announcing stuff that is in CR/

hi guys,

Opinions on what would be a good time to announce rpms that make it into
the CR/ repo's ? As we build through 5.7 and 6.1, and start pushing the
packages into the CR/ repo, should we also be announcing those updates ?
On one hand it seems like the best time to announce it since the rpms
are available - however they are only available to people who
specifically opt into the CR/ process, so perhaps the best time to
announce them would be when the rpms are in the os ( or updates/ ) repos
in the next release.

thoughts ?

- KB

Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 07/21/2011 05:03 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> Opinions on what would be a good time to announce rpms that make it into
> the CR/ repo's ? As we build through 5.7 and 6.1, and start pushing the
> packages into the CR/ repo, should we also be announcing those updates ?
> On one hand it seems like the best time to announce it since the rpms
> are available - however they are only available to people who
> specifically opt into the CR/ process, so perhaps the best time to
> announce them would be when the rpms are in the os ( or updates/ ) repos
> in the next release.
>
> thoughts ?

announce the packages when they are pushed to the repo. include the
explicit mention that they are ONLY there and that they will disappear
when relocated to os / updates.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Thomas Göttgens

Hi,

> Opinions on what would be a good time to announce rpms that make it into
> the CR/ repo's ? As we build through 5.7 and 6.1, and start pushing the
> packages into the CR/ repo, should we also be announcing those updates ?
> On one hand it seems like the best time to announce it since the rpms
> are available - however they are only available to people who
> specifically opt into the CR/ process, so perhaps the best time to
> announce them would be when the rpms are in the os ( or updates/ ) repos
> in the next release.

the clean solution would be to divide those notifications into
channels as well, although that would mean re-announcing packages as
they move between channels.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Thomas Göttgens

Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Thomas Göttgens

Hi,

Old 07-21-2011, 02:19 PM
William Hooper

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> Opinions on what would be a good time to announce rpms that make it into
> the CR/ repo's ?

What would be the feasibility of creating a CR-5 and CR-6 "topic" to
the announce list? You could push the announcements to the new topics
when they go to the CR, then a separate announcement to the regular
topics for everyone that isn't using the CR repos.

--
William Hooper

Old 07-21-2011, 02:19 PM
William Hooper

Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Greg Bailey

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> Opinions on what would be a good time to announce rpms that make it into
> the CR/ repo's ? As we build through 5.7 and 6.1, and start pushing the
> packages into the CR/ repo, should we also be announcing those updates ?
> On one hand it seems like the best time to announce it since the rpms
> are available - however they are only available to people who
> specifically opt into the CR/ process, so perhaps the best time to
> announce them would be when the rpms are in the os ( or updates/ ) repos
> in the next release.
>
> thoughts ?

Using CentOS 6.1 as an example, will the packages be announced again
once 6.1 is released? I'm assuming they would, as that would indicate
the updates are available from the regular updates repository. In that
case, you'd have 2 announcements for each update: one for the CR
release, and another for the "regular" release.

How about an "centos-announce-cr" mailing list for those who want to be
notified of CR updates?

-Greg

Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Greg Bailey