-   -   Anaconda install groups vs yumgroups? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/551678-anaconda-install-groups-vs-yumgroups.html)

07-12-2011 07:20 PM

Anaconda install groups vs yumgroups?

Hi,

In looking at the C6 installer there are several types of installs listed.
In the past I could do an install and anaconda would tell me what yumgroups
it installed via the anaconda.cfg that was dropped in /root.

with c6 anaconda still drops this file but none of the yumgroups are listed.

Is there a way to determine what yumgroups a particular install group installs?

For instance if I do a server install which groups actually get installed?

I am thinking there is something in the anaconda source but so far I am
unable to find it and Google is not useful.

Is this info listed anywhere?

Tom me@tdiehl.org Spamtrap address me123@tdiehl.org

Marcus Moeller 07-12-2011 07:28 PM

Anaconda install groups vs yumgroups?

Hi.

> In looking at the C6 installer there are several types of installs listed.
> In the past I could do an install and anaconda would tell me what yumgroups
> it installed via the anaconda.cfg that was dropped in /root.
>
> with c6 anaconda still drops this file but none of the yumgroups are listed.
>
> Is there a way to determine what yumgroups a particular install group installs?
>
> For instance if I do a server install which groups actually get installed?
>
> I am thinking there is something in the anaconda source but so far I am
> unable to find it and Google is not useful.
>
> Is this info listed anywhere?

This is driven by comps.xml. There is no magic behind. yum grouplist
lists all available and installed groups (sorted)

Greets
Marcus

PS: please stick with centos rather than -devel for questions like these.

Tom Diehl 07-12-2011 08:47 PM

Anaconda install groups vs yumgroups?

Switching the list to centos as requested.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Marcus Moeller wrote:

> Hi.
>
>> In looking at the C6 installer there are several types of installs listed.
>> In the past I could do an install and anaconda would tell me what yumgroups
>> it installed via the anaconda.cfg that was dropped in /root.
>>
>> with c6 anaconda still drops this file but none of the yumgroups are listed.
>>
>> Is there a way to determine what yumgroups a particular install group installs?
>>
>> For instance if I do a server install which groups actually get installed?
>>
>> I am thinking there is something in the anaconda source but so far I am
>> unable to find it and Google is not useful.
>>
>> Is this info listed anywhere?
>
> This is driven by comps.xml. There is no magic behind. yum grouplist
> lists all available and installed groups (sorted)

This does not appear to be true. If it was I would not have posted at all
or maybe I am just confused.

For example, in anaconda there is an install group called "Minimal Desktop"
If I look in the comps.xml in the centos repo there is no such group.
There is also a Minimal group that does not appear in comps.

All I am trying to do is understand the relationship between the groups
listed in anaconda and in comps.xml.

Does anaconda use a different comps.xml?

Tom Diehl tdiehl@rogueind.com Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com

Marcus Moeller 07-13-2011 06:54 AM

Anaconda install groups vs yumgroups?

Hi again.

>> In looking at the C6 installer there are several types of installs listed.
>> In the past I could do an install and anaconda would tell me what yumgroups
>> it installed via the anaconda.cfg that was dropped in /root.
>>
>> with c6 anaconda still drops this file but none of the yumgroups are listed.
>>
>> Is there a way to determine what yumgroups a particular install group installs?

Btw. if you mean the default Anaconda installation templates like
Desktop, Minimal Desktop ... they are hard-coded:

+ tasks = [(N_("Desktop"),
+ ["base", "core", "debugging",
+ "directory-client", "java-platform",
"network-file-system-client",
+ "server-platform",
+ "fonts", "print-client",
+ "basic-desktop", "desktop-debugging", "desktop-platform",
+ "general-desktop", "graphical-admin-tools", "input-methods",
+ "legacy-x", "x11", "internet-applications",
"internet-browser", "office-suite",
+ "remote-desktop-clients"]),
+ (N_("Minimal Desktop"),
+ ["base", "core", "debugging",
+ "directory-client", "java-platform",
"network-file-system-client",
+ "server-platform",
+ "fonts", "print-client",
+ "basic-desktop", "desktop-debugging", "desktop-platform",
+ "input-methods",
+ "legacy-x", "x11", "internet-browser",
+ "remote-desktop-clients"]),
+ (N_("Minimal"),
+ ["core"]),
+ (N_("Basic Server"),
+ ["base", "console-internet", "core", "debugging",
+ "directory-client", "hardware-monitoring", "java-platform",
+ "large-systems", "network-file-system-client",
+ "performance", "perl-runtime", "server-platform"]),
+ (N_("Database Server"),
+ ["base", "console-internet", "core", "debugging",
+ "directory-client", "hardware-monitoring", "java-platform",
+ "large-systems", "network-file-system-client",
+ "performance", "perl-runtime", "server-platform",
+ "mysql-client", "mysql", "postgresql-client", "postgresql",
+ "system-admin-tools"]),
+ (N_("Web Server"),
+ ["base", "console-internet", "core", "debugging",
+ "directory-client", "java-platform",
+ "network-file-system-client",
+ "performance", "perl-runtime", "server-platform",
+ "web-server", "web-servlet", "php", "turbogears",
+ "mysql-client", "postgresql-client"]),
+ (N_("Virtual Host"),
+ ["base", "console-internet", "core", "debugging",
+ "directory-client", "hardware-monitoring", "java-platform",
+ "large-systems", "network-file-system-client",
+ "performance", "perl-runtime", "server-platform",
+ "virtualization", "virtualization-client",
+ "virtualization-platform"]),
+ (N_("Software Development Workstation"),
+ ["base", "core", "debugging",
+ "directory-client", "java-platform",
"network-file-system-client",
+ "performance", "perl-runtime", "server-platform",
+ "fonts", "print-client",
+ "basic-desktop", "desktop-debugging", "desktop-platform",
+ "general-desktop", "graphical-admin-tools", "input-methods",
+ "legacy-x", "x11", "internet-browser", "graphics",
"emacs", "tex",
+ "remote-desktop-clients", "virtualization",
"virtualization-client",
+ "virtualization-platform",
+ "desktop-platform-devel", "development", "eclipse",
+ "server-platform-devel", "technical-writing",
+ "additional-devel"])]

Hope that helps.

Greets
Marcus

Les Mikesell 07-13-2011 12:59 PM

On 7/13/11 1:54 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:

> Btw. if you mean the default Anaconda installation templates like
> Desktop, Minimal Desktop ... they are hard-coded:
>
> + tasks = [(N_("Desktop"),
> + ["base", "core", "debugging",
> + "directory-client", "java-platform",
> "network-file-system-client",
> + "server-platform",
> + "fonts", "print-client",
> + "basic-desktop", "desktop-debugging", "desktop-platform",
> + "general-desktop", "graphical-admin-tools", "input-methods",
> + "legacy-x", "x11", "internet-applications",

I'm surprised that list doesn't exist in a form that you could cut from a web
page and paste into a yum command line easily. It would be much easier to get a
machine running with ssh and yum available, then make these decisions from the
comfort of another desktop.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Charlie Brady 07-14-2011 08:58 PM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 7/13/11 1:54 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> >
> > Btw. if you mean the default Anaconda installation templates like
> > Desktop, Minimal Desktop ... they are hard-coded:
> >
> > + tasks = [(N_("Desktop"),
>
> I'm surprised that list doesn't exist in a form that you could cut from a web
> page and paste into a yum command line easily. It would be much easier to get a
> machine running with ssh and yum available, then make these decisions from the
> comfort of another desktop.

Just waiting for you to do, Les. People who want that will thank you for
it. You can make a web page, right?