Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 AM
"Dmitry E. Mikhailov"

Default Xen and timekeeping

Hi to everyone,

First of all, I'm not sure I'm posting to a correct list, but please let me
borrow a minute of your precious time before directing me to the correct
place.

I have the problem with Xen domU's and timekeeping in dom0.

Time in dom0 was incorrect by 5 hours due to wrong timezone assumed. Fixed it
by ntpdate ntp.nist.gov. The time on a dom0 was changed. I didn't append
xen.independent_wallclock=1 to sysctl.conf thus the time in all domU's was
also changed. But THEY DIDN'T "KNOW" THAT!

The 'date' output in domU shows time unchanged, as before, incorrect by 5
hours. But any current_time-dependent operations don't behave correctly.
Quagga's OSPFd daemon doesn't add routes. 'service dhcpd stop' hangs forever
while correctly stopping the daemon.

AFAIK, it hangs on 'killproc'

[root@gbuh-ufa init.d]# grep killproc dhcpd -A 2 -B 2

echo -n $"Shutting down $prog: "
killproc $prog
RETVAL=$?
[ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f $lockfile

>From http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/15380.html

killproc: killproc kills a process which is given by a full path to the
executable. ...cut... (by default a SIGTERM is sent, then a SIGKILL if the
process does not die within 5 seconds).

So a 5 seconds interval becomes 5 hours and 5 seconds - something I'm not
willing to wait for.

The problem was worked around when I did a 'date 07111158' on a dom0 and all
domU's semi-simultaneously.

Is this behaviour normal or should I file a bug?

Best regards,
Dmitry Mikhailov

dom0:
Hardware: Intel 5000P chipset, 2 CPUs, total 8 cores
[root@xensrv ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
[root@xensrv ~]# uname -a
Linux xensrv 2.6.18-238.el5xen #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 16:41:45 EST 2011 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@xensrv ~]# rpm -q ntp
ntp-4.2.2p1-9.el5.centos.2.1
[root@xensrv ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo - 8 times the following
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 1998.000
cache size : 6144 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr
sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni vmx est ssse3 cx16 sse4_1
lahf_lm
bogomips : 6237.52
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

domU#0
[root@gbuh-ufa init.d]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.5 (Final)
[root@gbuh-ufa init.d]# uname -a
Linux gbuh-ufa 2.6.18-238.el5xen #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 17:49:40 EST 2011 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

domU#1
[root@buhserv ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
[root@buhserv ~]# uname -a
Linux buhserv 2.6.18-238.el5xen #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 16:41:45 EST 2011 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/11/2011 07:32 AM, Dmitry E. Mikhailov wrote:
> Hi to everyone,
>
> First of all, I'm not sure I'm posting to a correct list,

maybe the centos-virt list ?

- KB