Old 07-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Phil Schaffner

Default Opening of the mirrors?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote on 07/10/2011 07:27 AM:
> Hi.
>
> Can someone confirm that ISO's are in their final form and ready for
> download / torrent seeding?
>
> I saw announcement on @Centos tweeter account and I see previously
> locked mirror close to me is know open, but I do not see any md5sum or
> sha1sum files.

Some last-minute issues are being worked. Please just wait for the
official announcement.

Phil

Old 07-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote on 07/10/2011 07:27 AM:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Can someone confirm that ISO's are in their final form and ready for
>> download / torrent seeding?
>>
>> I saw announcement on @Centos tweeter account and I see previously
>> locked mirror close to me is know open, but I do not see any md5sum or
>> sha1sum files.
>
> Some last-minute issues are being worked. Please just wait for the
> official announcement.
>
> Phil

So should I stop the torrent? It looks like catastrophe. Only my torrent
client has 200 leechers. And it shows ~1200 leechers all together. At
least 55 people already downloaded it and are now seeding.

Mirrors should not have been opened up.

Ljubomir

Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Jeff Johnson

On Jul 10, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote on 07/10/2011 07:27 AM:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Can someone confirm that ISO's are in their final form and ready for
>>> download / torrent seeding?
>>>
>>> I saw announcement on @Centos tweeter account and I see previously
>>> locked mirror close to me is know open, but I do not see any md5sum or
>>> sha1sum files.
>>
>> Some last-minute issues are being worked. Please just wait for the
>> official announcement.
>>
>> Phil
>
> So should I stop the torrent? It looks like catastrophe. Only my torrent
> client has 200 leechers. And it shows ~1200 leechers all together. At
> least 55 people already downloaded it and are now seeding.
>
> Mirrors should not have been opened up.

The issue of early releasing hs been around since forever.

The issue is mostly the logistics of moving images to mirrors.
That takes time and patience.

There *IS* a rather harsh MANDATORY solution possible:

Deliberately remove the first 20K or so of all ISO's,
rendering the ISO's useless.

Go about preparing the release.

When "released", re-add the first 20K of the ISO's,
and add a suggestion that mirrors re-sync.

At some point the noise from deliberately chosen damage (by removing
the 1st 20K of images) is less than the confusion of having multiple
copies of partially released/altered smeared out all over the WWW.

hth

73 de Jeff

Old 07-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote on 07/10/2011 07:27 AM:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Can someone confirm that ISO's are in their final form and ready for
>>> download / torrent seeding?
>>>
>>> I saw announcement on @Centos tweeter account and I see previously
>>> locked mirror close to me is know open, but I do not see any md5sum or
>>> sha1sum files.
>> Some last-minute issues are being worked. Please just wait for the
>> official announcement.
>>
>> Phil
>
> So should I stop the torrent? It looks like catastrophe. Only my torrent
> client has 200 leechers. And it shows ~1200 leechers all together. At
> least 55 people already downloaded it and are now seeding.
>
> Mirrors should not have been opened up.

It looks like KB is OK with torrents according to his tweets, and
availability is only 0.9999%. I guess that could mean that changes will
be incorporated into torrent and only parts of it will be re-downloaded.

Ljubomir

Old 07-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Jeff Sheltren

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:

So should I stop the torrent? It looks like catastrophe. Only my torrent

client has 200 leechers. And it shows ~1200 leechers all together. At

least 55 people already downloaded it and are now seeding.

Mirrors should not have been opened up.

Mirrors were opened up intentionally. *The release announcement is coming soon. *I don't believe the ISO has changed at all from what's in the current torrent, so no problem there. *There's no reason to stop the torrent - thanks for helping out!

-Jeff

Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM
"Alexey Asemov (Alex/AT)"

Jeff Johnson <n3npq@mac.com> Sun, 10 Jul 2011 19:31:31 +0400:

> At some point the noise from deliberately chosen damage (by removing
> the 1st 20K of images) is less than the confusion of having multiple
> copies of partially released/altered smeared out all over the WWW.

Nice idea, though. It will cover "99% pre-download" case, and will prevent
"users too eager to be too fast" from using ISOs in any way except
pre-downloading.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 10.07.11 17:21, schrieb Ljubomir Ljubojevic:

> Mirrors should not have been opened up.

Impossible from a technical point: The mirrorlists which yum uses *HAVE*
to be populated at least with a few hosts before release. And for that
the mirrors have to be open.

It's a bit of "egg and chicken" - we only can announce when we have a
reasonably sane mirrorlist for most countries, but that takes around
three hours or so after "the bit has flipped".

Regards,

Ralph

Old 07-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 10.07.11 17:21, schrieb Ljubomir Ljubojevic:
>
>> Mirrors should not have been opened up.
>
> Impossible from a technical point: The mirrorlists which yum uses *HAVE*
> to be populated at least with a few hosts before release. And for that
> the mirrors have to be open.
>
> It's a bit of "egg and chicken" - we only can announce when we have a
> reasonably sane mirrorlist for most countries, but that takes around
> three hours or so after "the bit has flipped".

Phil's mail suggested another change of ISO file, so in that context I
was wondering why were mirrors opened.

Since all is alright, this step seems logical.

Ljubomir