-   -   Public mirrors leaking ISO files (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/550129-public-mirrors-leaking-iso-files.html)

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 07-09-2011 12:19 AM

Public mirrors leaking ISO files

One of the members on CentOS Facebook page says that he was able to
download ISO file from a public official mirror. Maybe someone could
check this claim and plug the leak?

Ljubomir

"John R. Dennison" 07-09-2011 12:30 AM

On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 02:19:29AM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> One of the members on CentOS Facebook page says that he was able to
> download ISO file from a public official mirror. Maybe someone could
> check this claim and plug the leak?

Rough checking shows at least 3 mirrors leaking, which is typical. I've
contacted one mirror admin that promptly took his mirror off-line to
address it (at least it is no longer responding).

There is nothing that can be done to "plug" leaks except

1) contact the admins and have them fix it
2) remove the mirrors from the mirrorlist and remove their acls.

Frankly, not that my vote counts, I'm all for #2. The issue can be
revisited a few days after release once everything is calm again.

John
--
There are men -- now in power in this country -- who do not respect
dissent, who cannot cope with turmoil, and who believe that the people of

John V. Lindsay (1921-2000), US politician, Congressman, Mayor of New York City

Shawn Thompson 07-09-2011 04:00 AM

Public mirrors leaking ISO files

"leaks"

This is just the silliest thing I have ever heard. This happens all
the time, even with Windows. I see no cause for alarm, especially
since this is FOSS. What's the problem?

~Shawn

"John R. Dennison" 07-09-2011 06:19 AM

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 10:00:09PM -0600, Shawn Thompson wrote:
> "leaks"
>
> This is just the silliest thing I have ever heard. This happens all
> the time, even with Windows. I see no cause for alarm, especially
> since this is FOSS. What's the problem?

[Please do not top-post to the CentOS mailing lists as per list policy.]

Policy is that until the release is announced on www.centos.org and the
mailing lists it is not official and is subject to recall and reissue.

If a mirror leaks content before "bitflip" and such a recall takes place
anyone that downloaded that content and installed it will find
themselves in a very precarious position as they are using unsupported
package content at that moment and this can lead to all sorts of support
nightmares. There is precedent for this; there have been cases in the
past where ISOs have needed to be reissued after seeding has initially
begun.

Content is initially seeded to the mirrors with read access denied for
just this reason. When it is determined that all (or most) mirrors are
fully seeded and that content is gold the bits are flipped on the master
mirrors and all the other mirrors worldwide will pick up this change and
open then content to the public.

Shawn, you are working on your own release at this point and as such I
urge you to take heed of processes that have worked for many years, and
not only for CentOS but for many, if not all, other major releases. You
would do very well to heed the experiences of those that have gone
before. It may seem "silly" to you but there is sound engineering
behind the decision to do things this way.

John
--
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems
unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.

-- Konrad Hermann Josef Adenauer (1876-1967), West German Chancellor from
1949-1963, as quoted in Through Russian Eyes: President Kennedy's 1036
Days (1973) by Anatoli-Andreevich Gromyko

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 07-09-2011 08:43 AM

Shawn Thompson wrote:
> "leaks"
Yes, as in "drips through barriers" until whole dam is broken. Remember
story about Dutch kid that saved the dam by plugging his finger in dam's
little hole? If you are doing something, do it right or do not do it at all.

> This is just the silliest thing I have ever heard. This happens all
> the time, even with Windows. I see no cause for alarm, especially
> since this is FOSS. What's the problem?

I don't care you don't care. I know dev's value their invested time and
do not need more headaches.

Because it is not 100% complete. If someone (read hundreds possibly)
starts using ISO with a bug, then they could start complaining about
something wrong, and dev's and us willing to help could spend may hours
not knowing why is that persons PC behave like that. Not to mention
possible public name calls for no reason than not caring.

Ljubomir

Karanbir Singh 07-09-2011 06:08 PM

On 07/09/2011 05:00 AM, Shawn Thompson wrote:
> This is just the silliest thing I have ever heard. This happens all
> the time, even with Windows. I see no cause for alarm, especially
> since this is FOSS. What's the problem?

Its got nothing to do with FOSS, its got everything to do with not
putting in a situation where they have broken installs and/or not
manageable machine instances.

we do try quite hard, within the CentOS ecosystem, to not put people in
that situation.

Another way of looking at the same thing : our mirror seeding,
management and release process isnt handling the 4500 or so external
mirrors very well at this time. Mirror Management setup Ver3 should help
with that to some level. Better education and more content available for
mirror admins should also help ( we do have rather low levels of content
covering that side of things in the wiki at the moment - you are most
welcome to join and help )

- KB

Ralph Angenendt 07-10-2011 05:50 PM

Am 09.07.11 20:08, schrieb Karanbir Singh:

> Another way of looking at the same thing : our mirror seeding,
> management and release process isnt handling the 4500 or so external
> mirrors

Can I have my one zero back? :)

Ralph

Karanbir Singh 07-10-2011 06:12 PM

On 07/10/2011 06:50 PM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Another way of looking at the same thing : our mirror seeding,
>> management and release process isnt handling the 4500 or so external
>> mirrors
>
> Can I have my one zero back? :)

you can if you only include public ones :}

- KB