FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

hi guys,

We are getting ready to put the 6.0/updates into place. The prep work
brought up a question that needs addressing.

There are quite a few different tools that seem to scrape the
centos-announce output in order to get update metadata; therefore should
we announce every update since the 6.0 release date upstream ? we might
be looking at around 5 million emails being generated outbound...

if not, what are the other options / ideas ?

- KB
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Digimer
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

On 07/04/2011 08:08 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> We are getting ready to put the 6.0/updates into place. The prep work
> brought up a question that needs addressing.
>
> There are quite a few different tools that seem to scrape the
> centos-announce output in order to get update metadata; therefore should
> we announce every update since the 6.0 release date upstream ? we might
> be looking at around 5 million emails being generated outbound...
>
> if not, what are the other options / ideas ?
>
> - KB

If people know it's coming, and if it comes in a flood, then concerned
people can write a filter to redirect the flood to their trash.

Personally, I am a fan of too much info when the alternative is risking
important data being missed. Just pre-define a date and time that the
flood will start. Perhaps tell people to watch for a particular subject
string that will indicate when the flood is complete.

Perhaps:
====
[ CentOS-devel ] == Flood Start ==
<announcements>
[ CentOS-devel ] == Flood End ==
====

A suggestion.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com
Freenode handle: digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
Node Assassin: http://nodeassassin.org
"I feel confined, only free to expand myself within boundaries."
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Cia Watson
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 01:08:12 +0100
Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> We are getting ready to put the 6.0/updates into place. The prep work
> brought up a question that needs addressing.
>
> There are quite a few different tools that seem to scrape the
> centos-announce output in order to get update metadata; therefore
> should we announce every update since the 6.0 release date upstream ?
> we might be looking at around 5 million emails being generated
> outbound...
>
> if not, what are the other options / ideas ?

Not that I know the particulars on how these things are generated, but
perhaps output to a text file and then 1 email that would point to a
link containing that file? Or an xml file, or whatever format would
suit the occasion. Then even if each one has to be done individually,
the output could be appended >> to a specific location, hopefully?

Or, if even that would generate too many lines for one linked file,
could it be parsed alphabetically or something and split into a few
smaller files, with appropriate links on centos.org or the wiki or
something.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

On 7/4/11 8:10 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 07/04/2011 08:08 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> hi guys,
>>
>> We are getting ready to put the 6.0/updates into place. The prep work
>> brought up a question that needs addressing.
>>
>> There are quite a few different tools that seem to scrape the
>> centos-announce output in order to get update metadata; therefore should
>> we announce every update since the 6.0 release date upstream ? we might
>> be looking at around 5 million emails being generated outbound...
>>
>> if not, what are the other options / ideas ?
>>
>> - KB
>
> If people know it's coming, and if it comes in a flood, then concerned
> people can write a filter to redirect the flood to their trash.

Doesn't everyone use the digest version on the announce list anyway? Or at
least everyone who would be bothered by a flood of messages?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Manuel Wolfshant
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

On 07/05/2011 05:01 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 7/4/11 8:10 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> On 07/04/2011 08:08 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> hi guys,
>>>
>>> We are getting ready to put the 6.0/updates into place. The prep work
>>> brought up a question that needs addressing.
>>>
>>> There are quite a few different tools that seem to scrape the
>>> centos-announce output in order to get update metadata; therefore should
>>> we announce every update since the 6.0 release date upstream ? we might
>>> be looking at around 5 million emails being generated outbound...
>>>
>>> if not, what are the other options / ideas ?
>>>
>>> - KB
>> If people know it's coming, and if it comes in a flood, then concerned
>> people can write a filter to redirect the flood to their trash.
> Doesn't everyone use the digest version on the announce list anyway?
No


_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Markus Falb
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

On 5.7.2011 02:08, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> There are quite a few different tools that seem to scrape the
> centos-announce output in order to get update metadata; therefore should
> we announce every update since the 6.0 release date upstream ? we might
> be looking at around 5 million emails being generated outbound...
>
> if not, what are the other options / ideas ?

Not sending them could break those tools. People who dont want to have
the mails are free not to subscribe. Subscribed people who really care
could temporary turn off the delivery of mail which is possible with
mailman.

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Matthew Miller
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 01:08:12AM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> There are quite a few different tools that seem to scrape the
> centos-announce output in order to get update metadata; therefore should
> we announce every update since the 6.0 release date upstream ? we might
> be looking at around 5 million emails being generated outbound...

Please *do* send the update notices. It'll help the automated processes
based around it, and also will demonstrate that hey, this is *not* just
swept under the rug.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Blake Dunlap
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

Please send updates. That being said, I remember months ago you had talked about perhaps offering a better method of data dump from CentOS than the email method for automation purposes, what ever happened to that?

-Blake


_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

On 7/5/2011 10:15 AM, Blake Dunlap wrote:
> Please send updates. That being said, I remember months ago you had
> talked about perhaps offering a better method of data dump from CentOS
> than the email method for automation purposes, what ever happened to that?
>

Seems like something that would be perfect in an rss feed, although
programs that processed it would have to track their own timestamps and
be careful not to do something stupid if they lose their place from
being reinstalled or having a backup restored. For the 'human readable'
side, pointing google reader or a similar feed aggregator at it should
be fine, and turns it into something where new items are easily visible
when you look without creating clutter or requiring visits to lots of
individual sites to check for updates.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default Announcements for 6.0/updates

On 07/05/2011 04:15 PM, Blake Dunlap wrote:
> Please send updates. That being said, I remember months ago you had
> talked about perhaps offering a better method of data dump from CentOS
> than the email method for automation purposes, what ever happened to that?

that sort of changed in scope - its still in the pipeline and I hope to
have some usable code soon. Atleast enough of the framework that other
people can then take it up and add functionality etc.

the plan that I've been working towards is to have a REST api that can
be called from whatever service / consumer / frontend and have
information published there. the metadata that is needed for something
of this nature is already being aggregated ( stuff like changelogs and
cve's etc )

- KB
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:12 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org