Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Karanbir Singh

Default Variants and packages in Upstream

Hi guys,

Wonder if someone can confirm that in EL6 :
<any varient> + <optionals> = entire distro tree.

eg. does <server> + <optional> get you the entire tree; and is that the
same as <desktop> + <optional> and <workstation> + <optional>

or are there packages specific to a variant and not available to any
other variant ? I'm using 'variant' to broadly imply 'product'.

- KB

Old 06-19-2011, 02:51 PM
"Shad L. Lords"

I can confirm that this is not the case. There are some packages that
are only in one variant or another. I don't have the details right now
but could get them for you.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/19/2011 03:51 PM, Shad L. Lords wrote:
> I can confirm that this is not the case. There are some packages that
> are only in one variant or another. I don't have the details right now
> but could get them for you.

that would help, thanks.

- KB

Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM
"Shad L. Lords"

The Server + all additional channels (fasttrack, optional, optional-fasttrack, rhn-tools, supplementary, updates) will give you all of the packages that exist in client and workstation with the exception of the release package.* However client is missing 440 packages that are in server and workstation is missing 40 packages (appear to be all cluster related) that are in server.

If you need more information than this please let me know.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/19/2011 08:04 PM, Shad L. Lords wrote:
> The Server + all additional channels (fasttrack, optional,
> optional-fasttrack, rhn-tools, supplementary, updates) will give you all
> of the packages that exist in client and workstation with the exception
> of the release package. However client is missing 440 packages that are
> in server and workstation is missing 40 packages (appear to be all
> cluster related) that are in server.

this helps. I suspect those 440 rpms are from ComputeNode, Scaleable
Storage etc.

The larger problem I am trying to solve is being able to get a snapshot
in time for the optional repos. from what I can tell, they seem to be
out of sync amongst varients for code content that is shared amongst
each other ( totally wtf! ) - the problem that it creates for *me* is
that I cant workout what was the state of optionals when package Foo was
built. Add another dimension to this : cant easily workout what the
state of optionals was when a point release gets out of the door, making
it even harder to get rpm manifests for 6.1 and so on.

thanks for looking into this stuff,

- KB

Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 AM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 08:51 -0600, Shad L. Lords wrote:
> I can confirm that this is not the case. There are some packages that
> are only in one variant or another. I don't have the details right now
> but could get them for you.

Shad is correct. For example, the "load balancer add-on" has the
piranha packages in it. If you don't have that option, you don't have
access to them.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.32.26-175.fc12.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/20/2011 03:10 AM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Shad is correct. For example, the "load balancer add-on" has the
> piranha packages in it. If you don't have that option, you don't have
> access to them.

Not sure what you mean by 'that option', is it not already there on the
server media and therefore in the server channel on rhn ?