Old 06-03-2011, 04:10 AM
Cody Jackson

Default Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Hi all;

What's the status of the CentOS 5 for the i586 project?

http://wiki.centos.org/Projects/CentOS5PentiumSupport

I was experimenting with my AMD K6-II machine today. By following the
notes at http://wiki.centos.org/TimothyLee/centos5_i586_patch and the
link above, I managed to compile an i586 kernel and deploy it on the
K6 machine, which is now running C5 happily behind me with about 76MB
of RAM. I wrote down the steps I took and the problems I encountered,
which I need to organize a bit.

Is this information useful in any way? I know the K6 is *practically*
dead, but I'm sure there's a few diehards using it still. (Maybe three
or four?)

I'll be playing around with this machine a little more and
experimenting. It was a great learning experience.

Cheers,
Cody Jackson

Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Timothy Lee

On 3/6/2011 12:10, Cody Jackson wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> What's the status of the CentOS 5 for the i586 project?
Umm. No one is officially working on it, as far as I know.
> I was experimenting with my AMD K6-II machine today. By following the
> notes at http://wiki.centos.org/TimothyLee/centos5_i586_patch and the
> link above, I managed to compile an i586 kernel and deploy it on the
> K6 machine, which is now running C5 happily behind me with about 76MB
> of RAM. I wrote down the steps I took and the problems I encountered,
> which I need to organize a bit.
I'm glad that my notes helped you. I was hoping to migrate some i586
machines from Fedora 7 to CentOS 5, but never quite got around to that.
Perhaps you could organize your steps into a wiki page -- even though
there is no official support, at least the steps will be there if
someone else is interested in trying them out.

Regards,
Timothy

Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Leon Fauster

Am 03.06.2011 um 11:26 schrieb Timothy Lee:
> On 3/6/2011 12:10, Cody Jackson wrote:
>> Hi all;
>>
>> What's the status of the CentOS 5 for the i586 project?
>
> Umm. No one is officially working on it, as far as I know.
>

>> I was experimenting with my AMD K6-II machine today. By following the
>> notes at http://wiki.centos.org/TimothyLee/centos5_i586_patch and the
>> link above, I managed to compile an i586 kernel and deploy it on the
>> K6 machine, which is now running C5 happily behind me with about 76MB
>> of RAM. I wrote down the steps I took and the problems I encountered,
>> which I need to organize a bit.
>
> I'm glad that my notes helped you. I was hoping to migrate some i586
> machines from Fedora 7 to CentOS 5, but never quite got around to that.
> Perhaps you could organize your steps into a wiki page -- even though
> there is no official support, at least the steps will be there if
> someone else is interested in trying them out.

Thats quite interesting - i am starting playing with an ALIX.2D13 system now
and was looking into centos 5 support. The cpu is a 500 MHz AMD Geode LX800.
So far my informations, they do not support the i686 instruction set. They
are some hardware encryption support but corresponding kernel patches must
be applied.

Your informations will for sure be very helpful.

Cheers
Leon

Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/03/2011 05:10 AM, Cody Jackson wrote:
> What's the status of the CentOS 5 for the i586 project?

off the top of my head - its not been going anywhere. People have on and
off expressed interest, but never really had the traction to keep up
with it.

> http://wiki.centos.org/Projects/CentOS5PentiumSupport

That seems to be a good place to start the project off from

> link above, I managed to compile an i586 kernel and deploy it on the
> K6 machine, which is now running C5 happily behind me with about 76MB

If you guys want, we can get the project going ( c5-i586 support ) and
get it into a regular / more official channel. The 'challenges' are
going to be :

- Making sure the patchset is sane

- Making sure that we can sync updates between the main centos repos and
the i586 specific one.

- Working out a mechanism that does not need us to reproduce the entire
packageset from the main repo's into the i586 specific ones.

- KB

Old 06-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, June 03, 2011 12:10:23 AM Cody Jackson wrote:
> Is this information useful in any way? I know the K6 is *practically*
> dead, but I'm sure there's a few diehards using it still. (Maybe three
> or four?)

Yes, it's useful. i586, as mentioned already in the thread, is needed for Geode support, as well as VIA C3 support. I have a number of Chompers and Sharptooth boxes lying around that make good embedded systems, with decent amounts of RAM and disk. I also have a few C3 systems, and getting CentOS 5 on them would be nice. Not critical, but nice. Expecially the Nomadix hotspot gateway box, which has multiple 10/100 ports and a very low power setup with decent RAM....

Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Karanbir Singh

hi,

On 06/03/2011 02:11 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Yes, it's useful. i586, as mentioned already in the thread, is needed for Geode support, as well as VIA C3 support. I have a number of Chompers and Sharptooth boxes lying around that make good embedded systems, with decent amounts of RAM and disk. I also have a few C3 systems, and getting CentOS 5 on them would be nice. Not critical, but nice. Expecially the Nomadix hotspot gateway box, which has multiple 10/100 ports and a very low power setup with decent RAM....

looks like a case is building to start considering next-steps in getting
a i586 repo/ in place !

- KB

Old 06-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, June 03, 2011 09:31:55 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
> looks like a case is building to start considering next-steps in getting
> a i586 repo/ in place !

How might such a repo be handled, in terms of development?

Also, there are other 'secondary' architectures that have somewhat languished, including SPARC and IA64. I have interest, and hardware, for both of those.

While I am going to work towards getting the IA64 build done here privately regardless, and may try to do something SPARC as well (that one is harder), having some more information (which could be out there already for all I know) on bootstrapping an architecture would be useful and make the first, biggest, step a tad easier. The Fedora project has info for doing this with Fedora; perhaps a base to work from.

And while I further know that the project wouldn't sign packages that I built here, I would still build packages here for my own purposes anyway.

So having somewhat of a really high-level overview of handling of secondary arches would be useful, to more than just me I'm sure.

In any case, having an i586-bootable setup (even though I'll have to respin the ISO to use serial console on the hardware I have) will be a nice thing indeed.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Les Mikesell

On 6/3/2011 8:31 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> On 06/03/2011 02:11 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> Yes, it's useful. i586, as mentioned already in the thread, is needed for Geode support, as well as VIA C3 support. I have a number of Chompers and Sharptooth boxes lying around that make good embedded systems, with decent amounts of RAM and disk. I also have a few C3 systems, and getting CentOS 5 on them would be nice. Not critical, but nice. Expecially the Nomadix hotspot gateway box, which has multiple 10/100 ports and a very low power setup with decent RAM....
>
> looks like a case is building to start considering next-steps in getting
> a i586 repo/ in place !

Is there any chance this will happen for 6.x as well? There is an
attempt to revive what was once the k12ltsp disto (with ltsp4 for
thin-client booting) that was sidetracked into fedora packages based on
ltsp5, then effectively killed by changes in fedora that were propagated
into RHEL6. At this point the bottom line seems to be that ltsp5 can
mostly be made to work, but since many thin clients are i586 and ltsp5
runs more than just a kernel and X on the client, it will either need a
rebuilt distro that supports i586 or a completely different distribution
in the chroot client space.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/03/2011 03:39 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday, June 03, 2011 09:31:55 AM Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> looks like a case is building to start considering next-steps in getting
>> a i586 repo/ in place !
>
> How might such a repo be handled, in terms of development?

Let me get a potential plan/proposal together. It would need to be
something that can stay in sync with the main os/ and updates/ builds as
a minimum. Although we can perhaps run with a more relaxed test/release
process.

> Also, there are other 'secondary' architectures that have somewhat languished, including SPARC and IA64. I have interest, and hardware, for both of those.

there is actually an ia64 build that runs in parallel with the x86_64 C5
stream.... And there has been a fair bit of work done on Sparc for c6.
Lets work on getting a plan together for these 'extra' archs using the
i586 target as a model - we can then expand that to include other arch's
as well.

I'm also working on bringing in more resources towards the
build/test/release infrastructure over the next few months. Lets see how
that goes.

> And while I further know that the project wouldn't sign packages that I built here, I would still build packages here for my own purposes anyway.

If the development process can churn via patches that get some sort of
peer review, I dont see why the build+sign cant happen inside a centos
builder instance. There is hardware for ia64/i586/sparc available. Keys
are still something to look at further down the road.

> So having somewhat of a really high-level overview of handling of secondary arches would be useful, to more than just me I'm sure.

cool, let me get something together. It will, ofcourse, be a lot easier
in C6 than C4/C5; unless we can migrate the whole c4/c5 buildservices
over to use the event driven stuff in C6

- KB

Old 06-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/03/2011 03:47 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> looks like a case is building to start considering next-steps in getting
>> a i586 repo/ in place !
>
> Is there any chance this will happen for 6.x as well? There is an

Thats really the wrong attitude and question. Let me flip it around :
rather than asking if someone else is going to do this - what are you
willing to do for the i586 in C6 thing to happen ?

- KB