Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Charles Polisher

Default rsync speed (was CentOS 6 status update)

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andrzej Szymański wrote:
> > I don't know whether you use (and can use) the following hack to speed
> > up rsyncing the iso files:
> >
> > - you need to have the full (or mostly complete) package tree on the target
>
> We do some sanity tests that span the buildsys, the intermediary host
> and the final rsync targets. So its important that the first set of
> contents is sync'd out from the buildsys as-is. Perhaps extra caution,
> but we have had problems in the past ( even with rsync saying two files
> are identical when they were clearly not ).
>
> On the other hand, the ISOS can be fairly easily re-created from the
> tree, so if the rpms tree are is already in place that would be easier
> than going down the tar route.

I found out the hard way in a large production setting
about rsync parameters that were "new to me":

--bwlimit=0
(Don't throttle transfers that run "too quickly")

--whole-file
(don't use the delta-xfer algorithm,
the whole file needs replacing)

--sockopts=TCP_NODELAY
(_might_ be useful, you'd have to test
if it helps on your system)

and apropos of well-defined behavior, you might have
overlooked:

--delay-updates

This option puts the temporary file from each
updated file into a holding directory until the
end of the transfer, at which time all the files
are renamed into place in rapid succession. This
attempts to make the updating of the files a
little more atomic.
--
Charles Polisher

Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/02/2011 03:15 PM, Charles Polisher wrote:
> and apropos of well-defined behavior, you might have
> overlooked:
>
> --delay-updates

the msync machines all run with this option set, since it can take a
while to get 20 odd Gigs per release into place across 90 odd machines

Thanks for the tips and helpful feedback.

- KB