Old 05-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Jeff Sheltren

Default Help with LiveCD for 6.0

If someone is willing to help, we need assistance in creating the
LiveCD for CentOS 6.0. There is a task in the QAWeb tracker for this
here:

http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/65

If you are willing/able to help, please reply here or we can discuss
in #centos-devel or #centos-social - I'm Jeff_S there.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Jerry Amundson

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Jeff Sheltren <jeff@osuosl.org> wrote:
> If someone is willing to help, we need assistance in creating the
> LiveCD for CentOS 6.0. *There is a task in the QAWeb tracker for this
> here:
>
> http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/65
>
> If you are willing/able to help, please reply here or we can discuss
> in #centos-devel or #centos-social - I'm Jeff_S there.

I can/will help. What is needed?
I see FabianArrotin posted to the task regarding light gnome
desktop+firefox. I can test that, and/or start a parallel LiveMedia
with XFCE (or KDE)... My account on QAWeb is not approved, so replies
here are better. I'll also hang out in IRC as jamundso.

thanks,
jerry

Old 05-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Jeff Sheltren

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Jerry Amundson <jamundso@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can/will help. What is needed?
> I see FabianArrotin posted to the task regarding light gnome
> desktop+firefox. I can test that, and/or start a parallel LiveMedia
> with XFCE (or KDE)... My account on QAWeb is not approved, so replies
> here are better. I'll also hang out in IRC as jamundso.

Jerry, thanks for the help. Your account on QAweb should be activated
so feel free to follow up on the ticket directly. Yes, Fabian did
some initial work yesterday/today and it's probably best at this point
if you can test out his kickstart file(s) and see that they are
working OK for you.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> Jerry, thanks for the help. Your account on QAweb should be activated
> so feel free to follow up on the ticket directly. Yes, Fabian did
> some initial work yesterday/today and it's probably best at this point
> if you can test out his kickstart file(s) and see that they are
> working OK for you.

I would strongly suggest adding GParted and other system tools.

5.x LiveCD lacked mdadm. I guess 6.0 kernel has mdadm support, but if it
does not make sure you added to CD. Also do not forget about archivers
and file managers available, so that LiveCD can be used as
repair/recovery tool as well.

Ljubomir

Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 05/24/2011 02:23 AM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/65
> I can/will help. What is needed?

thanks for stepping up.

> I see FabianArrotin posted to the task regarding light gnome
> desktop+firefox. I can test that, and/or start a parallel LiveMedia
> with XFCE (or KDE)... My account on QAWeb is not approved, so replies
> here are better. I'll also hang out in IRC as jamundso.

A while back we did a short survey on whats the most popular things that
people download as updates from the centos machines and the result
basically boiled down to, it would be good to have :

* C6-liveDVD as a desktop environ

* C6-liveCD as a trimmed down desktop, focus on system tools, trim docs
and other excess stuff ( I guess, use the c5 livecd script for hints)

* C6-RescueLiveCD with system tools [1]

And have one of those per arch

[1] primary aim for this was that it could be deployed via USB media
and/or in a PXE environ, also this does not need a
install-from-live-media functionality. Also there might be some scope
for this RescueLiveCD to be done away from the distro as a part of the
cranberry project ( projects.centos.org ). If we are going to bring in
things that are not a part of the core distro - it would certainly need
go down that route.

In terms of deliverable: it would be a kickstart and any notes needed to
make the build happen. The actual build itself will happen inside the
CentOS Buildsys ( and for the first time, in sync with the main distro
build! )

- KB

Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 05/24/2011 04:45 AM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> Jerry, thanks for the help. Your account on QAweb should be activated
> so feel free to follow up on the ticket directly. Yes, Fabian did
> some initial work yesterday/today and it's probably best at this point
> if you can test out his kickstart file(s) and see that they are
> working OK for you.

Jeff, is it worth having sub-tasks for each 'type' of livecd being done ?

- KB

Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Jeff Sheltren

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 4:14 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> Jeff, is it worth having sub-tasks for each 'type' of livecd being done ?

Yep, good point. Adding those to the issue tracker now.

-Jeff

Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Charles Polisher

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 05/24/2011 02:23 AM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> >> http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/65
> > I can/will help. What is needed?
>
> thanks for stepping up.

Ditto that!

<snip>

> A while back we did a short survey on whats the most popular things that
> people download as updates from the centos machines and the result
> basically boiled down to, it would be good to have :
>
> * C6-liveDVD as a desktop environ
>
> * C6-liveCD as a trimmed down desktop, focus on system tools, trim docs
> and other excess stuff ( I guess, use the c5 livecd script for hints)
>
> * C6-RescueLiveCD with system tools [1]
>
> And have one of those per arch
>
> [1] primary aim for this was that it could be deployed via USB media
> and/or in a PXE environ, also this does not need a
> install-from-live-media functionality. Also there might be some scope
> for this RescueLiveCD to be done away from the distro as a part of the
> cranberry project ( projects.centos.org ). If we are going to bring in
> things that are not a part of the core distro - it would certainly need
> go down that route.
>
> In terms of deliverable: it would be a kickstart and any notes needed to
> make the build happen. The actual build itself will happen inside the
> CentOS Buildsys ( and for the first time, in sync with the main distro
> build! )

A friend has always had a beef with CentOS live CD that it
hadn't provided an option for "I like it, now do a real, full
installation to the hard drive". I'm not clear as to if your
comments covered such. Is this an envisioned use-case? If not,
was this usage included in the survey? I could be talked into
further research/implementation if this is on target.

Thanks,
--
Charles Polisher

Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Jeff Sheltren

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Charles Polisher <cpolish@surewest.net> wrote:
> A friend has always had a beef with CentOS live CD that it
> hadn't provided an option for "I like it, now do a real, full
> installation to the hard drive". I'm not clear as to if your
> comments covered such. Is this an envisioned use-case? If not,
> was this usage included in the survey? I could be talked into
> further research/implementation if this is on target.

Yes, both the LiveCD and LiveDVD are planned to support an install to
HDD option.

-Jeff

Old 05-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Charles Polisher

Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> Yes, both the LiveCD and LiveDVD are planned to support an install to
> HDD option.

Thanks!