-   -   published errata at http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/ and how that relates to CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/523725-published-errata-http-rhn-redhat-com-errata-how-relates-centos.html)

"Jason Pyeron" 05-08-2011 01:46 PM

published errata at http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/ and how that relates to CentOS

Surly the GPL would still apply. So them must be available somehow.

> My understanding of this program is that the SRPMS are only
> suppled to the specific customers.

- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -

Ned Slider 05-08-2011 03:51 PM

On 08/05/11 14:46, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> [...]

Yes, the GPL applies and yes the SRPMS are available - to customers who
purchased an Extended Update Support (EUS) contract from Red Hat and
whom also receive the "software" in binary form. As Red Hat don't
distribute the software to you (either privately or publicly) they are
under no obligation under the GPL to make the source code available to
you either.

Please feel free to purchase an EUS contract from Red Hat and make the
SRPMS available on your public FTP server, under the terms of the GPL.

Also, consider whether such would be detrimental to Red Hat's ability to
add value to their product which ultimately has to hurt CentOS too.

Florian La Roche 05-09-2011 04:07 AM

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 06:21:05AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 05/08/2011 12:40 AM, Florian La Roche wrote:
> > Does CentOS wants to start compiling also Extended Update Support (EUS)
> > rpms? (Instead of EUS, Red Hat seems to call this also "Long Life".)
> > - From the extended list of errata you can see many addon rpms which are
> > all Open Source. In addition to the base Enterprise Linux, does CentOS
> > want to recompile additional products?
>
> I am pretty sure that Red Hat does not publish the "Extended Update
> Support" source files on their FTP site. Do you know of a public place
> where those SRPMS are at?
>
> My understanding of this program is that the SRPMS are only suppled to
> the specific customers.

Hello,

I haven't seen them available publically.

Once you go to this small set of changes, I think doing this only per specific
customer also makes a lot of sense. (As a community project, backporting servers
to older releases could be a worthwhile project.)

best regards,

Florian La Roche