Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Johnny Hughes

Default published errata at http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/ and how that relates to CentOS

On 05/08/2011 12:40 AM, Florian La Roche wrote:
> On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 07:27:17AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> We contact upstream every time we see one of these, but are kind of at
>> their mercy if they don't follow up.
>

> Hello Johnny,

<snip>

> Does CentOS wants to start compiling also Extended Update Support (EUS)
> rpms? (Instead of EUS, Red Hat seems to call this also "Long Life".)
> - From the extended list of errata you can see many addon rpms which are
> all Open Source. In addition to the base Enterprise Linux, does CentOS
> want to recompile additional products?

I am pretty sure that Red Hat does not publish the "Extended Update
Support" source files on their FTP site. Do you know of a public place
where those SRPMS are at?

My understanding of this program is that the SRPMS are only suppled to
the specific customers.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM
R P Herrold

On Mon, 9 May 2011, Florian La Roche wrote:

> Once you go to this small set of changes, I think doing this only per specific
> customer also makes a lot of sense. (As a community project, backporting servers
> to older releases could be a worthwhile project.)

An infinity of potentially 'worthwhile projects' exist ... but
CentOS is about being a strict rebuild, with trademark and
branding fixups. To the extent THIS project starts getting
into the back porting, we have people start to relying on such
'out of scope' efforts .... and then we 'draw fire' for not
meeting someone's need or expectations beyond being a strict
rebuild.

I don't see that we at CentOS should be doing that

-- Russ herrold