Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Johnny Hughes

Default CentOS 6 status update (relayed from the web forum)

On 05/06/2011 02:47 PM, Mike Doroshenko wrote:
> On 05/06/2011 12:49 AM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
>> target-1) tree's to QA
>
> What does /target-1) tree's to QA/ mean? I know QA stands for Quality Assurance, but /tree's to Quality Assurance/ still doesn't make sense to me.

If you look on mirror.centos.org, what we consider a "Tree" is the 5.6
directory or the 4.8 directory.

In this particular case, we are saying that we will get all the RPMs
(built) in the 6.0 to QA to look at.

They will be installable as RPMs from the directory (ie, like the
updates directory).

We may have network installable boot images at that point, but we will
not have a full set of installable / bootable ISOs.

Once we run several sets of tests in QA with many kinds of installs (or
updating over other installs for other than the .0 releases) and once we
fix issues found with these RPMS, then we will generate the actual
install ISOs and test those.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Ferry Huberts

On 06/02/2011 04:24 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 01:15 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>> if it's that important: rsync --checksum
>> it's expensive but will guarantee identity
>
> it actually does not, the -c option was tried at the time as well. It
> turned out to be a bug in rsync itself ( in the 2.6.9 version ); who's
> to say there are no more of those!

ah, that would be a problem yes ;-)

keep up the good work!
--
Ferry Huberts

Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/02/2011 04:01 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>> it actually does not, the -c option was tried at the time as well. It
>> turned out to be a bug in rsync itself ( in the 2.6.9 version ); who's
>> to say there are no more of those!
>
> ah, that would be a problem yes ;-)

I just realised that no mention was made of the problem - we had a
situation in 5.2 release days where a repomd file with a clearly
different timestamp was being considered by rsync to be identical, even
with the -c flag on. Similarly we had issues with the comps-extras rpms
being considered identical when they clearly were not, resigning the
package also made no difference.

> keep up the good work!

thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Phil Schaffner

Karanbir Singh wrote on 06/02/2011 10:25 AM:
> On 06/02/2011 01:49 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CDtoDVDMedia
>>
>> fails with a package tree for lack of a .discinfo file. If there is a
>> simple process for creating one it could be incorporated into the script.
>>

> i dont know whats on the end of that wiki article, am http less at the
> moment - however, even the cd's should have a .discinfo

The Wiki article mainly comprises a script, originally by Chris Kloiber
<ckloiber@redhat.com> with tweaks by yours truly, that can build a DVD
iso from CDs, or a package tree - given that a .discinfo file is
available. If there are no ISOs yet available, as for instance with the
current QA tree, the script does not know how to create a .discinfo on
the fly, nor do I. I did look around a bit in the past (that being
circa 2008) but failed to come up with the formula; however, I would
assume the developers must know the correct magic incantation.

It occurs to me while writing this that the script also does not know
how to split things up if more than one DVD is required, as that was not
a concern when the script was created, nor when I modified it for the Wiki.

Phil

Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 06/02/2011 07:58 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> available. If there are no ISOs yet available, as for instance with the
> current QA tree, the script does not know how to create a .discinfo on
> the fly, nor do I. I did look around a bit in the past (that being
> circa 2008) but failed to come up with the formula; however, I would
> assume the developers must know the correct magic incantation.

the .discinfo and .treeinfo are created when the installer builds, and
it contains content that needs to be in sync with the installer images -
so manually creating it isnt going to cut it

- KB